BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
jonack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Boxster Dilemma!

I have three friends who own new Boxsters, the latest being a 2008 silver model. Since I have a penchant for roadsters, I refused to take the silver bullet for a test run in fear that I might do something stupid. It didn't matter! Prior to the winter months I went through a one week delirium, resulting in my contacting Porsche dealerships with the intent of getting one. The problem is that the Boxster would be my only car, and that I would have to drive it in the winter. Imagine... I was inquiring about putting snows on a Boxster! (It illustrates how one becomes stupid when in heat!) I recovered and eventually satisfied my craving by ordering the 135i. (Sparkling Graphite / Coral Red Interior / Loaded) Actually, back in September and prior to my delirium, I was intending to trade my 2003 330xi for a new 335Xi. However, I was disappointed in the new 3 series - too large; and, after having Boxsters being waved in my face, I was compelled to get a sporty car that was a little more practical. I have been reading the comparisons between the 135i and Boxster, and even though the Boxster wins in most categories, the 135i certainly gives it a run for the money... At this point, I am pleased with my choice....
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

Jonack, how did the pricing compare between the trim/equipment level you would have wanted in the Boxster and what you ordered in the 135i?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
jonack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

The Boxster was close to 60,000.... My 135i is 44,700.00 ( without active steering, HD & satellite radio...).. If I lived in Florida, I would get a used Boxster....
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

The boxster is just a different car, but not that much different. That being said for the money, I'll take the more reliable, stronger frame, more powerful, more torque, more straightline acceleration, more backseat, more trunk and more subtle 1er.

I think Tom Petty said it best when he said, The waiting is the hard is part.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
colonel1961
Rammer Jammer
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonack View Post
I have three friends who own new Boxsters, the latest being a 2008 silver model. Since I have a penchant for roadsters, I refused to take the silver bullet for a test run in fear that I might do something stupid. It didn't matter! Prior to the winter months I went through a one week delirium, resulting in my contacting Porsche dealerships with the intent of getting one. The problem is that the Boxster would be my only car, and that I would have to drive it in the winter. Imagine... I was inquiring about putting snows on a Boxster! (It illustrates how one becomes stupid when in heat!) I recovered and eventually satisfied my craving by ordering the 135i. (Sparkling Graphite / Coral Red Interior / Loaded) Actually, back in September and prior to my delirium, I was intending to trade my 2003 330xi for a new 335Xi. However, I was disappointed in the new 3 series - too large; and, after having Boxsters being waved in my face, I was compelled to get a sporty car that was a little more practical. I have been reading the comparisons between the 135i and Boxster, and even though the Boxster wins in most categories, the 135i certainly gives it a run for the money... At this point, I am pleased with my choice....
Haven't driven my 128i Cv yet, but owned a great Boxster several years ago. Truly a fine car, but it was a second car. You've probably made the right decision - for every day use, the Porsche would be tiresome...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Porsche is more reliable..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymond View Post
The boxster is just a different car, but not that much different. That being said for the money, I'll take the more reliable, stronger frame, more powerful, more torque, more straightline acceleration, more backseat, more trunk and more subtle 1er.

I think Tom Petty said it best when he said, The waiting is the hard is part.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Dare I say a Boxster is a chick car? Honestly, I only see women driving them around here.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
j330xi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp

Sold my Boxster and placed the deposit for a 135i Cab (aka 'Vert)...

Drove my Boxster (1998) year round and it IS a year round car, with snows for winter.. Great car, and TONS of fun, very practical and has more trunk space than the 1'er.. unless you include the rear seats..

I looked at a new Boxster, but it was $65K+ for the options I would want and NO Bluetooth, and no Sat radio....Two things I love about my 330xi (2006) and do not want to be without. Also, had a 318ti which was so much fun, I cannot wait to get back to a small BMW.

I also am tired of the "Porsche Attitude"... the "if you want it you can have it, BUT pay us three times what it is worth"... $3300 for an auto trans...

