BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
nsimkins
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

BMW roof rack - question on BMW racing cycle holder

I just installed the BMW base support system and the BMW racing cycle holder (lockable). I just did a test fit of my road bike on the holder and while I was turning the lock to secure the front fork I noticed that only one side of the "coupler" was moving inward to secure the fork to the holder. This left a gap on the passenger side of the holder as it did not retract into the holder while I was turning the knob to tighten the grip.

My question here... are both sides of the holder supposed to retract inward when locking the bike to the holder? When I had it as tight as it would go, only the driver side locked the fork to the holder while the other side was somewhat "loose" (not secure by any means) and I definitely wouldn't drive it with it like this.

Is this normal, do I have a defective holder, or is it my bike? For reference, I have an 09 Trek 2.1.

Any feedback from the bike rack folks would be appreciated.

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
nsimkins
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Just a bump for anyone with the racing cycle holder.

I sent a message online using the "Priority E-mail" feature of the BMW account website and will post up here if I get any answers that might help anyone in the future.
Appreciate 0