BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Safety first -> New Schroth Rallye 4 Installed

Installed this today, it keeps you in tight!

Front

Rear

I need to wipe down the back seats, that's just sweat from installing. It's hot down here in FL for this time of year, in the low 80s.
      01-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
That looks great. I bought the Quickfit for Audi. It attaches to the same bolts on the door side, but clips into the seat belt receptacles on the console side. I'm pretty excited about trying it. A few of the clubs have rules that won't allow your harness and definitely won't allow mine, but I don't know how much they enforce the rules. The two clubs I run with the most don't mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
That looks great. I bought the Quickfit for Audi. It attaches to the same bolts on the door side, but clips into the seat belt receptacles on the console side. I'm pretty excited about trying it. A few of the clubs have rules that won't allow your harness and definitely won't allow mine, but I don't know how much they enforce the rules. The two clubs I run with the most don't mind.
Most clubs I run with down here won't mind I don't think. On the contrary, it's more support, while I can see why some may frown upon them.

If anything it's easily detachable, but I like how snug I feel to the seat now.

I do wish though the right side waist belt went into the belt receptacle at least. Now I have to find some spare clip to stop the ding dong noise, or just use the regular belt on top of this, which I don't like.
      01-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Couldn't you just run the seat belt behind the seat or behind you?

Does it help you from sliding around? I'm always adjusting myself in the seat after each turn.

Definitely looks cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
Couldn't you just run the seat belt behind the seat or behind you?

Does it help you from sliding around? I'm always adjusting myself in the seat after each turn.

Definitely looks cool.
not sure about running the belt behind the seat. Running it behind me would be uncomfortable. This thing holds you in extremely snug, no track seat time yet with it, but as soon as I do (1/26), will report for sure. Though the little I rode around town, I can barely move in the seat, but was still comfortable.
      01-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #6
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
Most clubs I run with down here won't mind I don't think. On the contrary, it's more support, while I can see why some may frown upon them.

If anything it's easily detachable, but I like how snug I feel to the seat now.

I do wish though the right side waist belt went into the belt receptacle at least. Now I have to find some spare clip to stop the ding dong noise, or just use the regular belt on top of this, which I don't like.
I have this thing or something just like it to stop my passenger seat belt from annoying me about my laptop or groceries.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Elimina...0b1a4b&vxp=mtr

Last edited by GaryS; 01-11-2013 at 05:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

4 points are a bit scary because you don't want to submarine under the harness. Are those the Rallye 4 ASM harnesses?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I have this thing or something just like it to stop my passenger seat belt from annoying me about my laptop or groceries.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Elimina...0b1a4b&vxp=mtr
Thanks, that's what I was looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
4 points are a bit scary because you don't want to submarine under the harness. Are those the Rallye 4 ASM harnesses?
Yes they are ( http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...allye/rallye-4 )
      01-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
bavarianstig
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm selling a pair of them in the For Sale forum if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Tempted to get those from you Stig....would go well with the new seats installed.
      01-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Tempted to get those from you Stig....would go well with the new seats installed.
Well if you're interested let me know ASAP. 2-3 people have already PMed with interest. Might even consider a special Tarheel CCA discount
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Go ahead and get as much as you can for them buddy. I appreciate the offer, however, I think i'm going to try an event with the setup i have now before I go spending more money on the car. Plus I may have a small lead on something that'll let me get real harnesses.

Sorry to thread jack Yandy!
      01-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Go ahead and get as much as you can for them buddy. I appreciate the offer, however, I think i'm going to try an event with the setup i have now before I go spending more money on the car. Plus I may have a small lead on something that'll let me get real harnesses.

Sorry to thread jack Yandy!
      01-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #14
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

LMAO
      01-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
LMAO
+1
      01-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #16
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Did you get to try these at the track yet? Curios to know what you think.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Not yet, will be on 1/26.
      01-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Quote:
I used these before I got my half cage/6pt harnesses. Let me just say, Schroth's 4pts do wonders...

I have had instructors tell me how great the sports seats in the 135i are, especially with our side bolsters. However, after I got the Schroths in, I didn't realize how much I was moving about. These keep you FIRMLY strapped in the seat, offering two main advantages. First, you feel like you are one with the car. It is easier to feel the direction changes because your body isn't shifting like it used to. However, the most surprising advantage I felt was actually what I didn't feel...sore! You may not realize it, but in the stock 3pt belts you shift around a LOT. As a consequence, you end up unconsciously using the your arms and the steering wheel to support yourself. After using these belts, my arm fatigue went down drastically because I was no longer having to support myself mid corner (which also makes it easier to adjust the wheel, since you dont have all that weight pulling on it).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #19
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianstig View Post
I used these before I got my half cage/6pt harnesses. Let me just say, Schroth's 4pts do wonders...

I have had instructors tell me how great the sports seats in the 135i are, especially with our side bolsters. However, after I got the Schroths in, I didn't realize how much I was moving about. These keep you FIRMLY strapped in the seat, offering two main advantages. First, you feel like you are one with the car. It is easier to feel the direction changes because your body isn't shifting like it used to. However, the most surprising advantage I felt was actually what I didn't feel...sore! You may not realize it, but in the stock 3pt belts you shift around a LOT. As a consequence, you end up unconsciously using the your arms and the steering wheel to support yourself. After using these belts, my arm fatigue went down drastically because I was no longer having to support myself mid corner (which also makes it easier to adjust the wheel, since you dont have all that weight pulling on it).
That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. My left leg and arms get a workout from bracing myself in turns. The seats are great, but I'm always readjusting myself after each turn. I'm gonna pull the trigger on them then since I don't have to make any permanent changes to the car. Plus they look cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
Braap
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2013 135is

Isn't it not advisable to run harnesses without a cage due to the risk of being crushed in a rollover?

Or am I mistaken?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #21
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braap View Post
Isn't it not advisable to run harnesses without a cage due to the risk of being crushed in a rollover?

Or am I mistaken?
I know our club won't let you run a harness without a roll bar....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianstig View Post

^^^AGREED...my videos are funny as I squirmed around, trying to use the door and center console to keep readjusting my positioning...slidding around, arms sour. My 4-points did wonders for me at the 'ring and it'll take a serious accident to submarine under these belts if both seats and belts are properly tightened.

Mine were custom sewed so the right side clip is secured by the normal belt clip...no seat belt gongs