BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #23
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiuM View Post
My experience with this specific SSK so far is that it is too pricey in Australia so I am currently going without. Anyone seen a good price elsewhere? Like evolution42, I dont need/want the knob or boot
That's the problem with playing in both the BMW and Skyline worlds! The level of competition in the GTR aftermarket and the mature R&D pathways have resulted in a nice pricing state. On the other hand every BMW aftermarket part must feel like rape!

Still an R33 GTR is an old car with much outdated styling now, and everyone has one. That's probably why you've moved to a 135? Unfortunately now you see the undesirable pricing.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #24
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
That's the problem with playing in both the BMW and Skyline worlds! The level of competition in the GTR aftermarket and the mature R&D pathways have resulted in a nice pricing state. On the other hand every BMW aftermarket part must feel like rape!

Still an R33 GTR is an old car with much outdated styling now, and everyone has one. That's probably why you've moved to a 135? Unfortunately now you see the undesirable pricing.
Still playing in both worlds, the GTR is a completely different beast to the 135 being 4wd which is both fun and boring as all hell at times. But new prices are about the same, some of the things you get from the brand names in japan are a joke but being an older car now and the yankee's getting into their drifting and real imports (read this as not honda's) you are starting to see other manufacturers building the same quality product but much cheaper. The bmw parts seem to be doing the same thing though, slowly.

The move to the 135i was pretty much because I wanted a nice, quick, comfortable and moddable (after warranty) road going car and not be pestered by the po po. The gtr with it's pretty much straight through exhaust and some lumpy cams can be heard from miles away and is an instant cop/bogan/anything magnet. Not exactly a street car.

The SSK I had was for my R32 gts-t though, it was very nice and was about $500 back in 2001ish.. now they are $69 for a no name brand, WTF - http://www.ozsome.com.au/html/short-...t7.html#store7
      07-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #25
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiuM View Post
Still playing in both worlds, the GTR is a completely different beast to the 135 being 4wd which is both fun and boring as all hell at times. But new prices are about the same, some of the things you get from the brand names in japan are a joke but being an older car now and the yankee's getting into their drifting and real imports (read this as not honda's) you are starting to see other manufacturers building the same quality product but much cheaper. The bmw parts seem to be doing the same thing though, slowly.

The move to the 135i was pretty much because I wanted a nice, quick, comfortable and moddable (after warranty) road going car and not be pestered by the po po. The gtr with it's pretty much straight through exhaust and some lumpy cams can be heard from miles away and is an instant cop/bogan/anything magnet. Not exactly a street car.

The SSK I had was for my R32 gts-t though, it was very nice and was about $500 back in 2001ish.. now they are $69 for a no name brand, WTF - http://www.ozsome.com.au/html/short-...t7.html#store7
SSK is easily available from US vendors and sites (try Tischer) for about $200 + shipping without knob or boot.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 05:23 AM   #26
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
It's one of those BMW jokes, like not having to change the oil in N54s until 25,000km.
Hmm... think i might have to give southern bm a call. i've just knocked over 40,000 kms... are there any other oils i should be thinking about changing at the same time? (i've managed to change my engine oil relatively frequently)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #27
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
Hmm... think i might have to give southern bm a call. i've just knocked over 40,000 kms... are there any other oils i should be thinking about changing at the same time? (i've managed to change my engine oil relatively frequently)
Your power steering and brake/clutch fluids should have been changed once or twice by the dealer by now, but not the diff oil. Probably not as urgent as gearbox oil but worth changing. I'd speak to Andrew though, I'm certainly no mechanic...