BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
myke354
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

stupid noob question.. but need to know..

ok i know i will be flamed for this but i need to know..

what size is the turbos on the n54 and what is the size of the n55 turbo??

and being that the crank is different between the to motors do u feel the n55 crank could be used in a n54??

and does anyone have camshaft specs for these 2 motors.. and by specs i mean dur/lift
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I'm going off of memory here so this may be slightly off.

the N54 has two mitsubishi (can't remember the model) turbos with impeller inlets about the size of a quarter. Each turbo is fed by a fed by bank of 3 cylinders.
Don't know about the turbo on the N55 other than it's a twin scroll.

Being as the crankshaft in the N54 is forgeged and designed for a 400hp motor I'd want the N54 crank over the crank in the N55 but to myknowledge they are the exact same part.

Both the N54 and N55 have double VANOS. Both the intake and exhaust cams have variable timing and advance and retard automtically based on things like load engine speed and environmental factors such as air density and fuel quality. The N55 takes it a step further and adds Valvetronic to the mix which varies valve lift and a few other things

Hope that helps

But btw all of that info is searchable is is more than likely stickied in the engine section of this forum or E90post

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
myke354
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I'm going off of memory here so this may be slightly off.

the N54 has two mitsubishi (can't remember the model) turbos with impeller inlets about the size of a quarter. Each turbo is fed by a fed by bank of 3 cylinders.
Don't know about the turbo on the N55 other than it's a twin scroll.

Being as the crankshaft in the N54 is forgeged and designed for a 400hp motor I'd want the N54 crank over the crank in the N55 but to myknowledge they are the exact same part.

Both the N54 and N55 have double VANOS. Both the intake and exhaust cams have variable timing and advance and retard automtically based on things like load engine speed and environmental factors such as air density and fuel quality. The N55 takes it a step further and adds Valvetronic to the mix which varies valve lift and a few other things

Hope that helps

But btw all of that info is searchable is is more than likely stickied in the engine section of this forum or E90post
thanks bro but the n55 crank is lighter thats y i asked..
and i need the model turbo cause i would like to try and see if my local shop can make me a upgrade for these turbos that i would use as a paper weight
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by myke354 View Post
ok i know i will be flamed for this but i need to know..

what size is the turbos on the n54 and what is the size of the n55 turbo??

and being that the crank is different between the to motors do u feel the n55 crank could be used in a n54??

and does anyone have camshaft specs for these 2 motors.. and by specs i mean dur/lift
N54 has a Mits TD03, small tiny turbo's for quick spool for quick, early, and big low to mid rpm boost. They don't handle big boost as rpm builds as they don't have the flow capacity.

Seems the cranks have the same specs, except that the N55 crank is not forged and is lighter because of it, so it has less rotational mass, with the benefit being that it can be spun quicker with less energy needed to spin it.
A potential negative is that it is not forged so it's not as strong.
Jury is still out on how this will effect longevity. It will be a while until those with big tunes get higher miles, to see if a non-forged crank shows any problems.
Appreciate 0