BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-01-2015, 04:56 PM   #23
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the fuel injector issues seem pretty common IMO...

but i really think you need to find a different dealer perhaps....it doesn't sound like they know how to deal with the 1M :/
Yes, I think you're right I need a new dealer. But who is to say that another dealer in town will do any better? I will tell you right now that my indy mechanic knows more about N54's than anyone at my dealer or any other dealer in Houston or TX for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #24
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
Yes, I think you're right I need a new dealer. But who is to say that another dealer in town will do any better? I will tell you right now that my indy mechanic knows more about N54's than anyone at my dealer or any other dealer in Houston or TX for that matter.
to be fair, i've had a really great experience with my dealership here in NY. They've been very helpful and pretty damn good at helping me figure out what's going on with the car whenever i've had issues.

i think a different dealer is worth it if you are still trying to figure out stuff before your warranty runs out.

After your warranty runs out, sounds like you have a good Independent mechanic already lined up!!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #25
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Quote:
to be fair, i've had a really great experience with my dealership here in NY. They've been very helpful and pretty damn good at helping me figure out what's going on with the car whenever i've had issues.

i think a different dealer is worth it if you are still trying to figure out stuff before your warranty runs out.

After your warranty runs out, sounds like you have a good Independent mechanic already lined up!!
I will definitely be trying another dealer next time my car needs service under warranty, that is set in stone.

Is there an aftermarket warranty that would allow me to use my independent?
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #26
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
I will definitely be trying another dealer next time my car needs service under warranty, that is set in stone.

Is there an aftermarket warranty that would allow me to use my independent?
I don't believe there are any aftermarket EW that make you go to the dealership for repair work as their prices are always higher. Most companies must approve the repair first and will only cover up to a certain labor rate range based on your location.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #27
blotto649
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '04 996 GT3/'88 911 Carrera

Interesting insights here with many 1M's hitting the 4-year mark and running out of warranty. I've got what will likely be my last free scheduled service appt. happening next week - only suspected issue I'm having right now is some noise from either worn wheel bearing(s) or CV joints.

Can anyone provide further detail on exactly what's happening with the injectors? Is it simply clogging? Maybe pressure issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 11:35 PM   #28
cmcgonag
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Cayenne Turbo - 2011 1M

Craina, I am in houston as well...taking my car in next week for a bad rear defroster (static on the radio)...I have been taking it to momentum west off of I10....I hate the dealerships, but got to deal with them. Eurocar Werk is my garage of choice....which dealership have you been going to?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 11:37 PM   #29
cmcgonag
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Cayenne Turbo - 2011 1M

Pete, how much did you pay for your extended warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #30
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blotto649 View Post

Can anyone provide further detail on exactly what's happening with the injectors? Is it simply clogging? Maybe pressure issues?
i had a leaky fuel injector....so they replaced the injectors, spark plugs, and also changed my HPFP at the same time. I had some power loss and i also had a funky rotten egg smell on full throttle as symptoms....as well as a puff of white smoke upon start up.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:11 PM   #31
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by blotto649 View Post
BMW has done a recall on some but not all N54 injectors. They'll sometimes make a tapping noise before they go bad. It appears to be a mechanical problem unrelated to clogging. Clogging is still and issue, but one separate from what I experienced.

You can't mix the newest injectors with the original ones, so all six needed to be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcgonag View Post
Pete, how much did you pay for your extended warranty?
A bit over 4k to get to 100k miles, pretty sure I took the 7 year option.
      04-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #32
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

35k miles new injectors, HPFP, valve cover, and clutch replaced. All warrant work at BMW of Dallas. New Cayman GTS on the way now.

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #33
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime
35k miles new injectors, HPFP, valve cover, and clutch replaced. All warrant work at BMW of Dallas. New Cayman GTS on the way now.
GTS Not GT4...

HmmMm interesting !!! Is this a short stop before M2 ?
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #34
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
1. The 2nd gear synchro wore out very rapidly and unexpectedly about a month ago. Over the course of a week it went from shifting fine to unusable: a shift from near redline in 1st required about 2 seconds before engaging 2nd or the gear would grind.
Solution: replace transmission, 4.2k parts and labor.
Quote:
I do redline first to second shifts fairly regularly, but I'd have expected the synchros to be more robust. I've driven other cars similarly way up through 120k+ miles, and this is the first modern transmission I've seen this sort of issue with. My E46 M3 was fine for example- not sure if I just got a bad part or not, but I see some E9x M3 guys mentioning similar issues...
As forum fellow eeghie previously reported: during the 1M development, the transmission was rated by the supplier up to 450Nm. The engineering team then had to agree with the supplier on tests that BMW M themselves would do to qualify up to 500Nm.

It seems likely that the transmission's (mechanical) limitations contributed to the reason why the peak torque is limited in duration, i.e. overboost period only, and stock power output closer to 350-360 hp than to 390-400 hp (though, according to some rumors the 1M engine is detuned from 390-400hp: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894101).

Though the transmission is strong, the brute force during 'spirited' drives inevitably strains it with no mercy. Quite some demo cars had transmissions already slipping with less than 10K kms clocked.

