BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

More OT: Your worst holiday destination / experience...

Following on from the successful Holiday destination thread.......

1991 Harare Airport, Zimbabwe. Checked in for a 1 hour flight to Lake Kariba..about one hour away. Flight suddenly cancelled because President Robert Mugabe has commandeered Air Zimbabwe's only BAe 146....all passengers left to make their own way to Kariba. No sorry, no bus, nothing. Fortunately I rang a mate who lived there. He picked us up and drove us to Kariba.

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Had to have been stuck in Johannesburg Airport for 6 hours after an engine failure on my Qantas flight back home. Instead of being given 'food vouchers' etc, they saw my FF status and gave me nothing (as i could get into the lounge). I kicked up a stink and was given 100 rand. Lol. Used that to buy a carton of West cigarettes, went to the lounge and smoked 2 packs.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #3
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Got married saturday, had about 5 hours sleep saturday night... Lunch with relatives Sunday, plane was leaving 1am Monday morning. Caught plane to Singapore where we had 14 hour stopover, but couldn't sleep on plane as we were too excited, arrived about 9am Monday. Monday night back at Singapore airport to catch flight to Dubai, had time to spare before flight but still nowhere to sleep or shower.

By this time we were falling asleep in the airport waiting for boarding. Boarded plan but told I couldn't take my contact lens solution so had nothing to help my drying eyes... Barely any sleep on flight to Dubai. Searched Dubai airport for somewhere to rest, all we found was an in-airpor hotel where we paid $15 each to have a hot shower (best shower I have ever had).

Now off to Paris, where we arrive in the afternoon Tuesday. Crazy taxi ride to find the place where we need to pick up our keys to our apartment, then another taxi ride to the apartment. Finally... after days without sleep we can relax!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

1. Koh Phangan - Ended up in hospital at NYE party with rusty broken nails in my foot waiting for surgery. A guy comes in with a stab wound and we watch him bleed out to death, crying in pain, it was terrible. A riot breaks out for over 2 hours and we're forced to hide in a garden until everything settles down as people were going crazy.

2. Bangkok - We approached a Tuk Tuk (3 wheeler taxi) driver and negotiated a cab fare back to our hotel. We noticed he had a can of beer in his hand but didn't think much of it. There were 5 of us and my mate and I were going to stand on the back but decided against it and crammed inside. He stalled it straight away then went full throttle into a corner, lost control and rolled it twice! Fortunately, none of us were badly hurt and we lived to tell the story. I don't know how we escaped with just grazes and cuts, but my mates missus put her back out pretty bad The Tuk Tuk driver showed no remorse either.

3. Booked an around the world ticket which was departing from Sydney so I had to make my own arrangements to get there. I booked a cheap flight with Jetstar with about 2 hour wait time in Sydney before I flew out. Jetstar flight was delayed for 6 hours so I missed my initial flight from Sydney. We had to wait in Brisbane the entire time because they wouldn't allow us to take our luggage because the flight was "delayed" and not "officially cancelled". They offered no compensation and gave me the same flight the next day. Meanwhile my mate flies out to Canada and is waiting for me for 24 hours because I have our bus ticket which gets us from Vancouver to Banff. Fortunately, the company I booked my around the world fare with allowed me to fly out from Sydney the next day at no cost. I'm driving to Brisbane airport the following morning in peak hour rush traffic, and running late as well due to the traffic, a lady in a 4WD hits me at the round-a-bout at the airport. Just my luck. It was my dad's Merc which was his pride and joy. I ended up just making it to catch my flight in time but felt terrible for my dad's car.

4. Upon boarding our ferry boat which takes us to Phi Phi Island everyone was handed a plastic bag as they boarded. I had no idea what this was for. Turns out we were cruising through extremely choppy waters and about half hour into the journey everone starts throwing up violently including myself. I walk downstairs into the cabin and everyone is spewing everywhere. People were hurdled around bins, spewing into the bags, it was nuts. About 90% of everyone on board threw up for the entire 3-4 hours, it was very painful. My 2 mates were fine though!

Last edited by BMW86; 09-18-2010 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
People were hurdled around bins, spewing into the bags, it was nuts. About 90% of everyone on board threw up for the entire 3-4 hours, it was very painful. My 2 mates were fine though!
I'm sorry but this is absolutely HILARIOUS ahahhaa, sorry Vin
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Yeah 86, my GF got crook on that trip to Phi Phi.

