BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-06-2023, 11:39 PM   #1
bensoda
Rep
Drives: 2006 Volvo V70R

Price check: 128i 6MT

Hi y'all, new to the forum (as you can probably tell) and was hoping someone could help me with pricing for a 128i 6MT. I've been looking to purchase one for a bit now and have seen prices kind of all over the place so I'm not really sure what would be considered "fair value" in today's market.

Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about these cars yet but do know enough that certain options and colors will command a premium. Not really looking for one of those cars anyways and really just a clean car with average miles that's preferably a later model year (although not really sure that matters?), 6MT, and ideally a car with the sport package option.

Appreciate any input, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 05:43 AM   #2
audi355
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT sport

Prices are you said are all over the place, and can be pretty subjective. Your best bet is to regularly check the usual suspects: the cars for sale page here, FB marketplace, Craigs, etc., see what's for sale and how long some cars linger, and you'll get a feel for the market.

Don't know if that helps, but there really isn't a fair value, as there are lots of variables. With a little time, you'll know a decent deal when you see it, and can move on it before someone else does.

In the grand scheme of things, even "overpaying" means you still got a really cool car for little more than half of what the average used car costs these days according to KBB.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 10:38 AM   #3
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

My advice for getting a good one:
1. Join BMWCCA and your local chapter will be: https://www.sdbmwcca.com/ Talking with these local guys will be hugely important.
2. Recommend buying privately, someone who really knows their car and should have maintenance records. Nice if they have a CARFAX; if not, ask them to get one. If not, walk away.
3. Just looking at the cars tires will tell you a lot: Michelin, Bridgestone, Toyo, Hankook [+ a few others] is good, Wang Ho Super Trak, not so good. Tire speed rating should be "V" or better. Tires should not older than 6 years, google " how to tell the age of a tire".
Good Luck
Understand these cars, especially with a 6 speed manual tranny and well maintained, are appreciating in value.

Must read "The Ultimate 1-Series Buyers Guide" here in the General Discussion section

Last edited by NorthernDancer; 04-07-2023 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: add info
Appreciate 2
Tuxedo1409.00
      04-07-2023, 06:55 PM   #4
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
Fair price and fair value seem to be quite different for our cars. Roughly speaking, a good value would be one under fair price.

Depending on your desired year, say pre lci or lci, for 28’s doesn’t matter too much past 08.

The main differences is technology and some appearances including the tail light.

If you want cheapest, you can find manual 09’s around 8-10k at 100-120k miles.

Good condition ones with some maintenance history and long life ahead could be 13-17k easily.

There’s a unique market for each of the trims this car offered. People who really want a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder with a manual? 128. Turbo’d manual? 135 pre lci or lci. Really the only ones left behind are maybe pre lci auto’s because of the older tech but honestly anything goes.

Just make a list of what your needs are, and as long as a car hits that, things can be retrofitted or changed later
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 08:30 PM   #5
bensoda
Rep
Drives: 2006 Volvo V70R

Appreciate all the input guys, seems like the general consensus is if a car pops up that's in my budget, and meets my requirements buy it lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 09:14 PM   #6
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
3. Just looking at the cars tires will tell you a lot: Michelin, Bridgestone, Toyo, Hankook [+ a few others] is good, Wang Ho Super Trak, not so good. Tire speed rating should be "V" or better. Tires should not older than 6 years, google " how to tell the age of a tire".
Tires are expendables and disposables. The fact that someone has made a bad or cheap choice on tires should not immediately disqualify that car as a good prospect. Only the owner is disqualified. A stupid cheapskate might still take his/her car in for regular maintenance and is less likely to try to cobble crap together by themselves and instead may have paid thousands of dollars for a dealer to fix minor oil leaks, etc.

And I have Continental DSW tires on at least four BMWs in my driveway right now.

As for where to look, I've looked everywhere but both E82s I've purchased came from leads on this forum and were purchased directly from the owners. Now one was 22-hours from me and the other about 12-hours away, but if you really want what you want, that's part of the price you pay.

Odd colors bring premium prices on commercial sites like Bring A Trailer, but then BaT wouldn't even allow a 1-series in the auctions for years. That might be a statement about who they think their buyers are . . . and who they actually are! A 128i is not for dweebs with too much money. They are for us BMW fanatics with several centuries of BMWs under our belt who know what a BMW should be and what it is for.

Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 04:04 PM   #7
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
If you want one, act fast, they aren't getting any more common or cheaper.

I paid in 2020 what seemed like a silly price for a low-miles mint 128i manual convertible. From a BMW dealer no less - but it was the nicest one I could find (and has given me zero hassles). But that price today buys a very average one with twice the miles. That trend shows no signs of stopping.

Newest, lowest miles, with the best service history you can find are the keys to used BMW happiness.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0