BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
myke354
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

n54 questions!!!

ok i dont know if anyone has the info i need.. i know i have looked all over and there is nothing posted..

so does anyone know what a stock head flows??
and does anyone have any camshaft specs that they want to share???

and does anyone know where i can get a used n54 long block???
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by myke354 View Post
ok i dont know if anyone has the info i need.. i know i have looked all over and there is nothing posted..

so does anyone know what a stock head flows??
and does anyone have any camshaft specs that they want to share???

and does anyone know where i can get a used n54 long block???
-don't have the cfm values for the stock head. porting, camshafts, etc are not necessary on the n54, however. downpipes, intercooler, and a tune will net you between 350-400 whp. add meth and/or race gas and you'll be knocking on 11 second 1/4 mile times, assuming you ditch the runflats.

-the n54 is over $20k, doubt you'd want to buy a spare longblock (unless you blow up your stock engine)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
myke354
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
-don't have the cfm values for the stock head. porting, camshafts, etc are not necessary on the n54, however. downpipes, intercooler, and a tune will net you between 350-400 whp. add meth and/or race gas and you'll be knocking on 11 second 1/4 mile times, assuming you ditch the runflats.

-the n54 is over $20k, doubt you'd want to buy a spare longblock (unless you blow up your stock engine)
i found a old post on e90 for 10k but its sold..
i really wanted to know some specs cause alot of people say cams and porting isnt worth it but i really think that alot more power can be found... i have also seen some pics of the turbos and i know by some nice porting will help out making more power..

and yea i know bolt ons and meth and a nice tune can run 11's but y stop there ??
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by myke354 View Post
i found a old post on e90 for 10k but its sold..
i really wanted to know some specs cause alot of people say cams and porting isnt worth it but i really think that alot more power can be found... i have also seen some pics of the turbos and i know by some nice porting will help out making more power..

and yea i know bolt ons and meth and a nice tune can run 11's but y stop there ??
well there's no camshafts produced for the n54, so you'd be doing a custom set of cams if you decide to go that route. which means you would either have to:

a) spend loads of money on development, trying different profiles until you found one that made power

b) wait indefinitely for some manufacturer to release cams, which may never happen

the stock turbo's have already been improved upon by a few different companies. the upgrade costs north of $4k. if you're serious about doing a turbo upgrade, start with the basics: tune, intercooler, downpipes, exhaust, then meth.

if that's still not enough power, try upgrading the stock turbo's. you'll need a set of turbo's for a core, or your own turbo's if you can do without a car for a while. my guess is if and when you do full bolt-ons, tune, and meth, there will be more options for turbo upgrades, including the hpf stage 2-3. that's where you'll make sick power.

youtube search for horsepowerfreaks stage 4 m3. they're making around 1000 whp on that platform with a big single turbo. my guess is the n54 development will get to that level in the next year or two, and won't need cams or cyl. head porting, either.
Appreciate 0