BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-22-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
ExMX5
Engineering Tool
Rep
Drives:

Exclamation Confidence crisis

OK. Car's due to be built in 3 weeks.

Problem is I keep seeing coupes everywhere and they look so good I've been tempted to change the order from vert to coupe!

Your thoughts, please!

(EDIT: stupid iPhone auto correct, grumble mumble - I've ordered a vert, not a "very" LOL)

Due December 15th!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
I love my coupe. But then I live in Belgium where it rains all the time so a vert would be a mobile bathtub...

If you're gonna change you better hurry. Your production order will be locked very soon.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Horses for courses. GF wanted me to get a vert. I like the lighter weight & structural integrity of a coupe.
      09-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Don't want to answer your question at the risk of alienising vert owners, but if your car's being built in 3 weeks, how come you don't get it until March???
      09-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
morgie2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

Vert has all the virtues of the coupe, with the added feature of "open air" driving. Stick with the vert!! BTW, seeing coupes everywhere would really make me want to keep the vert.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Horses for courses. GF wanted me to get a vert. I like the lighter weight & structural integrity of a coupe.
I found the vert I testdrove a bit wobbly on bumpy roads. I'm sure it's one of the stiffest convertibles on the market but it didn't feel as composed as the coupe I drove straight after.
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
I've actually seen more verts in the road than the coupe. Most of them being 120i verts.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I wouldn't mind a vert as a family cruiser now and then. I miss having a convertible sometimes. But would I buy a vert over a coupe? No.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

ExMX5

I think the answer is quite easy...
If you are not pushing the car to limits, even a 128 is fine
Much depends on things like...

Do you have a garage?
Do you drive or park anywhere where there are vandals?
Do you have loads of sun and little rain?
Do like wearing loads of sunblock?
What do the other people who will be in the car think?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
Mate, if your original thought was the vert, then you should stick with it. You obviously thought that was the right car for you at the time and since then, as far as I can tell, nothing has happened to you personally to make you dislike the vert. The fact that you see coupe's running around shouldn't distract you, it's horses for courses. I never considered the vert when buying my coupe as that wasn't what i desired. They are a nice car, make no mistake, but not for me.

Go with your heart...I think you'll find you still want that vert!
      09-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
ECarbonFiber
Rep
Drives:

i <3 my coupe, but sometimes i wish i got a vert just for something different and because my E82 is a 2nd car. Never had one, and my vision of a vert with the top down and and Race-Roll bar w/ cross and harness bars would just...speechless
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
1ATTIC
Private
Rep
Drives:

We've loved our vert. Never having even sat in one before purchasing our 1, I am blown away by the feeling every time I put the top down and fly.....

The fact that there are fewer verts than coupes in a positive for me, everyone seems to notice the new 1 vert! Performance is more than adequate, and I'll drive the 128 before our E46 every time.

Now it's not just transportation, it's an adventure (even just popping out for groceries).

Go for your vert, you won't be disappointed.
Premium Sound
Moonlight Black Soft Top
Steptronic
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #13
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Bit tempted to order a 120i vert for the missus. We're getting one as a test drive for a weekend once the weather fines up.

Let's face it, you're not going to be disappointed in either the vert or the coupe.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #14
ExMX5
Engineering Tool
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Don't want to answer your question at the risk of alienising vert owners, but if your car's being built in 3 weeks, how come you don't get it until March???
Sorry, my bad - expected build date is end of November, so I actually have a month and 3 weeks!

After reading through your replies it seems many of you have come to the same conclusion I have: both cars are awesome - How can I lose?

To answer EB's questions: Car'll be garaged constantly, I rarely park where vandalism happens (though my poor MX5 got keyed recently!), I already love my little go-kart with leather seats but want to trade up to something which is easier to drive long distance (took my 5 across the Nullabor to Melb - was a pretty tiring experience) but not at the cost of fun.

As a trade-up from the MX5, I think I'm going to stick with the vert - at least the soft top will be a familiar part then!

Due December 15th!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #15
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMX5 View Post
OK. Car's due to be built in 3 weeks.

Problem is I keep seeing coupes everywhere and they look so good I've been tempted to change the order from vert to coupe!

Your thoughts, please!

(EDIT: stupid iPhone auto correct, grumble mumble - I've ordered a vert, not a "very" LOL)
Interesting dilemma...

I too think the 1er vert is the best looking on the series !!!

Convertibles of a certain model range not always but usually are the best looking of their model range !

I too would prefer a 135i vert over a 135i coupe, but because I already own and will be keeping a different soft top vert, I don't want another...

Having said that, in your case you really need to decide which you really prefer and/or need ! and obviously you need to do it quickly :smile:

Keep in mind the the vert would be less practical than the coupe, but if it's going to be a weekend/occaisionally driven vehicle, that won't matter much...vert will also cost a little more.

On the other hand if performance is your primary need, then stick to the coupe :smile:

Tough one, all the best of luck with it :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #16
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I guess it's going to come down to what you want - looks or drive?

oh hang on, you get both of those with the coupe }
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #17
harpoon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I think the verts are one of the best looking verts around - especially with the top down.

I prefer the coupe though
      09-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #18
lindenberger
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 135 - DCT

If the vert was a hardtop vert like the 335 then I'd get one....

The 135 vert looks great with the top down, however once that black rag is up it looks a little meh IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 10:01 PM   #19
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Why change your mind now??

The vert looks awesome roof up or down..Ok, it is a bit stiffer than the coupe but unless you are going to track the car, that shouldnt bother you.

The only negative for the vert is that it has less rear seat width and leg room..otherwise..

STICK WITH THE VERT
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 11:54 PM   #20
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

When I was looking at the vert my dear wife quoted Jeremy Clarkson "Nobody wants to see your head, dear!" Lovely, isn't she.

Anyway, if you look like Pitt, Clooney or likewise - fine! If you look like me (according to the missus) - get a coupe and tint the windows!

Little does she know I'm gonna trade her X5 on a Kia Carnival

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 01:35 AM   #21
ExMX5
Engineering Tool
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Why change your mind now??
Obsessively browsing this forum and checking out the monaco blue coupe thread :biggrin:

Nah - I'm pretty set on the vert, just wanted to see what you guys think.

I'm hoping the chassis isn't that much looser than the coupe but I think my MX5 is pretty rigid and in test driving the vert seemed more solid than that.

I do see what 123d means though; when I test drove the coupe it seemed a bit more composed on the road, but then again I couldn't hear the exhaust burble or intake as well until I opened all the windows and the sunroof!

I guess I'm just more suited for convertible life :biggrin:

Now if only it would arrive faster...

@amk2912 - LOL, the gf would be walking for a couple of weeks if she reeled that off! That calls for a Ssangyong!

Due December 15th!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 04:00 AM   #22
volk613
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Silver 135i sunroof

Personally i prefer the look of a coupe over a vert with the top up. That goes for pretty much all verts i've seen. also does anyone worry about security of a soft stop?