With GF, flew from Brisbane for a nine week holiday to; Ecuador, Galapagos (more Ecuador), Peru, Bolivia, Columbia, Brazil, Uruguay, & Argentina.
1. On the 1st NIGHT we got mugged in Quito by three guys with knives.
As an epilogue after nine weeks of adventure -
2. Flying home from Buenos Aires to Aus we were upgraded to 1st class on the Qantas 747. This was Jan 26 last year and I'd forgotten the significance. After weeks of trying to speak Spanish & Portugese the Pilot came over the PA and announced in a thick Aussie accent, "Happy Australia day everyone". You little beauty!!
      09-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
1. Koh Phangan - Ended up in hospital at NYE party with rusty broken nails in my foot waiting for surgery. A guy comes in with a stab wound and we watch him bleed out to death, crying in pain, it was terrible. A riot breaks out for over 2 hours and we're forced to hide in a garden until everything settles down as people were going crazy.

2. Bangkok - We approached a Tuk Tuk (3 wheeler taxi) driver and negotiated a cab fare back to our hotel. We noticed he had a can of beer in his hand but didn't think much of it. There were 5 of us and my mate and I were going to stand on the back but decided against it and crammed inside. He stalled it straight away then went full throttle into a corner, lost control and rolled it twice! Fortunately, none of us were badly hurt and we lived to tell the story. I don't know how we escaped with just grazes and cuts, but my mates missus put her back out pretty bad The Tuk Tuk driver showed no remorse either.

3. Booked an around the world ticket which was departing from Sydney so I had to make my own arrangements to get there. I booked a cheap flight with Jetstar with about 2 hour wait time in Sydney before I flew out. Jetstar flight was delayed for 6 hours so I missed my initial flight from Sydney. We had to wait in Brisbane the entire time because they wouldn't allow us to take our luggage because the flight was "delayed" and not "officially cancelled". They offered no compensation and gave me the same flight the next day. Meanwhile my mate flies out to Canada and is waiting for me for 24 hours because I have our bus ticket which gets us from Vancouver to Banff. Fortunately, the company I booked my around the world fare with allowed me to fly out from Sydney the next day at no cost. I'm driving to Brisbane airport the following morning in peak hour rush traffic, and running late as well due to the traffic, a lady in a 4WD hits me at the round-a-bout at the airport. Just my luck. It was my dad's Merc which was his pride and joy. I ended up just making it to catch my flight in time but felt terrible for my dad's car.

4. Upon boarding our ferry boat which takes us to Phi Phi Island everyone was handed a plastic bag as they boarded. I had no idea what this was for. Turns out we were cruising through extremely choppy waters and about half hour into the journey everone starts throwing up violently including myself. I walk downstairs into the cabin and everyone is spewing everywhere. People were hurdled around bins, spewing into the bags, it was nuts. About 90% of everyone on board threw up for the entire 3-4 hours, it was very painful. My 2 mates were fine though!
oh man...i just never...wat
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 02:53 AM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

6 days at Koh Samui for our honeymoon. The agent forgot to organise the transfer to our hotel which is an hour away. The worst thing is that they actually have a car there, and have room for us, but because we didn't book, we can't get on. So, we'll have to wait for that car to get to the hotel, and come back to get us. The driver really wanted to help but his hands are tied looks like. End up getting tout, and someone offered us a taxi, by the time we get to his "taxi", it is just a car which is falling apart... we really wasn't sure we will get there especially he decided to take us through all the back roads instead.

Reception staff were generally rude and arrogant. The cleaners, wait staff and spa staff however were fantstic, and they speak better English than the reception staff.

I started to get sick on the first day after a hetic schedule, married at Hamilton Island, reception in Hong Kong, and had a massively swollen gland for the whole time. My wife was sick too where she can't smell a thing.

The fact that we went to Hamilton Island for our wedding and White Haven for our photoshoot, also makes Koh Samui a bit lame. Food was great in town, but it's a 2 hrs round trip and we only ended up going there once. We loved our food on our first night, but realised that doesn't matter which restaurant you go to in the hotel, it still tastes exactly the same.

Ended up laying in bed (with no action cause we are too sick!) for 6 days watching cable.

Glad we made up for it in NZ the year after for our 1st anniversary.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
had a massively swollen gland for the whole time.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

[quote=sparoz;8028222]had a massively swollen gland for the whole time. quote]

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
SR32
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY11 135i CW 6Spd Man

Wow - some horror stories!

