BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The showdown we've all been waiting for....135i vs. Cayman

According to this, Fifth gear will be doing a shootout between the 135i and the Porsche Cayman in their show on 18th Feb. :w00t:

"This week, Tiff Needell and Jason Plato go headto-head in pair of £30,000 coupes: the new BMW 135i Coupe and the Porsche Cayman. They put the cars through a series of extreme performance tests to see which one has the edge – the more powerful BMW or the more expensive Porsche."

http://forums.finalgear.com/fifth-ge...-2008-a-25044/

Does anyone know how soon after the show that the videos are available on the net as we run a season behind, and this has to be one of the most eagerly awaited showdowns.
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

You can get the vids hours after they run. FinalGear.com will have the link to the torrent on the main page.

This is great news both Tiff and Jason are great drivers and will definitely give the 135 a sound flogging.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
EVO Magazine said the 135i feels faster than a Cayman S, so i would imagine it will absolutely smoke the regular Cayman in a straight line. In a race around a track I imagine it would be close. But as for a buying decision, given daily usability, price, image, I think the 135i is the choice hands down.

The regular Cayman is an embarrassing car, it seems like it would only be bought by someone who has to have a Porsche car, cause people say the Boxster seems more delicate steering feel-wise, and its not like either would be more usable in bad weather or a daily drive (its a mid engined sports car after all). I'd have a Boxster way before a Cayman, and a 135i i'd have over both of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Twisted
TwistedHouse
Rep
Drives:

18th of feb too far away arrggghhh...

Thanks for the info though. I'm hoping when Top Gear starts S11 that they'll be putting the 135i through its paces in an early episode
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
18th of feb too far away arrggghhh...

Thanks for the info though. I'm hoping when Top Gear starts S11 that they'll be putting the 135i through its paces in an early episode
Yes 18th Feb is far away, but it is a little milestone that gets me 2 weeks closer to getting my car :thumbup:

I'm also hoping that TopGear will do a comparison early on in season 11 and it will be interesting to see Jeremy's take on it given his 5 star rating in the press.
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
slipkmaggot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

when does s11 of topgear start?
      02-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkmaggot View Post
when does s11 of topgear start?
I thought I read summer somewhere:iono:
      02-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
lifesaride
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
EVO Magazine said the 135i feels faster than a Cayman S, so i would imagine it will absolutely smoke the regular Cayman in a straight line. In a race around a track I imagine it would be close. But as for a buying decision, given daily usability, price, image, I think the 135i is the choice hands down.

The regular Cayman is an embarrassing car, it seems like it would only be bought by someone who has to have a Porsche car, cause people say the Boxster seems more delicate steering feel-wise, and its not like either would be more usable in bad weather or a daily drive (its a mid engined sports car after all). I'd have a Boxster way before a Cayman, and a 135i i'd have over both of them.
I doubt think that many Cayman owners need their Caymans for hauling on the way to work, so I'd think it wouldn't matter. I hear you're right though and dealers are giving some pretty nice discounts to move them. Maybe the Boxster's appeal was in that it's a convertible?

I can't wait to see this.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
No matter how you look at it, the Cayman is the better balanced car. That car has incredible potential just waiting to be unleashed.
      02-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #10
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Cayman, get ready to get a riped a new one!
      02-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #11
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

When they define expectations by saying "...to see which one has the edge – the more powerful BMW or the more expensive Porsche..." it'll be hard for the comparison to be disfavorable to the 135i. If it's seen to be inferior overall, it's still more powerful and less expensive. Pressure's on the Cayman...

Price diff in Canada is about $21,000 between the Cayman ($63K) and the 135i ($41,700), so it'll really be about "how good a value is the 135i?"...
      02-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #12
Twisted
TwistedHouse
Rep
Drives:

Well i don't know how they're comparing it but i think here, pricing must be crazy then... because a 2nd hand / used Cayman is around double the price of a 135i, so for me the decision would be simple.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #13
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love View Post
No matter how you look at it, the Cayman is the better balanced car. That car has incredible potential just waiting to be unleashed.
Have you driven a cayman..?

I test drove it.. its slow, not comfortable, gear box is stiff as hell and expensive thou I cant deny the handling.. but when the suspension is as stiff as a M3 to begin with you better expect that.. maybe a Cayman S with more power..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #14
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Two different cars........both great in their own right.
The Cayman sounds great. rides tight,handles like a go cart and is a fast car. I't comfortable for long drives and can fit much more in it than people are aware.
When I get my 135 I can do a good real world evaluation of the two.
The track times are one thing and real world driving experence is another.
I plan to have great fun driving them back to back on the same roads.

:roundel: :smile: :roundel: :smile:

And yes...the Cayman cost way more (actually we have an S)
Appreciate 0