BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Maddog06
Rep
Drives: 04' wrx

Another Newbie

Hey Ladies & Gents,

Just another newbie to the forums so I thought I'd jump on and take the moment to say hi & introduce myself. I have been lurking around here for a few months now. Currently driving a WRX here in Perth, but looking to make the transition from Japanese to Bavarian very soon! Lease on my current vehicle ends sometime in August, and my eyes are already set on purchasing a 2nd hand 2009 135i around Aug/Sept. I am very eager to learn the art of RWD cars and I only seem to hear great things about this German pocket rocket!

I think I am pretty confident (fussy?) in what I want when it comes to the 135i, what are your thoughts?

Colour combos in mind are:

Black with Coral Red interior or Blue with Beige interior or White with Coral Red interior (ever since I set my eye's on that coral red interior, I seem to have fallen in love!)

As for the rest of the features I would definitely want a 1er with:
- DIY Gearbox (did think about the paddles, but knowing me, if I got the paddles, I would regret not getting a manual)
- Electric Glass Roof (Rather this, than a ragtop imo)
- Sat Nav with bluetooth/iphone integration (guess this is where my geeky gadget side kicks in) (I hear the iDrive on the 2009 model is more user friendly than previous models?)

Looking on Carsales it seems there is definitely more choice of cars over east, so I would probably be looking into either purchasing over there and either taking time off work to experience the drive from East coast to West coast, or transporting it back to Perth (I read on here CEVA are the ones to check out?)

I will be looking for a 135i between $50-$60k. What sort of issues should I be aware of? I hear a few comments being thrown around in regards to the HPFP? Is there anything I should be "prepared" for? For $50-$60k what sort of mileage should I expect a car to have done? Some people recommend redbook to get an idea, but that is never an accurate measure of the current sales market. I have also found that price on Carsales can also vary a bit, hence why I am asking you trustworthy 1addicts!

I'm sure I'll ask plenty more as time goes on, and as I being to further my knowledge on these beautiful machines!

M.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Be smart and get less fussy on colour combos. Buy one of the cars from a member here that's already well modded and save a packet. Don't worry about HPFP it's like climate change.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
ozzie135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Yeah agreed, get one from a member here so you don't have to buy the goodies. And be less fussy about the colour combos.

Wouldn't worry about HPFP as new and old all suffer from it and its fixable with a replacement under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

However if you purchase one around $50-60k it would most likely ran out of warranty anyway.. But not to worry, new or old regardless you'll face HPFP issues.

It's highly unlikely you'll find your "perfect" colour combo, most of the colours look great already on the car. If you are desperate for a iDrive, do get the updated one, old ones *^%^*

In terms of km I think anywhere between 35-55,000km is reasonable at the pkrce your looking. Obviously lower the better but if theres a slight higher one that's better cared, you shouldn't rule it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
fly135
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe N55

Garage List
2011 135i  [5.50]
Welcome mate, the 1ner is a great little car and you wont be dissapointed with your decision.

As for the market value, i believe the best indicator is always carsales.com, not the redbook. People will normally knock off a few thousand dollars off their listed price.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Welcome to the club mate. Sounds like you've done your research and know what you want. There have been quite a few that have made the switch from wrx to 135i. Agreed on the idrive, it's a must have. Make sure you only get it on the 09+ models because the old idrive is relic technology. There seems to be a few issues with our cars (HPFP, injectors, vanos) and it seems like it's only a matter of time before these occur. Don't let it put you off buying the car though as it's too much fun. Unfortunately can't help you on price as haven't looked into that for a while. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

You'll never look back. I have loved my 135i since the day I bought it. Originally envisaging this would be my ride for a couple of years before upgrading to a 911, but I love this car so much I will definitely miss it. I might have to wait until I can get the 911 turbo as those twin turbo N54s are addictive.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Welcome mate, got a few 1er in Perth, more then welcome to check my car to see my co our combo (montage blue with lemon interior).

In terms of pricing I got my 08 for 59k driveaway with 20000km on the clock plus 3 years extended warranty from auto classic.

It's a shame mine didn't come with drive but second hand buyer cant be too fussy and I needed a car ASAP.

Personally I'd go with blue or white but then again my last 3 cars was black so I'm over it...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
ozzie135i
Private First Class
Rep

I love the blue. I think i'll get a blue one next time. So classy after a wax. RaihaX you got a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I wouldn't get too hung up on idrive, like all tech it dates quickly and you don't need it to pair a phone with the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Welcome to the forum, looks like you have just missed my 135i as it fits your spec! Someone in Brissie bought it from the dealer; you probably missed it by about a week!

HPFP I had one fail at around 30k, but everyone was different. Even the Bangley is still stuck on pumpy thingy no.4. So, I think as long as they have a later pump, it should be okay.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Great colour combos in mind! Black leather is a bit boring these days.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Sunroof in Australia .. when does it get cool enough to use?