For the record: as on the BMW Z4 sDrive35is, the 1M's maximum torque of 450Nm/295 ft lbs is briefly raised (for five seconds max.) to 500Nm/369 ft lbs by the overboost function. The precondition for the overboost function is a demand for acceleration of more than 80%. The increased torque is available from as low as 1,500 rpm right through to 4,500 rpm. Although in the first two gears the loss of traction limits the amount of power and torque that can be transmitted, more than 450Nm/295 ft lbs can be delivered from third gear on, and 500Nm/369 ft lbs from fourth gear on. When the DSC is active and maximum acceleration is called for, forward thrust is limited in first, second and third gears in favor of handling stability. Configuration is based on the optimum traction.

My engine is 100% stock, so in in principle 450+50 Nm torque and 250 kW output (340 hp [metric]). Nevertheless my head-up screen (collecting CANBUS info) already reported 551 Nm torque and 261 kW (362 hp [metric]) output values.
      04-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #35
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
As forum fellow eeghie previously reported: during the 1M development, the transmission was rated by the supplier up to 450Nm. The engineering team then had to agree with the supplier on tests that BMW M themselves would do to qualify up to 500Nm.

It seems likely that the transmission's (mechanical) limitations contributed to the reason why the peak torque is limited in duration, i.e. overboost period only, and stock power output closer to 350-360 hp than to 390-400 hp (though, according to some rumors the 1M engine is detuned from 390-400hp
I don't believe my transmission issue was caused by the torque. Synchros match gear speed before the gears are engaged- they are completely independent of the load path and thus shouldn't be effected.

Instead I believe these parts were not re-engineered for the more "spirited" use more sporting cars can be expected to receive. Porsche changed to more expensive and durable steel synchros in their Cup and RS models because they are used more aggressively. Given the short development cycle and limited budget BMW didn't do the same with the 1M, and I suspect this is the result.

My bent driveshaft, on the other hand, probably was at least partly a result of all that torque. I drive with TC off. I'm sure wheel-hop in particular puts huge loads on the driveshaft in that situation. If everything's not perfectly straight all that torque's going to find a way...
      04-21-2015, 09:48 PM   #36
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnime
GTS Not GT4...

HmmMm interesting !!! Is this a short stop before M2 ?
No it's a GTS. Getting a gt4 is like trying to get a 1m when they first came out. No m2 for me mark. Love my car but ready for a change and a non turbo at that.

Prev - AW 1M #43 USA
Meisterschaft, N55 mids, AFE CAI, ER Charge, Wagner IC
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 02:36 AM   #37
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

keep driving it hard brother!
that's how you do it! hahaha

goodluck with all the issues!
      05-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #38
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update: The injector change cleared the misfire issue for about a week, then it returned.

The car went back in- all new plugs. They also removed the intake and used walnut media blasting to clean the head.

The good news is the misfire hasn't returned. The car also pulls a fraction harder above 5k now, I suspect because the head's back to flowing 100%. Also this is a known issue with known fixes, and I don't expect it to return for another 70k miles.

The bad news is that it would have been another $2.9k bill without the warranty. I would also have thought I'd be very unlikely candidate to have the carbon buildup issue- I take few short trips and tend to use much more full throttle than average, both of which are supposed to help. Thus I think it's fairly likely something similar will be an issue for many of you eventually.

So far the warranty has covered 11.1k worth of work in 21k miles. Total mileage just a tick over 71k now...
      05-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #39
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

That is sobering, yet good to know, thx for sharing.

Quote:
... I would also have thought I'd be very unlikely candidate to have the carbon buildup issue- I take few short trips and tend to use much more full throttle than average, both of which are supposed to help. ...
Just to complete the 'carbon build up at risk' profile: do you have an Oil Catch can?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #40
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Update: The injector change cleared the misfire issue for about a week, then it returned.

The car went back in- all new plugs. They also removed the intake and used walnut media blasting to clean the head.

The good news is the misfire hasn't returned. The car also pulls a fraction harder above 5k now, I suspect because the head's back to flowing 100%. Also this is a known issue with known fixes, and I don't expect it to return for another 70k miles.

The bad news is that it would have been another $2.9k bill without the warranty. I would also have thought I'd be very unlikely candidate to have the carbon buildup issue- I take few short trips and tend to use much more full throttle than average, both of which are supposed to help. Thus I think it's fairly likely something similar will be an issue for many of you eventually.

So far the warranty has covered 11.1k worth of work in 21k miles. Total mileage just a tick over 71k now...
FWIW the walnut blasting cleaning is not supposed to be covered under warranty.....so you got lucky!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #41
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
TJust to complete the 'carbon build up at risk' profile: do you have an Oil Catch can?
I do not. I've kept the car stock (and not tracked it) in part for this reason.
Quote:
FWIW the walnut blasting cleaning is not supposed to be covered under warranty.....so you got lucky!
Good to know. I think if they thought it likely they could have cured the misfire without it they likely would have, so perhaps it's a gray area depending on the symptoms it's causing.
      05-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #42
1M Tex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M Coupe, AW,

Walnut blast

Before and after pics at 64,000 miles. Daily driver with extensive track time. Oil changed every 5000 miles. Oil catch can.
Attached Images

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #43
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M Tex View Post
Before and after pics at 64,000 miles. Daily driver with extensive track time. Oil changed every 5000 miles. Oil catch can.
Did you notice a qualitative improvement before/after, or was your displaying any particular symptoms?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #44
1M Tex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M Coupe, AW,

No symptoms were displayed, just thought it would be a good idea. I have not noticed any performance increase.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011
Appreciate 0