135i vs Boxster... 135i wins.... More powerful, cheaper to own,
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

My Boxster S is gone and a 135I is on order. I needed a more practical daily driver. The Boxster was terrible in traffic with the top up -- no visibility for changing lanes which is something I had not considered. On the other hand, the Boxster is a beautiful car and very well balanced, I am sad to see it gone.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #10
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgf330xi View Post
has more trunk space than the 1'er.
Not buyin that....I've got a Cayman, which has more room than the Boxster and it doesn't have more than the 1er. Unless you are adding the front and rear areas together for a total. The 1er can fit 2 golf bags in the trunk with the rear seats up (I hear....need to confirm). I can do 2 golf bags plus in the Cayman. They lay front to rear across the engine "lump". Is that possible in the Boxster ?
Anyway, this is not an attack on your statement, more a question of it.
In a perfect world you could keep the Boxster and add the 1er :biggrin::biggrin:

Edit....wow, just noticed your location.....way down there in MD aren't you.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 12:12 AM   #11
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I have owned a Boxster S and have to say that it is a fantastic car with great balance. However I think the 135i will be a really fun car too, with lots more torque. In terms of trunk space, the 1 series is always going to win as it has the rear seat space that you can use as trunk space. For that same reason I found my 997 to be more practical than my Boxster S.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 06:58 AM   #12
bobr2001
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Dare I say a Boxster is a chick car? Honestly, I only see women driving them around here.
+1 Yep!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 08:11 AM   #13
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP 135i View Post
They lay front to rear across the engine "lump". Is that possible in the Boxster ?
Anyway, this is not an attack on your statement, more a question of it.
In a perfect world you could keep the Boxster and add the 1er :biggrin::biggrin:

Edit....wow, just noticed your location.....way down there in MD aren't you.
Not possible in the Boxster, particularly with the Brey-Krause in place -- only way to put anything in that space is the same way you access the engine. Put the top part way down, disconnect back of top and fold forward, put stuff in there, reconnect back of top, raise top. The 997 would have been a better daily driver; but, I would have worried about where I parked it.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #14
PB07NOVA
Private
Rep
Drives: 328iT

Quote:
I'll double that comment by saying ALL convertibles are 'chick cars', if that definition includes posing and more show and little go. No self-respecting sports car enthusiast would be caught dead in a convertible when a hardtop version is available. An open top vehicle weighs more (and therefore detracts all aspects of performance) and the chassis is too flexible for spirited handling. Don't even mention the practical drawbacks: a soft top lets in way more road noise and is an invitation for theft/vandalism.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #15
PDZ01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i BSM

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I would be inclined to make the same dare. Did you ever see the
2 1/2 men episode where Charlies brother got one?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #16
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR08NOVA View Post
I'll double that comment by saying ALL convertibles are 'chick cars', if that definition includes posing and more show and little go. No self-respecting sports car enthusiast would be caught dead in a convertible when a hardtop version is available. An open top vehicle weighs more (and therefore detracts all aspects of performance) and the chassis is too flexible for spirited handling. Don't even mention the practical drawbacks: a soft top lets in way more road noise and is an invitation for theft/vandalism.
there are exceptions to this rule, I'm sure car enthusiast would love the cars below.

Ferrari360/430 spiders, they perform extremely well soft top or other wise. Zonda's, Lambo's perform like no one's business with soft tops.

But in general you're right.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #17
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
That's a pretty ridiculous blanket statement. For instance, the S2000 was designed to be structurally rigid, comes only in 6MT, and provides a "pure" driving experience.

The hard top Miata weighs more than the soft top version (and with the top up the weight is at the top of the car), so why would an enthusiast pick the hard top model if they were going to track it?

Sure, there are several feminine roadsters, but being a convertible does not automatically relegate a car to chic car status. Any self-respecting sports car enthusiast knows that.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #18
looking
Captain
Rep

^^^

Agree... I totally forgot to add miata and the S2000.....but they're definitely car enthusiast's cars
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #19
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
What a stupid statement that is.
A lot of 1er enthusiasts on this MB are going for the 1er Cabrio.
Why piss off a sizeable portion of this MB with such an ignorant post? :iono:
I was hoping this MB wouldn't attract the kind of poster who makes blanket inflammatory judgements and bash an entire class of car or fans thereof..
Maybe it was too much to hope for.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #20
looking
Captain
Rep

^^^^

Don't get baited into flaming. To each their own. All we can do is present them with well informed facts, it's up to them to form their own opinion. This MB is good at this..I hope it keeps up too.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #21
lifesaride
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonack View Post
See this is why I'm afraid of Clinton getting elected (sorry I couldn't resist).

And I would definitely take a 135i over the Boxster. Looks better and it's def more practical. Plus torque is awesome. my last car was an srt-4 w/340lb ft, it's requisite. I'm in this camp. Convertibles don't look as good as coupes.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #22
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
True to a certain extend. All soft top versions of hard top cars are heavier and less rigid. However some cars are dedicated open top cars, such as the ones mentioned above. But those aren't even hardcore sportscars. A Carrera GT and F50 comes to mind when I think of hardcore open top cars.
Appreciate 0