Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
^good points.

My 13 year old, who I would like to envision in that neglected 2002, LOVES my wife's Prius . . . and I have been slowly coming to grips with that, LOL
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #24
LukeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

E39 5 series
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #25
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

Before my kid ever gets in a car he's taking the teenage driver school at the BMW facility. It'll probably pay for itself 4X by preventing a car accident.
2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #26
ignote
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

How about a manual Mazda 3? Fun to drive, easy and cheap to repair. Not so much power to get into trouble.
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #27
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Subaru wagon. All the way. That's how I learned stick and the thing never breaks.
      09-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #28
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
I have two soon-to-be teenage drivers and am looking for a car they can drive to high school and around town. We'll have a newer, safer car they can use for longer trips, so I want this car to have some character.

Here are my preferences.
  1. Manual transmission
  2. Seating for four or five
  3. Safe-ish
  4. Has character. Bonus points if it's older than they are (pre-2000), breaks down occasionally and/or you don't see one every day
  5. Parts are available (I didn't say readily available) and repairs aren't super expensive
  6. Will plant a love of cars deep in their souls
  7. Near the bottom of its depreciation curve and - bonus points - possibily even starting to appreciate

I'm looking to spend $10k or less. Ideally quite a bit less, but I'd be happy to spend around $10k or even more for the right car.

I'm thinking older WRX or GTI, BMW E30, Saab 9-3 Viggen or 9-2X (Saabaru) - and maybe, just maybe, importing a 25+ year-old car from Europe (like a Peugeot, Lancia or Renault...). This is a quick list, so I'm sure there are more great possibilities out there. Trucks and SUVs are okay, too.

Let's hear your suggestions! Or, talk me out of my lunacy...

Great questions. I think you have to decide on your level of commitment to work on the car (pre 2000) with your son. For me, my step son who I inherited at 14, after setting some goals inherited my 1988 325i in 2001 as his first car and after many great BMW experiences together we are closer than ever. He has a monster (700+hp) 335i today and we own a modded 1991 325i together today. In 2014 we searched and found a crispy clean 1989 325i for my daughter for her 16th Birthday and she is still learning the stick but the whole family fights over driving the car. I personally get the widest smile driving no my 1m but every time I drive the e30 it reminds me of why I fell in love with BMW as it is truly a drivers car, but as I said it does require maintenance which for us was a way the family grew together.

Also, from a cool factor, the e30's always get thumbs up on the road and "respect" ....

Clearly I am. I asked and would direct you to an e30 . Good luck!
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #29
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
My son is 14 and we have 2008 GTI and 2003 ZHP. I told him to help me wash the gti. Because someday it might be his to drive to school. He said, Dad, I know I'll have to start with an old clunker but I hope you keep the zhp so I can buy it from you! I'm. Big fan of wrx but they are faaast and not good for rookies in my opinion. I think 325i or 330i manual is front engine rear drive and a blast in manual. They will definitely break down too so you will learn to work on them. 1Mgator got his kids an e30 sedan and I can't think of a better car to get the bug. They are light, quick, handle well and fairly easy to work on and very high on the cool factor. If you can find an old Scion FRS for 10k you will be a hero! Great mileage, handling, reliable and tons of mods out there to keep them interested. Also not stupid fast. God luxk
You better save that ZHP for him or he will have his eyes on the 1m
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #30
sixburgh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6 MT BMW PE

Four door car is safer for structural integrity. But I offer this advice; no more than two people are allowed in the car at a time. More passengers than that is a distraction to a beginner driver. Also, don't be alarmed; most likely the car could be in an accident. Send your children to a street survivor program and volunteer your time. Truism from a father of (2) grown children.
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #31
thewubwub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: like a slowpoke

91' ford taurus
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #32
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewubwub View Post
91' ford taurus
Worst car ever. Nothing interesting about it.

How about an e92 330?
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #33
thewubwub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: like a slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Worst car ever. Nothing interesting about it.

How about an e92 330?
Just threw it out there cuz it was my first car haha!!
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-11-2016, 05:07 PM   #34
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

An interesting bit of trivia about the first Ford Taurus: it was the police car in the Robocop movies. Other than that, the original Taurus SHO was kinda cool.

"Dead or alive you're coming with me."
Attached Images

Last edited by Esteban; 09-11-2016 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #35
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Ok make that the 05-06 e90 330i.

Or the 05 e46 3 series.

Both are great cars. The last year of the e46 carried over in production into the e90 3 series for over a year. It is in fact that good?
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #36
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

E21 320i was my first car and I think a great first choice. Cool older BMW, slow enough to not get them in trouble, easy to fix and service, built like a tank. Affordable.
Appreciate 2
nachob2314.00
///BYU268.50
      09-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #37
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Awesome responses, everyone. Thank you! A few comments:

Quote:
Suggest you narrow it down to a few different but good options and then bring them in on the buying decision. The more connected they are to it the more likely they are to take an interest in maintaining it.
My kids have been offering input along the way as I've shared your suggestions. All our kids really like BMWs (E30, E46, E21, E28, E39), with my oldest son putting the E30 at the top of his list and my oldest daughter putting the E46 at the top of hers. They're less excited about the Saab Viggen and have given the thumbs down to any wagon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
I may sound old fashioned here, but I'd make them get a job and pay you back for their first car. It will help them understand fiscal responsibility and the importance of maintenance.

And not to be too blunt here (nor to undermine your generosity), but it also sounds like you're buying their first car used car based on your own personality, experiences, and priorities. You want a car with character that is also quirky and unreliable on occasion--even going to the point of considering something as impractical as importing a car form Europe. Those are all admirable aspects for an adult car-lover but your kids may not ever feel that way about cars. A car may just be something that carries them about town. Their passions may not parallel your own when it comes to cars and I think you should let them find their own way.

In short, safety and practicality should be the number one priority IMHO. Once they learn HOW to drive a car, then they can focus on what they VALUE about a car--it may be vastly different then what you value (and in a 1M forum we admittedly have very biased and unconventional values about cars that just aren't very sane IRL). There is plenty of time for them to evolve to the point where they could want to buy something european and quirky that they can wrench on. I think the true gift that you can give them here, is the freedom to choose.

If I had my druthers (and I don't have kids), I'd lease them a Fiesta or Focus for a couple hundy a month (24 month lease) which any teenager with a part-time job can afford. They'll learn how to drive stick, how leasing and finance works, and it won't break the bank.
Good points, as always! I know we can definitely be better about teaching our kids to be financially responsible, but simply being "gifted" a car when they turn 16 isn't an option for our kids. Sorry if I implied that. My 16-year old son knows there are two routes to getting a car: (1) he is absolutely welcome to buy his own car and pay for his own insurance any time he wants and (2) when he was around 12 or 13, we told him we would get a car that he could drive and pay for his insurance as long as he maintained a 4.0 GPA and completed a meaningful service in the community that benefited other people less fortunate than him. He was smart and took option 2 and decided to do a toy drive for the kids at Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City. He was a patient at Primary Children's, so there was some personal interest for him in doing this (he fractured his skull a few years ago while pogo sticking... without a helmet... trying to go down a flight of concrete stairs... in the rain ).

My daughter, who is 15, has the same offer.

And yes, I'm definitely buying their first car based on what I like. That's because my deal with them is that it's actually my car and I'm letting them use it as long as they do their part. They know they can buy what they want if they don't like it. Fortunately, they happen to like what I like for the most part, so we'll definitley find common ground. If it sounds like I'm trying to nuture in my kids a love for cars, it's because that's exactly what I'm trying to do. If they want to drive Camrys when they're older and if they only remember their first car as "some old BMW, I don't really know what it was," that's totally fine, but it won't be because I didn't try.

I do agree that we need to be careful not to live vicariously through our kids and that we should help them explore many options and find their own passions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
Before my kid ever gets in a car he's taking the teenage driver school at the BMW facility. It'll probably pay for itself 4X by preventing a car accident.
100% agree. I'm a little late with my son who just turned 16, but as soon as possible (not more than a year), I'll have him in a teen driving school. Same thing with the rest of our kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mGator View Post
Great questions. I think you have to decide on your level of commitment to work on the car (pre 2000) with your son. For me, my step son who I inherited at 14, after setting some goals inherited my 1988 325i in 2001 as his first car and after many great BMW experiences together we are closer than ever. He has a monster (700+hp) 335i today and we own a modded 1991 325i together today. In 2014 we searched and found a crispy clean 1989 325i for my daughter for her 16th Birthday and she is still learning the stick but the whole family fights over driving the car. I personally get the widest smile driving no my 1m but every time I drive the e30 it reminds me of why I fell in love with BMW as it is truly a drivers car, but as I said it does require maintenance which for us was a way the family grew together.

Also, from a cool factor, the e30's always get thumbs up on the road and "respect" ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
E21 320i was my first car and I think a great first choice. Cool older BMW, slow enough to not get them in trouble, easy to fix and service, built like a tank. Affordable.
Love this. If I found the right E30 or E21, I'd jump on it. But it's been a challenge, in part because I know I'm picky. One thing we might do is try to find something (like an E46) that is priced such that we could sell it within a year for about what we paid for it. That would allow us to basically "rent" something on the cheap while we continue the search for an E30, E21 or similar car that is a little harder to find in the right configuration, right condition, right history, etc.

If you ever come across a good one for sale, definitely let me know.

Quote:
91' ford taurus
I've thought about buying an Aztek or a Sebring convertible. Talk about a memorable first car. My son would laugh and be cool with it. My daughter would just walk everywhere and might never speak to me again.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #38
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've thought about buying an Aztek or a Sebring convertible. Talk about a memorable first car. My son would laugh and be cool with it. My daughter would just walk everywhere and might never speak to me again.
The Aztek - that's funny! That has to be the ugliest car I've ever seen. I'd walk everywhere too!
      09-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #39
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU
Awesome responses, everyone. Thank you! A few comments:

Quote:
Suggest you narrow it down to a few different but good options and then bring them in on the buying decision. The more connected they are to it the more likely they are to take an interest in maintaining it.
My kids have been offering input along the way as I've shared your suggestions. All our kids really like BMWs (E30, E46, E21, E28, E39), with my oldest son putting the E30 at the top of his list and my oldest daughter putting the E46 at the top of hers. They're less excited about the Saab Viggen and have given the thumbs down to any wagon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
I may sound old fashioned here, but I'd make them get a job and pay you back for their first car. It will help them understand fiscal responsibility and the importance of maintenance.

