BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-02-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Bluetooth audio options

Hi all,

I'm considering purchase of a 135i and trying to decide whether iDrive is necessary for me. I've read a whole bunch of the iDrive threads but have a few questions re the basic bluetooth setup.

On the base setup, bluetooth comes as standard. Do all cars include an iphone charging cable (for iphone 4 and/or 5) so you can charge your phone while the bluetooth (battery killer) is enabled?

Have any of you tried running Spotify/iTunes and confirmed the steering wheel buttons to change tracks etc work?
Can you run Google Maps through the speakers at the same time?
I assume you can accept an incoming call via the steering wheel button if bluetooth is enabled (but you won't be able to make a call without touching the phone)?

I'm considering using a phone mount near the centre console and streaming music via Spotify and navigation via Google maps rather than going for an iDrive equipped car. Obviously I won't be able to touch the phone while driving so I'd really like to know if Spotify works via the steering wheel buttons.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 02:00 AM   #2
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

There is a USB port you can use to charge your iphone.
I use android but I can change tracks from the steering wheel when using bluetooth streaming.
I dont think you can run google maps through the speakers but not sure what you mean by this.
You can make a call using the steering wheel via voice commands, although not sure if voice command is available without iDrive.
      03-02-2014, 02:04 AM   #3
johngrossi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i e82

I think if you get a my12+ with I drive bluetooth streaming is available.

I am non Idrive and currently use a regular lightning cable to play music via spotify and sometimes I can use steering wheel controls and sometimes I cannot. When I can use them it will also display the track name on the radio. I have yet to try with the y cable though.

You are able to make calls without touching your phone but it can be quite tedious without the I drive
      03-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
imske3000
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I run the AUX cable to my iphone and Google Maps gives directions over Spotify.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...light=tune2air

Get a Tune2air WMA1000 - works really well. It plugs into a BMW y-cable. Then your phone bluetooths to it. The steering wheel track buttons work, along with the track info on the stereo. The sound quality is great!

Don't be tempted by the the cheap ones, they are shit!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Thanks for the tips everyone.

Moocow - So if the Tune2air is plugged into the y-cable then can an iphone still be plugged in somewhere to charge at the same time it streams bluetooth?

One more thing I'm probably overlooking is why the Tune2air bluetooth device is necessary if these cars come with bluetooth as standard anyway?

It sounds like Spotify control, telephone and Google Maps should all work via the speakers and steering wheel controls for a non iDrive car then...FYI I'm considering a 2008-2010 N54 car so only a very small number of them have the CIC iDrive. This is the reason I'm considering a non-iDrive car.

I'm so out of the loop with all the new car tech. I just learnt that my current Navman has bluetooth so if I pair my iphone to it and plug the iphone into my car I should be able to stream the Navman through the car speakers? I've always hated the horrible quality of the tiny inbuilt GPS speakers.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
Moocow
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJustin View Post

Moocow - So if the Tune2air is plugged into the y-cable then can an iphone still be plugged in somewhere to charge at the same time it streams bluetooth?

I use a cigarette charger to charge my phone

One more thing I'm probably overlooking is why the Tune2air bluetooth device is necessary if these cars come with bluetooth as standard anyway?

Standard Bluetooth doesn't do music - just for voice calls. The Tune2Air just provides wireless connectivity to the iPod functionality

It sounds like Spotify control, telephone and Google Maps should all work via the speakers and steering wheel controls for a non iDrive car then...FYI I'm considering a 2008-2010 N54 car so only a very small number of them have the CIC iDrive. This is the reason I'm considering a non-iDrive car.

The Tune2Air will provide very good quality Bluetooth streaming music that will work with the iPod functionality of the standard car stereo

I'm so out of the loop with all the new car tech. I just learnt that my current Navman has bluetooth so if I pair my iphone to it and plug the iphone into my car I should be able to stream the Navman through the car speakers? I've always hated the horrible quality of the tiny inbuilt GPS speakers.
My iPhone connects via bluetooth to Tune2Air module and the Cars stock bluetooth. When calls come in, the stereo is muted automatically, whether your listening to radio or iPod function (via Tune2Air). You can get the same functionality of just plugging in your phone into the y-cable. Being bluetooth though, you can connect non-apple based phones to iPod control.

There are limitations on the y-cable;
being 30-pin, you will need an adapter to connect to lightning based iphones. I tried using an extension like cable to increase the length so I could mount the iphone on my dash - then it wouldn't charge properly, music still worked normally though. I dont think that the y-cable pumps out enough to charge properly when you increase the cable length.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
ExREX
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i & x3 30d

Quote:

I have a non-idrive car. Standard Bluetooth only supports the phone, I use tune2air to stream music wirelessly instead of via the y-cable directly. Works in exactly the same way as my wife's car that has idrive with streaming etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #9
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Really great clarification thanks guys.

How do you find controlling your music through the headunit and steering wheel controls? I assume without the iDrive screen it would be near impossible to search for artists or playlists on Spotify. You would be limited by the playlist or album you loaded on your phone prior to driving off. I think I need to meet a Brisbane member with Tune2air just to have a play with the functionality :P
      03-06-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
ExREX
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i & x3 30d

Quote:
Really great clarification thanks guys.

How do you find controlling your music through the headunit and steering wheel controls? I assume without the iDrive screen it would be near impossible to search for artists or playlists on Spotify. You would be limited by the playlist or album you loaded on your phone prior to driving off. I think I need to meet a Brisbane member with Tune2air just to have a play with the functionality :P
Yes the usability is hampered by no idrive, but that has nothing I do with the effectiveness of tune2air. I just make the relevant selection on the phone handset.
Appreciate 0