BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
speedM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

one month anniversary

I've had my AW 1M for one month this past weekend, and I figured I'd post some photos I took of my car and rattle off some thoughts.

Although I've put very few miles on her, I have to say that I'm finally getting to know the ins and outs, and the characteristics of the 1M. First off, I haven't had a modern BMW in quite a while, so it's quite a treat to have all the luxuries of a loaded car (ie. nav, comfort access, idrive, iphone integration, power seats, folding and auto dimming mirrors, etc.). The N54 has been an adjustment, as it's my first turbo motor (I've had a 89 E30 325i, 95 E36 M3). Around town, its power delivery isn't always well suited for tight confines or traffic, as once boost comes on the car gets moving a little too fast for my own good. The 1M and its big wheels and wide track actually feels bigger than it actually is (my dd is a R53 MCS). Once on the highway, the car is so extremely smooth and composed that it often feels slow, until I realize that I'm doing close to triple digits. Merging into traffic and passing other cars is ridiculous; the other cars seem to be at a standstill.

Overall, I don't think I was truly impressed with this car (or understood it's charm) until I treated it to some mountain roads this past Sunday. I hit up Glendora Mountain Road in Southern California (tight, mostly 2nd and some 3rd gear stretches) with a good friend, and all I can say now is WOW. With the windows rolled down, temps hovering in the mid to high 70s, the 1M was a very willing and capable dance partner. The car was very light on its feet, as was its steering, but extremely communicative and precise. With its squat stance, fat tires, and electronic nannies, the 1M never broke a sweat, even with the tight switchbacks and tricky decreasing radius corners. Squirting from corner to corner was a joy, acceleration truly addictive as was the mechanical whine of the BMW straight six and the purr and growl of the stock exhaust note. The balance of the car was impeccable, and the car felt flatter through the transitions than I remembered on the city streets. I think sometimes we forget how overly engineered and capable these cars have become, that in everyday driving a lot of the fun and enjoyment of the car cannot be truly exploited. I certainly remember now, why I bought this car.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Beautiful photos, I especially like the first and last.
Thanks for the write up. Although it's already been said many times its always good to hear. Maybe it has quite a bit to do with me still waiting for the car.
Any faults you could find at all with your car and is this your DD?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Great Shots op!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
bloodsales
Private
China
Rep
Drives: M3&1M

AW is beautiful!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Great shots AW is purrrfect. Glad your enjoying her.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
speedM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooBs View Post
Beautiful photos, I especially like the first and last.
Thanks for the write up. Although it's already been said many times its always good to hear. Maybe it has quite a bit to do with me still waiting for the car.
Any faults you could find at all with your car and is this your DD?
Thanks guys. Any faults? Not really. The idrive is a bit clunky still at times, and does take a lot of attention to operate (I'm sure this gets better with time and familiarity). I'm a little OCD so having a new car makes me paranoid about keeping it nice, but other than that I love driving the car. The mini is still the dd for now, having a hard time getting rid of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Beemer22
Banned
Iran
Rep
Drives: SOLD: 2002 BMW M3, 2011 BMW 1M

Beautiful car, the black does not nearly show the lines and all the details of this body style and the orance looks better in person than in pics but the AW is really the best look for this car.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
Texas F1
1M Owner
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora 410, BMW 1M, Z4

Very nice shots and great use of sun and shadows to create some visual interest! I need to find some interesting backdrops (other than my driveway) and get out and take some shots of my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer22 View Post
Beautiful car, the black does not nearly show the lines and all the details of this body style and the orance looks better in person than in pics but the AW is really the best look for this car.
In your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

These are great shots!

Can you link/post larger version of the photos?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
speedM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas F1 View Post
Very nice shots and great use of sun and shadows to create some visual interest! I need to find some interesting backdrops (other than my driveway) and get out and take some shots of my car.
Yeah, I'm usually too lazy to get out for the sake of photos too, I'd rather drive.. haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
speedM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
These are great shots!

Can you link/post larger version of the photos?
PM me if you want a specific size.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Happy I did go for the AW! ;-)
Appreciate 0