And not to be too blunt here (nor to undermine your generosity), but it also sounds like you're buying their first car used car based on your own personality, experiences, and priorities. You want a car with character that is also quirky and unreliable on occasion--even going to the point of considering something as impractical as importing a car form Europe. Those are all admirable aspects for an adult car-lover but your kids may not ever feel that way about cars. A car may just be something that carries them about town. Their passions may not parallel your own when it comes to cars and I think you should let them find their own way.

In short, safety and practicality should be the number one priority IMHO. Once they learn HOW to drive a car, then they can focus on what they VALUE about a car--it may be vastly different then what you value (and in a 1M forum we admittedly have very biased and unconventional values about cars that just aren't very sane IRL). There is plenty of time for them to evolve to the point where they could want to buy something european and quirky that they can wrench on. I think the true gift that you can give them here, is the freedom to choose.

If I had my druthers (and I don't have kids), I'd lease them a Fiesta or Focus for a couple hundy a month (24 month lease) which any teenager with a part-time job can afford. They'll learn how to drive stick, how leasing and finance works, and it won't break the bank.
Good points, as always! I know we can definitely be better about teaching our kids to be financially responsible, but simply being "gifted" a car when they turn 16 isn't an option for our kids. Sorry if I implied that. My 16-year old son knows there are two routes to getting a car: (1) he is absolutely welcome to buy his own car and pay for his own insurance any time he wants and (2) when he was around 12 or 13, we told him we would get a car that he could drive and pay for his insurance as long as he maintained a 4.0 GPA and completed a meaningful service in the community that benefited other people less fortunate than him. He was smart and took option 2 and decided to do a toy drive for the kids at Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City. He was a patient at Primary Children's, so there was some personal interest for him in doing this (he fractured his skull a few years ago while pogo sticking... without a helmet... trying to go down a flight of concrete stairs... in the rain ).

My daughter, who is 15, has the same offer.

And yes, I'm definitely buying their first car based on what I like. That's because my deal with them is that it's actually my car and I'm letting them use it as long as they do their part. They know they can buy what they want if they don't like it. Fortunately, they happen to like what I like for the most part, so we'll definitley find common ground. If it sounds like I'm trying to nuture in my kids a love for cars, it's because that's exactly what I'm trying to do. If they want to drive Camrys when they're older and if they only remember their first car as "some old BMW, I don't really know what it was," that's totally fine, but it won't be because I didn't try.

I do agree that we need to be careful not to live vicariously through our kids and that we should help them explore many options and find their own passions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
100% agree. I'm a little late with my son who just turned 16, but as soon as possible (not more than a year), I'll have him in a teen driving school. Same thing with the rest of our kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mGator View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
Love this. If I found the right E30 or E21, I'd jump on it. But it's been a challenge, in part because I know I'm picky. One thing we might do is try to find something (like an E46) that is priced such that we could sell it within a year for about what we paid for it. That would allow us to basically "rent" something on the cheap while we continue the search for an E30, E21 or similar car that is a little harder to find in the right configuration, right condition, right history, etc.

If you ever come across a good one for sale, definitely let me know.

Quote:
91' ford taurus
Aztec is number 1 on all ugliest cars of all time! Watch it be a collectible based universally acclaimed ugliness! Might not be a bad investment! : )
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #40
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Gti for sure. Safe, not too powerful, reliable, great mileage and damn fun!

Edit: Don't want to start an argument, so I'll just say right now that my 150k mile MKIV GTI 1.8T was reliable during my ownership of 110k miles. One waterpump went, one clutch due to me resting my left foot on the clutch pedal all the time (lesson learned) and one passenger front spring broke as a result of 15 upstate NY winters.

Last edited by Gray_Panther; 09-12-2016 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #41
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Thoughts on the 128i? They are becoming very affordable and would make a great first car.
      09-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #42
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
Thoughts on the 128i? They are becoming very affordable and would make a great first car.
Good choice. Decent power but not too much for a beginner, rear wheel drive, hydraulic steering, traction control to keep everyone safe. Nice little BMW to start with. I'd feel good about my son or daughter driving one.

Last edited by Esteban; 09-14-2016 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      09-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #43
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
Excellent suggestion. This is why I posted my question. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #44
Stoney80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BSM 1M

Quote:
Excellent suggestion. This is why I posted my question. Thanks!
I'll second this one...solid engine and healthy amount of modification options if they decide to go down that road.

BTW, I read all of your responses above and just wanted to say you're a good dad.
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50