BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #89
jozeff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

So then could I go as far as saying that out of the box, and definitely for the money, a Megane 250 would handle better than a 135i? - again the well sorted fwd vs mid spec rwd debate
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #90
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozeff View Post
So then could I go as far as saying that out of the box, and definitely for the money, a Megane 250 would handle better than a 135i? - again the well sorted fwd vs mid spec rwd debate
I think the only way to answer that properly is to test drive both cars and make up your own mind. I cannot offer any insight on the 250, however I've shared my experiences on the 135i and what I think are the best mods to do in order.

I do think that if you're shopping between these 2 cars you will end up factoring in other aspects of the car, such as how it looks, feels, power etc. If you deciding between these 2 solely on what handles 'better' there are other cars which will do the job for a lot less money. I think the value of the 135i lies in the engine, if that doesn't sell you on its own merits than a 125i would be more suitable as it will handle exactly the same as any stock 135i.

I'm biased for RWD cars, it might not always be the quickest way around the track but I find the driving experience a lot more rewarding. Also, I really don't see the point in comparing a 'stock' 135i to a 250. IMHO, changing out the RFT's is mandatory, not just for the fact that RFT's are hugely disappointing, but because they are not economical when it comes time for replacement. I think the change to non-RFT's alone would shave seconds off a lap time.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #91
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Handling in a stock 135i is average. Floaty at high speed and not firm enough with too much body roll. I ended up installing the BMW PS, which annoyed me as shouldn't be required on a $80k sports coupe!
I found exactly the same thing, was particularly unsettling at higher speeds.

Quote:
PS was spot on for street + occasional track use. This is how the car should have come from factory. The ride wasn't too hard either. Changing to a E93 FSB does quite a bit for the body roll.

Looking at the track testing of the new M135, it too has a lot of body roll, so looks like same again from BMW
I installed the PS as well and while the difference is very subtle in every day driving, when pushing it feels a lot more stable. Definitely how it should have come from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #92
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Quote:
+1 to all of that
+1 here.

I have a question:
1) What's PS? Power Steering?

Plus some comments:
1) We got the 135i convertible and whilst the handling is probably a little soft. I reckons it's good enough for me. I think dialing out some of the understeer would be nice but I don't fang it much.

2) For me vs. the Megane and pretty much anything else my reply is "how do I fold the roof down"? I occassionally get comments from the HSV and FPV crowd and the fact the 1er is as quick and is convertible is hard to beat.

3) I got rid of the run flats as soon as they died and the removal of that judder in the ride is worth every cent!

B
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #93
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
+1 here.

I have a question:
1) What's PS? Power Steering?

Plus some comments:
1) We got the 135i convertible and whilst the handling is probably a little soft. I reckons it's good enough for me. I think dialing out some of the understeer would be nice but I don't fang it much.

2) For me vs. the Megane and pretty much anything else my reply is "how do I fold the roof down"? I occassionally get comments from the HSV and FPV crowd and the fact the 1er is as quick and is convertible is hard to beat.

3) I got rid of the run flats as soon as they died and the removal of that judder in the ride is worth every cent!

B
PS = Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #94
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
PS = Performance Suspension
Perhaps we need a sticky of 1addicts acronyms, LOL .
Appreciate 0