BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

03-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Ugh! Another coupe and convertible thread

Hello,

Last night I went to the dealer to check out some of the more subtle things pertaining to the 1-series. It was a horrible, rainy night, so I didnt get out on the road, but I did a lot of looking and testing of the cars.

They had a 128 coupe and convertible right on the floor - neither was MT though. My initial thoughts are as follows:

-I like the trunk lid on the coupe better than the convertible (there is a little "flip up" on the coupe)
-The rear window on the convertible scares me a bit. It is just really small - the rearview mirror seems to look at as much convertible top as it does out the rear window. Fortunately, I had my wife stand all around the car, and I could not create a blind spot with the mirrors adjusted how I like them.
-Im not the biggest fan of the look of the convertible top in the rear-quarter, compared to the coupe. I prefer the big rear window and small rear pillar on the coupe compared to the large expanse of cloth on the convertible. I am having a tough time quantifying the look though...
-I did not fit in the coupe - my head hit the side of the sunroof, just like in my E30. However, there was a LOT more legroom than my E30 - which is really nice. With no clutch, I can extend my legs all the way to locked position, with the seat nearly all the way back. No such luck on the E30... However, how much leg extension space do I loose with a third pedal in there?
-The convertible provides about 0.6" of extra headroom, which is perfect for providing an optimal fit.
-The slide-out knee bolsters did nothing for me comfort-wise. There was no additional support, it just made the seat longer, which didnt do anything. Has anyone really documented the benefits of these???

So it is a matter of liking the look of the coupe slightly better, versus a better fit and the "top down" look of the convertible (which I love). The reality is though that 50+% of the time, the top will be up on the vert, and I need to really like the look all the time. Plus, Ill have to count on a failure of the top, and top replacement at least at some point, even if it is 8 or 10 years out.

The vert I looked at was cashmere metallic, and another was red. I think the red color made the vert look "fat" or bulky. Id be going for white, and there was a white coupe inside, which reaffirmed my thoughts.

So its a REALLY tough call now. My wife likes the look of the vert better, and feels like the coupe looks like the tail is "cut" off a bit. Im just torn.

How many others were really torn? Anyone else share my issues with the look fo the top (e.g. the large expanse of cloth in the rear quarters of the top)?

What helped your decision? Im going to have to do a lot more looking...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Jumpman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: .

I think you'll learn to like the look of the vert with the top up well enough and you'll always love it top down. And you'll never, on a nice sunny day, kick your self repeatedly for not buying the 'vert. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

The vert trunk lid is bad, agreed. But spend the $350 from Dan and get a CF lip spolier, makes the trunkline look a million times better. And the best vert color is either LMB or Space Grey. And SGM if you find it used of course. It looks great in those colors. And the top has a much better line than most verts.

My top has been up and down multiple times a day since I picked it up in August. My cover now squeeks, hoping its just a matter of lubrication. Im going into service tommarrow. Will comment on it then.
      03-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Arizona_Steve
Driving 'Mr Car Car'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW BMW M2

It's simply personal preference. I've never been one who liked having his "do" ruined by the wind, so despite living in Arizona where it's prime convertible weather six months of the year, I went for the coupe.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, is desperate to switch her Honda Accord for a 328i convertible.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
enigma135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 SG/Coral 135i Convertible

I was debating the same issue for a while as well. And had many of the same thoughts/concerns as you on the appearance of the vert with the top up.

Finally decided on Space Gray/Coral Red/Moonlight Top I think the combination is pretty damn sexy.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Do you know what seats were in the coupe? (manual/standard, manual/sport, power/standard, power/sport) I'm also assuming you had the seat set in its lowest position? I don't know if this issue has been put to rest yet, but there was a theory that the power seats did not adjust as low as the manual seats.

I recall someone saying at their height of 5'9", his head still touched the roof with the power seats at their lowest setting. I found this rather baffling, as I am 5'11" and have plenty of head room with my manual sport seats at the lowest setting.
      03-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
Vert vert vert all the way vert.

I agree, the coupe makes the trunk look "stubby". The vert stretches it out.

Also, yes, headroom, I felt tight in the coupe and kept hitting my head. With the top up on the vert, still haven't hit my head.

Nothing like 120mph breeze in the vert. You don't just feel the speed beneath you, you have it 360 degrees of speed.

As for color, I never thought about white till I saw my car sitting on the showroom floor, and my wife totally fell in love with it, and then I did. However, you are in NJ, a LOT more work to keep clean, so the silver or grey colors become a bit more practical.

But of course, as said above, it is all personal preference.
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

With the top up the vert does not look as good as the coupe. But, with the top down it's not even close.

You do definitely have to think about the wear and tear and looks of the top if you plan to keep it 8 to 10 years though.

