BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
mfindigital
Registered
Rep
Drives: looking for a 135i

Looking at a 2011 135i and have a few questions

I know, search search search, but there is so much conflicting information. I have done a ton of research and just have a few questions.

The 135i I found has 39k miles, is being sold at bmw but is too old for CPO. They want 4300 for a powertrain warranty up to 120k miles (insane), so that's probably a no go. I have heard the DCT transmission is essentially bulletproof at stock power levels, other say it's a major point of concern for wear and tear. I also read that is can cost 14,000 to replace that transmission if it goes out, but also heard about 4k if it goes out.

Essentially my question is this: Are the DCT transmissions at least AS reliable as a standard manual transmission. I'd love a manual, but these cars are extremely difficult to track down period, moreso for a manual, and I have a 20 mile commute in heavy traffic in Santa Monica, so DCT seems like a great compromise.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps! Really looking forward to becoming an owner of one of these great cars.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Real Dodger
I'd rather be driving right now
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

I've had mine for 3 years/47k miles. Only problem I had was needing the SIB 14-15-15 (?) patch/download. Transmission has been worry free other than that.
      11-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #3
BAN_M2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
I know, search search search, but there is so much conflicting information. I have done a ton of research and just have a few questions.

The 135i I found has 39k miles, is being sold at bmw but is too old for CPO. They want 4300 for a powertrain warranty up to 120k miles (insane), so that's probably a no go. I have heard the DCT transmission is essentially bulletproof at stock power levels, other say it's a major point of concern for wear and tear. I also read that is can cost 14,000 to replace that transmission if it goes out, but also heard about 4k if it goes out.

Essentially my question is this: Are the DCT transmissions at least AS reliable as a standard manual transmission. I'd love a manual, but these cars are extremely difficult to track down period, moreso for a manual, and I have a 20 mile commute in heavy traffic in Santa Monica, so DCT seems like a great compromise.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps! Really looking forward to becoming an owner of one of these great cars.
Picked up mine in August. 2011 DCT N55, too old to CPO.

Signed up for the 60m/60k miles warranty that covers basically everything that could go wrong with the engine or electrical for roughly 4K.

Peace of mind sometimes is priceless.
|2017 LBB M2|6 speed|EP|Black Kidney Grill & Side Gills|XPel|Eibach Pro Kit|10mm Turner Spacers|BMS Clutch Stop|Mode Carbon Splitter|FS Sport Cat DP|DINAN Resonator Delete|DINAN Free Flow Exhaust|DINAN Dual Core FMIC|DINAN Carbon CAI|DINAN Sport Tuner|
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
trainerjon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M package

Send a message via Skype™ to trainerjon
I have 142k miles on it with quite a few track days. I changed the DCT oil and filters at 100k. Still works perfect!

'11 135i M-Sport DCT, M3 RSFB, PPK, CP, BMS intake, Agency Power Axle Back, FSB, M3/M1 Front Control Arms, Dinan Fixed Camber Plates, E92 M3 Front Seats, VMR 701's Squared 245's - Daily Driven, Occasionally Tracked - 133k miles
Appreciate 2
      11-22-2017, 01:11 PM   #5
mfindigital
Registered
Rep

Great, thank you for the feedback. I'm pulling the trigger today without a warranty. They dropped the price on the warranty but bundled it with a ridiculous 5.1 rate, and wouldn't honor the reduced price without that rate. I will probably look into an aftermarket warranty from a highly reputable company after taking delivery.
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 03:58 PM   #6
mfindigital
Registered
Rep

She was delivered last night, ended up getting a 3 year powertrain warranty. Already very in love with this car, it's everything I had hoped it would be. Feels so small when you are inside the vehicle. Excited about joining this community.
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #7
BimmerAg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
She was delivered last night, ended up getting a 3 year powertrain warranty. Already very in love with this car, it's everything I had hoped it would be. Feels so small when you are inside the vehicle. Excited about joining this community.
Welcome! And post some pics!!!

Love my 2011 with DCT by the way. I think my favorite part about the car is the exhaust pop on the upshift in manual mode. Makes me smile like an idiot every time