I've had a couple of bad experiences!

1. I'm overseas at the moment in Europe. We flew in 4 weeks ago flying Cathay Business. All good, except that the new seating "capsules" get ZERO air circulation. He ended up overheating and felt a little run down and feverish. The next morning we were flying out to Rome for our first major city, plane taxiing out to the runway and he completely passed out on me for 20-30 seconds on the plane. Scared the crap out of me. Finally get to Rome, my other half feeling better but still unwell (after waiting 1.5hours - no shit! for our luggage) hop in what we were told would be a minibus (turns out to be a Vauxhall Corsa), get to the hotel, get to our room and realise the DSLR and point and shoot were left in the car. DOH! Of all freakin cities!

2. We were off to Vietnam late last year over the xmas break, spur of the moment purchase of Jetstar tix that happened to be on special (never flying it again!) Excited to be going, get to the airport, MASSIVE line to check in, 2 hours later get to the front only to be told that we needed a VISA to get into Vietnam. I was busy as all shit at the time and overlooked it. This happened to be a Saturday so had to wait til Monday to arrange anything. Pain in the arse but we eventually made it there a couple of days later....

3. Four or so years ago, we were in Bali (in Ubud - an hour from the coast/capital city/hospital for those that don't know) and we were staying at a hotel/ resort about 10mins drive down a busy/ narrow driveway. I don't have a motorbike licence in Australia but am fairly coordinated so we hired some bikes for 4 days. Had the time of my life on that bike riding all over the island. The final night with the bikes we were heading home from dinner and my front tyre lost traction over sand that I hadn't seen on the road. I was going about 70ks per hour maybe. Wearing shorts, tshirt and thankfully a helmet. The tshirt was ripped to shreds, I slid passed my other half who was on the bike in front of me - thank f*ck nobody was going the other way at the time. I landed on my back in one of those deep asian gutters. I quickly hopped up, all pumped with adrenaline and checked for broken bones etc. My tshirt was literally hanging by the collar piece. I was only 50m from the resort driveway. Hopped back on and rode up the resort driveway checking for broken bones and found a broken collarbone. The resort drove me the hour into town in their 4x4 and I felt EVERY freakin bump (asian backroads are nothing but bumps!) The only medicine they had was Xanax! Freakin xanax! Lesson learnt though - never f*ck around when you are so far from home!

Now that I think about it, I have so freakin many! We've even been held up in Las Vegas - scared the f*ck outta me. Horrible city.....

Long post - sorry guys!
      09-22-2010, 12:21 AM   #12
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Bloody hell, SR32! Makes my problems of getting planes commandeered by despot African presidents sound like a walk in the park!

I do remember back in 2000, having to sit in a hot plane lined up on the taxi way at SFO for about 1.5 hours - no water, nothing. God bless American Airlines and their in-flight service! The in-flight meal was an apple and a stale muffin in a paper bag.

Garuda Indonesia....two years ago. Gave the boy (then 3) a drink of what I thought was fresh milk. Ten minutes later he spewed his guts out and didn't stop till Perth. The milk was off. Glad I wasn't in that row on the return flight!

QANTAS (Quick And Nasty, Takes All Suckers..)...after 9 months of travelling through Europe I was happy to get back on the Flying Kangaroo for the long trip back. The indifferent service and the butch hosties rapidly jolted me back to reality!!

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 12:30 AM   #13
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Mine can be summed up in two words: TIGER AIRWAYS.

Never, ever again.
      09-22-2010, 04:04 AM   #14
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post

QANTAS (Quick And Nasty, Takes All Suckers..)
I heard a new one ..
Quaint And Nasty Typical Australian Service

Seems Qantas are getting a reputation, that came from a Singaporean that does a heap of flying.
I haven't had a lot of negative experiences. Got sick in Thailand ... it happens, cancelled flights ... when flying for work so I don't care, though the sheer rudeness of the 'Customer Service' person in SFO stands out. Apparently AA have a different definition of what service means...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 05:13 AM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

[QUOTE=beemer;8032265]
Quote:
had a massively swollen gland for the whole time. quote]

yeah, wrong gland.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 05:25 AM   #16
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR32 View Post
Wow - some horror stories!

I've had a couple of bad experiences!

