BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
jonwilli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E81 130i

ESS N52 Supercharger - any updates....

I'm new to the forum but have read articles and threads on Bimmerpost for several years. I live in the UK and drive an E81 (3 door hatch) 130i. This has the N52b3.0 engine with 265bhp as stock.

I was looking to see if anyone was running the ESS N52 supercharger kit? In mid 2015 there were one or two threads on Bimmerpost on the kit with install photos and some reviews. It looked like there was some perfecting of the tune but that it was almost there. I wondered if anyone who was running the kit could give their opinions on the drivability of the kit, power increase (dyno runs?), issues, etc etc.

Any info or experiences greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Monaco blue Metallic BMW 135i

A bit irellivant to your question, but when I was looking at 135's and 128's I never even considered the possibility of a supercharger on the 128 to make up for the lack of power when compared to the 135, but now that I've seen this I may look further into that. I always preferred the whine of a supercharger over the BOV from a turbo (Ricers ruined it for me).
      02-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwilli View Post
I'm new to the forum but have read articles and threads on Bimmerpost for several years. I live in the UK and drive an E81 (3 door hatch) 130i. This has the N52b3.0 engine with 265bhp as stock.

I was looking to see if anyone was running the ESS N52 supercharger kit? In mid 2015 there were one or two threads on Bimmerpost on the kit with install photos and some reviews. It looked like there was some perfecting of the tune but that it was almost there. I wondered if anyone who was running the kit could give their opinions on the drivability of the kit, power increase (dyno runs?), issues, etc etc.

Any info or experiences greatly appreciated.
Here ya go

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1104227
      02-19-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I read that post from start to finish. That's a clean as fuck Z4. Props to that dude.
      02-20-2016, 02:03 AM   #5
jonwilli
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E81 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Thanks for that, I read about that install a few months ago. He got some good numbers about 340hp at the crank I think (on a Dynojet). The car and the mods have some insane levels of attention to detail!!

Do you know if this install is running Alpha N or a MAF tune? I think the new ESS tune uses Alpha N. I was also curious how the kit runs without a bypass valve? I do not think the owner of that Z4 knows if the kit has a bypass valve or not. There is no bypass valve mentioned on the ESS website, in any of the older install threads or in the photos of what is included in the kit. I know the VT+1 kit is only 6psi (which is the max boost Vortech recommend without a bypass valve) but I would have thought without one it could affect drivability at part throttle and cause spikes in boost changing gears at red line? The ESS kits for older BMWs which have an easily accessible manifold vacuum always came with a bypass valve even in low boost applications.

Last edited by jonwilli; 02-20-2016 at 02:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwilli View Post
Thanks for that, I read about that install a few months ago. He got some good numbers about 340hp at the crank I think (on a Dynojet). The car and the mods have some insane levels of attention to detail!!

Do you know if this install is running Alpha N or a MAF tune? I think the new ESS tune uses Alpha N. I was also curious how the kit runs without a bypass valve? I do not think the owner of that Z4 knows if the kit has a bypass valve or not. There is no bypass valve mentioned on the ESS website, in any of the older install threads or in the photos of what is included in the kit. I know the VT+1 kit is only 6psi (which is the max boost Vortech recommend without a bypass valve) but I would have thought without one it could affect drivability at part throttle and cause spikes in boost changing gears at red line? The ESS kits for older BMWs which have an easily accessible manifold vacuum always came with a bypass valve even in low boost applications.
No clue but you should just message him directly and find out. I never really considered FI so I don't know that much about these kits.