For me it wasn't a hard decision as I have never had a vert before and definitely wanted to try it out so I just leased it for 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Since you are located in the colder climes and assuming this vehicle is to be used as a daily driver I say coupe.

I owned a 330Cic for 2.5 years. Loved it beyond words when the top was down, but during those wicked 4.5 months where the top had to remain up the cowl shake, rattles that seemingly came out of nowhere, and blind spots ultimately compelled me to sell it.

Verts no longer make sense to me on a daily basis unless you can use them in the roll God intended them, and that's in a virtual constant top down mode somewhere in the sun belt. Otherwise the extra cost and trade-offs just aren't worth it.

If this is a 3rd or 4th car, then the vert would be the call easily.

As far as fitting in the coupe shaving your head for that Mr. Clean look should help a bit.

Ultimately I think those of us who are married grudgingly know what the right choice is; whatever the wife wants.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Ditto on the seats question. I'm 6'-4" and have plenty of headroom in my coupe. I have the sport package with manual seats. I have it adjusted down and back, steering wheel telescoped out. My buddie's 6'-5" and he has no problems either, in fact he seems to want to drive my car whenever he's around.

Unless you're a real vert fan and know what to expect living in NJ, or if you have another car for winter, I would stick with the coupe. I also like listening to music when I drive so I have the premium sound system and tend keep the car buttoned up for better accoustics. I would have dropped the sunroof option if I could have.
      03-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Thanks everyone!

I do have multiple other cars, and alas, I have silver cars already. My wife used to have a white car, and while silver is great for hiding dirt, white hides low level dirt, salt, fine scratches, etc. quite well. Plus, the wife and I both really liked the AW with red interior and taupe top combo. I detail my cars quite often, and am not afraid of having a little dirt showing, so AW shouldnt be a big deal to us...

As for the other points, the coupe did have a power seat. This may be part of the issue. I lowered it all the way, and tried various places with it forward or back. To fit without touching, I had to recline the seat a fair amount, which is not good posture or comfortable to me... But Im used to touching the roof in my E30 - not the end of the world.

The car would be a 3rd/4th car, but would also likely be a DD for the most part. Im not worried about the winter, as it appears that top down with windows up and heat on is comfortable in the mild wintertime, and Im not afraid of some colder days. Spring, summer and fall, so long as it doesnt rain are all perfect, anytime over 50, which comes to at least 8 months a year. July/august may be tough because of too much sun, but my commute hours are before and after the worst parts of the day. Im not worried about the winter, as I rarely run heat in my cars in the cold of winter as it is, so if I have to run heat or seat heaters, so be it. My commute is only about 9 miles, so a cool/cold/hot drive isnt the end of the world.

Interesting about the rattles with the top up... I can see a lesser quality audio output with the top down, and I can see some of the other trades, but how serious are the squeaks and rattles with the top up? Does anyone with a 1 series notice such things yet?

I know I love the look with top down, and with top up isnt the end of the world - Id never say that it looks "bad", just kind of clunky perhaps. Im still 98% sold on the vert.

Just makes it tough...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #12
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Thanks everyone!

I do have multiple other cars, and alas, I have silver cars already. My wife used to have a white car, and while silver is great for hiding dirt, white hides low level dirt, salt, fine scratches, etc. quite well. Plus, the wife and I both really liked the AW with red interior and taupe top combo. I detail my cars quite often, and am not afraid of having a little dirt showing, so AW shouldnt be a big deal to us...

As for the other points, the coupe did have a power seat. This may be part of the issue. I lowered it all the way, and tried various places with it forward or back. To fit without touching, I had to recline the seat a fair amount, which is not good posture or comfortable to me... But Im used to touching the roof in my E30 - not the end of the world.

The car would be a 3rd/4th car, but would also likely be a DD for the most part. Interesting about the rattles with the top up... I can see a lesser quality audio output with the top down, and I can see some of the other trades, but how serious are the squeaks and rattles with the top up? Does anyone with a 1 series notice such things yet?

I know I love the look with top down, and with top up isnt the end of the world - Id never say that it looks "bad", just kind of clunky perhaps. Im still 98% sold on the vert.

Just makes it tough...

They exist when the temp goes down. On a 20 degree day the vert rattles, no squeeks. But its been warming up here and the rattles are gong away. But they are never so promonate as to hear them with the top down.
      03-27-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaday51 View Post
The vert trunk lid is bad, agreed. But spend the $350 from Dan and get a CF lip spolier, makes the trunkline look a million times better.