1. I'm overseas at the moment in Europe. We flew in 4 weeks ago flying Cathay Business. All good, except that the new seating "capsules" get ZERO air circulation. He ended up overheating and felt a little run down and feverish. The next morning we were flying out to Rome for our first major city, plane taxiing out to the runway and he completely passed out on me for 20-30 seconds on the plane. Scared the crap out of me. Finally get to Rome, my other half feeling better but still unwell (after waiting 1.5hours - no shit! for our luggage) hop in what we were told would be a minibus (turns out to be a Vauxhall Corsa), get to the hotel, get to our room and realise the DSLR and point and shoot were left in the car. DOH! Of all freakin cities!

2. We were off to Vietnam late last year over the xmas break, spur of the moment purchase of Jetstar tix that happened to be on special (never flying it again!) Excited to be going, get to the airport, MASSIVE line to check in, 2 hours later get to the front only to be told that we needed a VISA to get into Vietnam. I was busy as all shit at the time and overlooked it. This happened to be a Saturday so had to wait til Monday to arrange anything. Pain in the arse but we eventually made it there a couple of days later....

3. Four or so years ago, we were in Bali (in Ubud - an hour from the coast/capital city/hospital for those that don't know) and we were staying at a hotel/ resort about 10mins drive down a busy/ narrow driveway. I don't have a motorbike licence in Australia but am fairly coordinated so we hired some bikes for 4 days. Had the time of my life on that bike riding all over the island. The final night with the bikes we were heading home from dinner and my front tyre lost traction over sand that I hadn't seen on the road. I was going about 70ks per hour maybe. Wearing shorts, tshirt and thankfully a helmet. The tshirt was ripped to shreds, I slid passed my other half who was on the bike in front of me - thank f*ck nobody was going the other way at the time. I landed on my back in one of those deep asian gutters. I quickly hopped up, all pumped with adrenaline and checked for broken bones etc. My tshirt was literally hanging by the collar piece. I was only 50m from the resort driveway. Hopped back on and rode up the resort driveway checking for broken bones and found a broken collarbone. The resort drove me the hour into town in their 4x4 and I felt EVERY freakin bump (asian backroads are nothing but bumps!) The only medicine they had was Xanax! Freakin xanax! Lesson learnt though - never f*ck around when you are so far from home!

Now that I think about it, I have so freakin many! We've even been held up in Las Vegas - scared the f*ck outta me. Horrible city.....

Long post - sorry guys!
broke my leg in NZ on a 4x4 bike four days into the trip. Still a great trip regardless though - it's a different world travelling on crutches. I would be one of the very few who can claim I have't been that I have lost the stopper on my crutches in fox glacier. Someone's going to find it 50000yrs later in the lake.

re: jetstar - unfortunately, you can't avoid it these days. For some reason, all my recent trips almost always have to include jetstar flight even when I am trying to avoid it. Especially, booking a QF flight, with a QF number that includes one of those jetstar flights.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #17
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
broke my leg in NZ on a 4x4 bike four days into the trip. Still a great trip regardless though - it's a different world travelling on
Ahh NZ....what a beautiful place...EXCEPT Mt Cook, where I was busting to get to the dunny but the only one had frozen solid and people before me had left their now frozen deposits. Gross....

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Ahh NZ....what a beautiful place...EXCEPT Mt Cook, where I was busting to get to the dunny but the only one had frozen solid and people before me had left their now frozen deposits. Gross....
Lol that's disgusting. When I visited Beijing we stayed at a hostel which was quite clean compared to other hostels we've stayed at. When I went to the toilet we were not allowed to flush our paper down the toilet and right beside it there was a bin full of tissue paper covered in human faeces which was overflowing. It really needed to be emptied out asap!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #19
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Reminds me of a taxi ride from Harbin to Qiqihar (on the boarder basically of Inner Mongolia and China) during the middle of winter (-20 degrees).

Stopped to have a toilet break, had to walk over a mound of frozen crap that had been shoveled out from the toilet block.....

Got to the hotel finally and the hard drive on my laptop (which had been in the taxi's boot) had frozen solid so it would not work
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #20
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Lol that's disgusting. When I visited Beijing we stayed at a hostel which was quite clean compared to other hostels we've stayed at. When I went to the toilet we were not allowed to flush our paper down the toilet and right beside it there was a bin full of tissue paper covered in human faeces which was overflowing. It really needed to be emptied out asap!
I remember having to use a bin to the side of the dunny on Corfu, Greece during a Contiki tour. Apparently the sewage pipes were small bore and regularly blocked if paper was flushed.

Toilets in SEA are the source of nightmares for the wife and daughters!

Appreciate 0