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Sunroof in Australia .. when does it get cool enough to use?
+1 it looks good though
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Welcome to the forum mate.

I know you are after a coupe, but my " ragtop has all the specs you are after.

Black Piano interior trim fitted by BMW at the factory.. Gives an awesome contrast to the BSM/Coral.

Also my Coral trim is as New..have always cleaned and detailed the leather since new.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...s=14&silo=1011

.BSM
.Coral Interior
.6MT
.Professional Nav
.Comfrot Access
.Moonlight black roof

PLUS a few additional "extras"

.JB3/1.4 ( 255.1 Kw's ATW )
.Custom exhaust

.12 MONTHS rego
.4 NEW tyres..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
Maddog06
Rep

Wow, I really am overwhelmed! Thanks for all the replies guys!

You guys are correct, I do need to be less fussy. I just want to get as close to the colour combo and features that I want, especially as I would intend on keeping this next car for 3-5yrs. The plans for the car will be to eventually give it a mild tune. So I am keeping in mind purchasing one with some mods. I will most definitely look into the N54 model, as the N55 is still out of my price range.

Zuzu: I had a look at your car. it's a very lovely example! At this stage I am pretty much set on a hardtop (unless someone can convince me otherwise), however I am ever so slightly leaning towards the vert the more I look at it! If I haven't found the hardtop I am looking for, I shall get in touch

Cheers,
M.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #17
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Good luck in your search
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #18
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

No probs mate..Have fun searching.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 07:18 AM   #19
Maddog06
Rep

Hey guys,

Few questions I hope you are able to answer for me.

1) iDrive - I am really contemplating whether I would actually use it. Being in Perth, there is no real use for a sat-nav or even when I head out country for a leisurely stroll (plus I can use TomTom on my iPhone 4 if necessary anyway). What is good about the iDrive unit, that makes it worth having? Better control of music? Any other reason/s?

At the moment, in the wrx, I have an Alpine head unit with iPod cable connected through glove box. I either just pick the playlist on the iPod prior to driving, or I can access and flick through music using the Alpine head unit whilst the iPod/iPhone is connected. Whilst it is connected I am not able to access iPod menus on the iPhone or iPod, as the Alpine unit locks it, hence accessing music through the head unit itself.

Would this be similar operating procedures if the iPhone 4 or iPod is connected to a non-iDrive 135i? Does the non-iDrive 1er still come with iPod cable in the centre compartment, or is this generally an optional feature?

2. Vehicle Transport - Anyone here in Perth bought a vehicle from east? East coast simply has a greater range. I spoke to CEVA in regards to transporting a 1er from east coast and they have given me a "rough" quote of $3k I have asked for Auto Trans to give me a quote, but yet to hear from them. at $3k, I'm pretty much better off getting to know the vehicle as I drive it back to Perth! While experiencing the barren Australian landscape ofcourse!

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #20
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog06 View Post
Hey guys,

Few questions I hope you are able to answer for me.

1) iDrive - I am really contemplating whether I would actually use it. Being in Perth, there is no real use for a sat-nav or even when I head out country for a leisurely stroll (plus I can use TomTom on my iPhone 4 if necessary anyway). What is good about the iDrive unit, that makes it worth having? Better control of music? Any other reason/s?

At the moment, in the wrx, I have an Alpine head unit with iPod cable connected through glove box. I either just pick the playlist on the iPod prior to driving, or I can access and flick through music using the Alpine head unit whilst the iPod/iPhone is connected. Whilst it is connected I am not able to access iPod menus on the iPhone or iPod, as the Alpine unit locks it, hence accessing music through the head unit itself.

Would this be similar operating procedures if the iPhone 4 or iPod is connected to a non-iDrive 135i? Does the non-iDrive 1er still come with iPod cable in the centre compartment, or is this generally an optional feature?

2. Vehicle Transport - Anyone here in Perth bought a vehicle from east? East coast simply has a greater range. I spoke to CEVA in regards to transporting a 1er from east coast and they have given me a "rough" quote of $3k I have asked for Auto Trans to give me a quote, but yet to hear from them. at $3k, I'm pretty much better off getting to know the vehicle as I drive it back to Perth! While experiencing the barren Australian landscape ofcourse!

Thanks in advance!
1. yeh iDrive pretty much only gives you nav and access to a few fancy screens... it's a good feature to have and can come in handy at times. I rarely use my nav but there's always those one off occasions..

2. vehicle transport from the east should only be about 1k, I'll find out who that quote was from cause i can't remember... well that was for perth to east, maybe it's more expensive going from east to perth due to higher demand..?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #21
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

I swear, you'll use the iDrive to impress chicks more than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:16 AM   #22
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honny View Post
I swear, you'll use the iDrive to impress chicks more than anything else.
only if those chics like playing with small knobs
Appreciate 0