I dont know that i'd personally call it "bad", I just "prefer" the extra line on the trunklid of the coupe. Thanks for the info on the CF lip spoiler. Do you have any good pics of your car with it on? Particularly side shots?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaday51 View Post
They exist when the temp goes down. On a 20 degree day the vert rattles, no squeeks. But its been warming up here and the rattles are gong away. But they are never so promonate as to hear them with the top down.
OK, great info. The sunroof on my E30 rattles a bit on cold days, but it goes away when it warms up. I think I can deal with that.

I'd prefer to NOT have rattles with the top up on 50+ days...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #15
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I dont know that i'd personally call it "bad", I just "prefer" the extra line on the trunklid of the coupe. Thanks for the info on the CF lip spoiler. Do you have any good pics of your car with it on? Particularly side shots?

Thanks!
not me personally, yet. But here are the pics that sold me. Im using my cash for summer wheels right now. If I have $350 left over though...i'm buying one without hesitation.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ht=sgm+spoiler
      03-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #16
JHZR2
Major
Rep

Thanks!

Now Ill have to search for this with any AW cars to see how that looks... Might be a neat little clash... then again with a taupe top... maybe Ill have to rething the moonlight top or whatnot. Too many choices!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #17
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

Now Ill have to search for this with any AW cars to see how that looks... Might be a neat little clash... then again with a taupe top... maybe Ill have to rething the moonlight top or whatnot. Too many choices!

I can tell you that the moonlight top is gorgeous, I have it. Although I'm not sure how it would look on AW. And yes, a lot of guys on this forum have a CF spolier on an AW car. It looks great.
      03-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #18
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

I originally bought a coupe... beautiful car. But, then I traded it in on the 'vert. I have never regretted it even once.

Each car has it's own set of pros and cons, as you posted. But, I know them both well, and having had the unique experience of owning both of them... I recommend the convertible to you. Cool car, and tons of F-U-N.

TM
      03-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #19
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Quote:
OK, great info. The sunroof on my E30 rattles a bit on cold days, but it goes away when it warms up. I think I can deal with that.

I'd prefer to NOT have rattles with the top up on 50+ days...
There was a week or two here when the temperature was -10 to -15 celsius every day and I did not experience any rattles and the roads I was driving are a bit torn up by big rigs.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #20
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Since you are located in the colder climes and assuming this vehicle is to be used as a daily driver I say coupe.

I owned a 330Cic for 2.5 years. Loved it beyond words when the top was down, but during those wicked 4.5 months where the top had to remain up the cowl shake, rattles that seemingly came out of nowhere, and blind spots ultimately compelled me to sell it.

Verts no longer make sense to me on a daily basis unless you can use them in the roll God intended them, and that's in a virtual constant top down mode somewhere in the sun belt. Otherwise the extra cost and trade-offs just aren't worth it.

If this is a 3rd or 4th car, then the vert would be the call easily.

As far as fitting in the coupe shaving your head for that Mr. Clean look should help a bit.

Ultimately I think those of us who are married grudgingly know what the right choice is; whatever the wife wants.
Indiana and NJ climates are very different, I've lived in both areas.

IMO - I would probably not consider a 'vert in the mid-west. Too cold during the winter, too hot and humid during the summer. Too windy all year round.

NJ is much milder year-round due to the ocean nearby. I can definitely see having a 'vert in NJ.

My 1er 'vert is my daily drive. Now that the rains are gone in my area (Northern California) I'm mostly topless, but it's sometimes a bit chilly in the morning, so I'll have the top up. Now that I'm used to the small rear-window, I no longer notice the reduced visibility of the 'vert vs. a coupe. On the other hand - there is no comparing the visibility of the top down.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #21
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

We had this dilemma and took the cowards way out and now have one of each.

If forced to choose and it is a close one I prefer the looks of the convertible both roof up and down.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #22
jmcgraw013
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Cv

The vert is awesome! I love mine! Now two months into using it as a DD, the only squeak I have is the top lid once in a while. It's plenty warm in cold temps with the top up and I can drive top down at about 45-50 degrees with the heat turned up. A wind deflector is also helpful at colder temps with the top down.

My first car was a '73 MGB and haven't had another vert for 20+ years until now - hmmm, why did I wait so long?... My 135 is incredible and with the top down, it's like a heavenly dream with the sunshine, blue sky and the hum of the engine and exhaust - so sweet!

I agree that you get used to reduced visibility with the top up - it doesn't bother me. There's a bit more wind noise with the top up than a hard top, but not bad. I think the car handles very well and haven't noticed it shimmy much, its pretty tight - not like the coupe, but bearable given the trade-off for having the cloth top.

No regrets! My two cents-

'11 135i Cabriolet
Crimson Red, CPO, Savanna Beige Lthr, High Gloss, Shadowline
DCT, Prem Pkg, Sp Pkg, Value Pkg, Sirius, Alarm, CA, 264's
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread