BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #1
mexicobmw
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: car

installed recaro pole position question

Hello I just got around installing a set of recaro pole positions custom upholstered from tuningwerk in germany. Peter reith was great to deal with and the seats just arrived here in mexico.

I sent my car to the dealer for the install and have a couple of questions as the dealer had no clue about them and just sent me some pictures.

1.-the seat belts should not go through the shoulder hole correct?

2.-should I buy some seat belt extenders for the lower connectors .

3.-Is there a way of coding the airbag light off. Peter at tuningwerk told me that with coding you could select a recaro feature that will get the light off. but want to know if the passenger airbag will still work. our cars here in mexico are euro spec.

4.-One of the seats got a scuff what product would you recommend to try and fix it/ paint it in order for it to be less visible.

here are some pictures that the dealer sent me.

thanks

diego garcia

Ps I will post some pictures of the car once I have collected it from the dealer.
Attached Images

Last edited by mexicobmw; 03-20-2016 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

The seatbelts should definitely not go through the holes. Run them over the top.

Sorry, not sure what you mean with seat extenders, or what the solution is for the airbag lights.

Has that scuff torn the leather?

Looks great btw! Think this would be the option I'd go for if I ever swapped the seats out permanently. Love Recaro Pole Positions, I have a Recaro SP-A sitting in my warehouse that I swap into my streetcars if I'm doing any track work.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
mexicobmw
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep

Thanks for the reply. will have the dealer run the seat belts through the top. (was almost sure about this but wanted to confirm, thanks!) . I haven't seen the damage seat in person but by the picture sent it looks as if the leather was not torn only scuffed therefore I think I can die it with some sort of grey/black leather ink in order for it to hide a little more.

the seat belt extenders I assume will help the belt buckle have more clearance if the seats need to be slided.

thanks

diego
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 03:05 AM   #4
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicobmw View Post
... 3.-Is there a way of coding the airbag light off. Peter at tuningwerk told me that with coding you could select a recaro feature that will get the light off. but want to know if the passenger airbag will still work. our cars here in mexico are euro spec. ...
Recaro aftermarket seats are without occupancy sensor. By coding you can remove the airbag module's need for the sensing the (driver and) passenger seat occupation. In case of a crash, both airbags will deploy (even with an empty passenger seat). Thus the most important limitation is that you should no longer mount any rear directed child seat in the passenger seat, as it posses a lethal thread to the child occupant.

BMW dealer can perform coding for the BMW performance/Recaro Sportster seats (= Adding +RECA to the VO list, not sure if Pole Position seats are 100% identical regarding OC_3 sensors)

Ask the company that does the coding to certify their modification.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
mexicobmw
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep

Eeghie thank you for the advise and response that was the answer I needed as I was worried I would no longer have passenger airbag. I will find a reputable coding shop down here to get them to do the work.

Regards
Diego
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
The seatbelts should definitely not go through the holes. Run them over the top.

Sorry, not sure what you mean with seat extenders, or what the solution is for the airbag lights.

Has that scuff torn the leather?

Looks great btw! Think this would be the option I'd go for if I ever swapped the seats out permanently. Love Recaro Pole Positions, I have a Recaro SP-A sitting in my warehouse that I swap into my streetcars if I'm doing any track work.
This is an incorrect answer!

Do not run then over the seat. The seatbelt will not be tightly against you and then your safety is compromised.

OP - I have Recaro SPGs and I run a seatbelt extender thru the opening and allows my to secure the seatbelt through the holes. Just like you would if you were to run a harness.

Look up AlpineMSS for remote coding. He coded off my airbags for me.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
mexicobmw
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep

Thanks for the advise! I will contact alex for the coding !
Regards
Diego Garcia

Last edited by mexicobmw; 03-21-2016 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #8
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

mexicobmw, the seats look great! Please post some pictures once the installation is complete. By the way, what exactly was custom upholstered on the seats? Are they not offered in leather/alcantara directly from Recaro? Or was the orange stitching the only custom part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
This is an incorrect answer!

Do not run then over the seat. The seatbelt will not be tightly against you and then your safety is compromised.

OP - I have Recaro SPGs and I run a seatbelt extender thru the opening and allows my to secure the seatbelt through the holes. Just like you would if you were to run a harness.

Look up AlpineMSS for remote coding. He coded off my airbags for me.
I don't think it was clear if phunky_monkey was referring to the shoulder section or lap section of the seat belt. Assuming he is talking about just the shoulder section, it sounds like both of you are right. The shoulder (top) section of the belt should NOT go through the top seat hole, but the lap (bottom) section SHOULD go through the lower seat hole. I assume the seat belt extender just makes it easier to clip in and out without having to get it in/out of the seat hole.
      03-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #9
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post

I don't think it was clear if phunky_monkey was referring to the shoulder section or lap section of the seat belt. Assuming he is talking about just the shoulder section, it sounds like both of you are right. The shoulder (top) section of the belt should NOT go through the top seat hole, but the lap (bottom) section SHOULD go through the lower seat hole. I assume the seat belt extender just makes it easier to clip in and out without having to get it in/out of the seat hole.
Yep, sorry should have been more specific with my answer. Apologies for the confusion and thanks for clearing it up!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 10:14 PM   #10
mexicobmw
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep

I think the recaros don't come with real leather and alcantara. But don't quote me on this, The custom upholstery involved color matching alcantara inserts, orange stitching and real leather not vinyl.
As soon as I pick it up I will post some pictures

again thank you for the help
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #11
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Macht schnell has a seat belt airbag emulator.

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 11:35 PM   #12
mexicobmw
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep

i looked into the macht schnell emulator but didn't want to go this route because I understand this will cause the passenger airbag to not deploy, that's why I will go with coding
Regards
Diego
Appreciate 0