BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
No start?

Anyone have an alternator go out yet?

I'm dealing with recurrent battery drain issues. This all started a few months ago when I was working on the car and inadvertently left the door slightly ajar overnight (guess the dome light was on). Anyway, I jumped the battery no problem, but it seemed like it would need to be jumped every time the car sat undriven for a couple of weeks (not uncommon as I have two cars).

Anyway, this morning my other wouldn't start (fuel leak, I think), so I took the 1er out. It wouldn't start, which was a little concerning but not terribly surprising, but jumped easily and I drove it to work. Commute is maybe 12-15 miles, about 20-25 minutes (plenty of time for the battery to charge). Anyway, when I went back out to the car after work, it again would not start, but jumped easily.

I was thinking there must be a parasitic draw somewhere that was draining the car while it sat, but when I got home and killed the engine, I immediately tried restarting - and got nothing. So I'm thinking the battery must not be charging at all, maybe?

Battery is never completely flat - interior lights, stereo, and other consumers work fine. Haven't pulled codes yet, but no CEL. Also, battery is an AGM less than a year old, and has been registered and coded properly.

Thoughts?
      12-14-2017, 06:21 AM   #2
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

20 minutes is in no way sufficient time to charge a heavily discharged battery. And it's my understanding (which is admittedly rudimentary) that AGM batteries do not like being discharged. If it were me I'd invest in a trickle charger and plug it in whenever the car is sitting. Even if you don't go that far, you need to get a full charge back in that battery - if it will even accept one at this point - and short trips every couple weeks won't do it.
      12-14-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z3 coupe, 128i

Definately put a trickle charger/maintainer on it. You can check for drains on the fuses, but honestly, it sounds like you will be needing a new battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 07:30 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post

I'm dealing with recurrent battery drain issues. This all started a few months ago when I was working on the car and inadvertently left the door slightly ajar overnight (guess the dome light was on). Anyway, I jumped the battery no problem, but it seemed like it would need to be jumped every time the car sat undriven for a couple of weeks (not uncommon as I have two cars).

Anyway, this morning my other wouldn't start (fuel leak, I think), so I took the 1er out. It wouldn't start, which was a little concerning but not terribly surprising, but jumped easily and I drove it to work. Commute is maybe 12-15 miles, about 20-25 minutes (plenty of time for the battery to charge). Anyway, when I went back out to the car after work, it again would not start, but jumped easily.

I was thinking there must be a parasitic draw somewhere that was draining the car while it sat, but when I got home and killed the engine, I immediately tried restarting - and got nothing. So I'm thinking the battery must not be charging at all, maybe?

Battery is never completely flat - interior lights, stereo, and other consumers work fine. Haven't pulled codes yet, but no CEL. Also, battery is an AGM less than a year old, and has been registered and coded properly.

Thoughts?
It takes HOURS to recharge a dead battery. Get a battery maintainer and charge it up fully.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:

Thoughts?
It takes HOURS to recharge a dead battery. Get a battery maintainer and charge it up fully.
Actually AGM batteries don't like being left in a discharged state for any length of Time. When abused in this way they often will not accept a full charge. The voltage will be normal but the storage capacity can be adversely affected.

You need to check yours with a good tester calibrated for your battery. Some generic electronic testers will not correctly read modern batteries. I still like the old Pile testers.

Sometimes these batteries can be recovered but it takes a high amp charger and skills. Lifeline batteries has instructions on their website.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Like others have said... I would say to use a trickle charger and get the battery voltage back up there(12.8 dc volts). Then maybe load test the battery. Also test the charging system with the engine running to measure the battery voltage(13.5 DC volts).

Also make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. And also check your battery ground terminal for tightness on both ends.

I left my dash camera plugged in the wrong way once... drained my battery. My CTEK saved me. My car's been fine since then.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #7
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I actually put a trickle charge on the battery last night before posting his thread. I was delighted this morning to see the green light blinking, indicating >80% charge! The car started right up. On the way to work, I even stopped for gas, and the car restarted without a jump - and then again after work, restarted without a jump. The car is on a trickle charger again overnight, but I suspect it will be fine, and that the battery was simply more deeply discharged than I had thought.

Regarding AGM batteries, my understanding is that they tolerate deep cycling better than traditional wet cell batteries?

Anyway, I guess I'll just wait and see. I plan on using the trickle charger for a few more days, and then seeing how the car does with daily driving. If it sits for longer than a week, I will use the trickle charger religiously (I used to use it a lot,but my current garage requires an extension cord be used, which my wife hijacked for Christmas lights, lol).
      12-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #8
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

I have a solar powered battery maintainer that plugs into the OBD2 port. Even in our dimly lit parking garage, it is enough to keep the battery at 100%. Very simple to use.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I have a solar powered battery maintainer that plugs into the OBD2 port. Even in our dimly lit parking garage, it is enough to keep the battery at 100%. Very simple to use.
Link? Sounds very cool.
      12-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Link? Sounds very cool.
http://sunforceproducts.com/products...-ii-connector/
Appreciate 1