BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

BMW performance Y-pipe with stock muffler and golf tee

So I got the Y-pipe section of the performance exhaust from woodman650 and then bolted it up to the factory muffler with the golf tee mod done. HOLY SH!T! it is so much louder than stock now. I can't believe the difference just the Y-pipe made. I am probably going to try to find someone selling just the silencer part but even without it I am very impressed. The car should have come like this from the factory and BMW should offer just the Y-pipe.

I also see what you all with the PE mean about the Y-pipe installation pushing the tips out more, which it did to mine, though they are out to a very sporty extent and look pretty damn good so I can't complain- perhaps the PE tips would come out even further and not look as good, but that's something I'll have to worry about down the road.

Overall, great mod for the money!
      06-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
So I got the Y-pipe section of the performance exhaust from woodman650 and then bolted it up to the factory muffler with the golf tee mod done. HOLY SH!T! it is so much louder than stock now. I can't believe the difference just the Y-pipe made. I am probably going to try to find someone selling just the silencer part but even without it I am very impressed. The car should have come like this from the factory and BMW should offer just the Y-pipe.

I also see what you all with the PE mean about the Y-pipe installation pushing the tips out more, which it did to mine, though they are out to a very sporty extent and look pretty damn good so I can't complain- perhaps the PE tips would come out even further and not look as good, but that's something I'll have to worry about down the road.

Overall, great mod for the money!
if the Y pipes shifted your back box then you fitted it wrong, I fitted mine at the BMW dealer and he measured the distance of the Y pip so that it fits in the same place where the stock pipes are and he cut the stock pipes from there and it fitted directly in place of the stock one.

Here is a video I made that compared the stock vs performance

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272095
      06-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yea, we're talking minimal shifting, probably more so me thinking it shifted than it did, it looks great nonetheless, and nice video too
      06-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
yea, we're talking minimal shifting, probably more so me thinking it shifted than it did, it looks great nonetheless, and nice video too
post a vid!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Great job and I am glad you like the Y-Pipes mod which I am thinking doing it also but I would like to wait after my aFe exhaust installed first.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

here are the pics, I don't think it moved it out much at all comparing past pics I've taken
Attached Images

06-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
woodman650
Super Couper
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Glad you're liking it man Maybe I should have asked for more $$$ haha

The exhaust note was so beefy for me that it would set of my neighbor's Honda Civic alarm (though a cheap-o alarm)... they're also my landlord so, yeah... small sacrifice going back to the OEM resonator over here
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #8
Simonnn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread.. just curious if there is anyone out there who has also installed the BMW Performance Y pipe with the stock 135i exhaust?

I've currently got a y pipe sitting at home but trying to decide if its worth installing or not
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonnn
Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread.. just curious if there is anyone out there who has also installed the BMW Performance Y pipe with the stock 135i exhaust?

I've currently got a y pipe sitting at home but trying to decide if its worth installing or not
100% worth it... I got mine with the PE axel back so it's even better but just installing the y pipe with the stock axel back will make a world of a difference
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
J-Rod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS135 View Post
100% worth it... I got mine with the PE axel back so it's even better but just installing the y pipe with the stock axel back will make a world of a difference
What's your exhaust setup? DPs, Mids? I just installed the BMWP Axle Back but have the Y-Pipe at home. I'm thinking as soon as I get DPs, do the Y-Pipe too. And maybe later on if I still want more sound n55 mids.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Right now I got stock dp, stock n54 mids (with resonator removed), y pipe and PE axel back. And it sounds amazing.

The only other upgrade id do is dps. I personally would not spend more money to get n55 mids (and be fully turbo back). I don't think they would add much value for the money, not to mention you would have to cut the resonator again and they will be worthless.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
J-Rod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right now I got stock dp, stock n54 mids (with resonator removed), y pipe and PE axel back. And it sounds amazing.

