E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Incline parking: Park, handbrake, foot release

08-03-2005, 12:12 PM   #1
BMRu4ia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i VR

Incline parking: Park, handbrake, foot release

Ive noticed that when parking on an incline(even with a small grade) the transmisson feels "clunky" when I engage it into reverse form "P".

I park with the foot on the brake shift to "P" and lift the hand brake firmly with my foot still on the foot brake then easy off the foot brake. I feel this keeps the car resting on the transmission.

I've always done this with my other cars with success. But it seems the had brake in the bimmer doesn't engage until I lift my foot of the brake-which leads to a "clunky" shift from "P" to "R".

Maybe I should be more agressive when engaging my hand break. Or use the hand break before shifting into "P"

Or maybe it's just me
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRu4ia
Maybe I should be more agressive when engaging my hand break. Or use the hand break before shifting into "P"
I have a manual transmission, but I have also noticed that the hand brake is not real secure unless you set it pretty firmly. I don't really like to do this, but I don't think it hurts anything to pull it firmly. It might stretch the e-brake cable a bit, but this can be adjusted and is probably normal.

Other cars I have had didn't require such a firm pull of the brake lever, but I think it just depends on the car. I have experienced what you are describing in lots of rental cars with Auto that I have driven, so I would say it's probably not unique to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2005, 12:51 PM   #3
BMRu4ia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i VR

"I don't think it hurts anything to pull it firmly."

Your right,a little firmer on that hand break .its cheaper that a new transmission.
Appreciate 0