BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
BMWbab1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Help w camber plate uninstall

I have to take my Vorshlag camber plates off as one of them has gone bad. I originally had them installed for me but now think I am good enough with cars to do it myself and save the $300. So I have a few questions about re-installing the OEM spring/strut perches.
-When I saw them installed before they had to remove the sway bar and the steering arm. Is this necessary? Is it possible to just loosen the strut at its mounting point near the hub and then pull the assembly down while the top three hat bolts are still connected? If not, can someone inform me how many lbs I need torque the swing arm and steering arm to when I reinstall them?
-Also there is a washer that is a little over 2" in diameter with what looks like a black painted ring on one side and the side with the ring on it slightly increases in thickness as you move towards the center. Where does this washer go and which side faces up?

I appreciate all of your help! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

1. jack up car
2. take off tire
3. Disconnect the sway bar from the strut
4. top 3 bolts, loosen them
5. hold the tower in place then take the bolts out (it will swing into your fender with force)
6. swing the top of the tower back toward the rear of the car and it should come out of the fender
7. loosen the bolt at the bottom of the wheel carrier holding the bottom of the strut in place
8. use a pry bar and pull the strut out

Now that it's free
1. put on spring compressors
2. compress them so the top hat is loose
3. remove the top hat center bolt

That's half. Reverse instructions to put the OEM top hat back on and re-install the strut.

Note that torque settings are 100nm for everything at the wheel carrier. Sway bar is more difficult, but go to ~70nm if you can. Top nuts are 25 ft-lb (note change in units).

You should be able to do this yourself with hand tools, spring compressors, and a pry bar.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
BMWbab1
Private First Class
Rep

Fboutlaw. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated! Does 70nm equate to about 50 lbs? I don't have a torque wrench that uses nm. Again, thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbab1 View Post
Fboutlaw. Thanks for your help! Much appreciated! Does 70nm equate to about 50 lbs? I don't have a torque wrench that uses nm. Again, thanks for your help!
From Bentley manual:

Strut top bearing to chassis: 25 ft-lb
Stabilizer bar link to strut: 43 ft-lb
Strut assembly to steering knuckle: M10 - 34 ft-lb, M12 - 60 ft-lb (forget which one is correct)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
BMWbab1
Private First Class
Rep

What is the torque lbs for the bolt at the crush sleeve where the bottom of the strut is inserted? If I remember right this is really high? Hopefully this is the last question! Thanks for all your help!!
Appreciate 0