The only other upgrade id do is dps. I personally would not spend more money to get n55 mids (and be fully turbo back). I don't think they would add much value for the money, not to mention you would have to cut the resonator again and they will be worthless.
Thanks! I'll probably keep the stock mids and do dps and y pipe then. Should sound plenty aggressive without sounding like a track only car, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think with dps, y pipe and PE... It will be really loud. Which I like. It's pretty much your track ready 135i... There is nothing else you can do on the exhaust end.
If you want something less aggrieved just do the y pipe and pe and are how you like it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
J-Rod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think with dps, y pipe and PE... It will be really loud. Which I like. It's pretty much your track ready 135i... There is nothing else you can do on the exhaust end.
If you want something less aggrieved just do the y pipe and pe and are how you like it.
Tks!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
neglectedX5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i/90 325i/02 M5/12 X5

I would like a Y-pipe. Does anybody have a source beside the PE? Im running a Berk axle back now.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
jose9094
Enlisted Member
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 DCT 2012

We need a vid with stock exhaust and Y pipe!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #17
Simonnn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose9094 View Post
We need a vid with stock exhaust and Y pipe!!!
I ended up selling my Y pipe unfortunately, so will never know what that combination sounds like!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #18
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Thanks! I'll probably keep the stock mids and do dps and y pipe then. Should sound plenty aggressive without sounding like a track only car, right?
Quote:
I have catless 3" DP's, 2.5" high flow catted mids (HJS cats), y-pipe and PE. It is pretty loud but oddly quieter/less raspy/more refined than it was with stock DP's, N55 mids, BMW PE with y-pipe.

For the lack of my personal laptop right now, I have a video up on Instagram of static revs: jasonstephens1.

I'll upload to YouTube soon as I keep meaing to put it in the Exhaust Clip thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #19
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
I have catless 3" DP's, 2.5" high flow catted mids (HJS cats), y-pipe and PE. It is pretty loud but oddly quieter/less raspy/more refined than it was with stock DP's, N55 mids, BMW PE with y-pipe.

For the lack of my personal laptop right now, I have a video up on Instagram of static revs: jasonstephens1.

I'll upload to YouTube soon as I keep meaing to put it in the Exhaust Clip thread.
So are you saying you tried the N55 mids/y-pipe and PE and found it to be more raspy than the N54 mids/ypipe and PE? I am going back and forth with myself trying to decide if I should just buy an N55 mid and attach the Ypipe to it or just cut up my stock one and be happy with it. I cant decide!!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #20
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

I never tried the PE with y-pipe and N54 mids for the very reason that I didn't want to cut up my N54 mids. I went straight for the N55 mids, cut off the resonator an I was happy but it was REALLY raspy when cold started and still fairly so under load and in high revs.

Right now I only have two high flow cats and one silencer (the PE) and it sounds a lot better so, from that I can deduce that the high flow cats do a better job of refining the exhaust note that the stock ones in the stock DP's.

Personally I'd for right for the N55 mids, prepare yourself for a few thousand miles of raw cold start rasp but everywhere else it sounds fantastic; it does after a while tame down in terms of rasp. If you are planning on going FBO and you want every inch of performance that you can get then I'd say save up and buy a full DP-back system instead with proper mandrel bends and larger piping. If I'd skipped the N55 mid-pipe step then I'd have saved some cash on the road to FBO.

By the way, the reason I chose not to use the N55 mids with catless DP's is because it was so raw with just the stock DP's; I can't imagine what it would have sounded like fully catless. We have strict emissions tests here in the UK so I needed some sort of control on it but if that's not your concern then Berk type mids will do you fine.

The PE rear muffler has to be one of the least baffled out there. Put my setup next to a Berk or Milltek and it still sound more racey than either as their rear mufflers are better sound packed.

IMO the best sounding OTS exhaust has to be Maddad (Whisper) with catless DP's. I might even consider changing my PE muffler for that as it sounds one of the most exotic.

Last edited by Cozy; 10-24-2013 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #21
J-Rod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy View Post

Nice! Thats the sound im hoping for!