BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

If you get the 1M some company or trade it in, then...

...what might be your choice ?

We don't know the future and for sure car makers will continue to release nice goodies from time to time. Alike the 1M story: a couple of years ago none us expected it to be just around the corner and currently sitting inside our garages.

To me - rebus sic stantibus - the 1M is a keeper. No plans for a trade-in on the horizon.

Anyways, apart from the obvious choice of another ///M car or an ///M Performance car as sparring partner/weekender or trade-in for the 1M, maybe a Merc AMG A45, Audi RS3 or the $45K 2014 Alfa Romeo 4C puppy for some weekend fun might feature on top of that list ?

Name:  AlfaRomeo_4C_Concept.jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  73.1 KB
Name:  AlfaRomeo_4C_Concept_2.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  85.1 KB
(http://www.insideline.com/alfa-romeo...s-in-2013.html - http://www.insideline.com/alfa-romeo...s-in-2013.html)
("The car goes on sale in 2013 to lead the brand's much-delayed return to the U.S." and "Plans are to build just 20,000 coupes and 10,000 Spiders worldwide, meaning that demand is quite likely to outpace supply". Hm, sounds familiar.
      11-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Undoubtably the M2

Alfa ? Nah been there (twice) no thanks
Audi RS3 not for me
Merc?? mmm tempting
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think every car lover should own at least one Alfa in your lifetime. That was you can tell you friends some wonderful car breakdown stories!!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think every car lover should own at least one Alfa in your lifetime. That was you can tell you friends some wonderful car breakdown stories!!
Yeah exactly David
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

I'm an Alfisti from way back.
I've also dated a stripper or five.

I've always said that driving an Italian car is like dating a stripper. The 10% of the time when things are going well...they are REALLY going well.

Of course 90% of the time it's nothing but drama, maintenance, and the constant state of fear about the next blow-up.

With time, and enough late-night calls for bail money, I eventually took the Dalai Lama's advice about not losing the lesson and gave up the stripper habit.

Unfortunately, I persisted with my beloved GTV6 even though the electrical system was more neurotic than one of my exes off her meds. Even a backfire on startup that blew the plenum cover off and scorched the hood didn't deter me from throwing more money at the thing with the liberal foolhardiness of a blue-state legislator, hoping the inherently schizophrenic Italian engineering, combined with spit and bailing wire, would keep the thing on the road.

And every damn time that I was at my wits end, the thing would burble to me through its Ansa exhaust and give me a lustrous ride in the saddle that kept me coming back for more punishment.

At the egging of my first gainfully employed and college-educated girlfriend, I moved from Alfas to BMWs. The reliability and fun factor was still there but happily without the constant automotive uncertainties I'd grown used to.

Fast forward over 14 years through 4 Bimmers and 2 Minis to the 1M which is about as perfect of a car that I have ever driven.

The funny thing is that I still find myself combing the Alfa section of eBay looking at Duettos or GTV6s, after all this time. I think all car-guys are like that. Or maybe it's just human nature in general--we crave exactly the things that are worst for us.

To wit, I am aware of Alfa's agonizingly slow return to the US. I am also aware of the 4C and am at the rack with my dollar bils. However, I'm going to play this one smart. You see, I have a couple of perfectly hot German babes in my repertoire. Both are sexy and fast as hell, and the silver one runs around topless most of the summer.

I think I will always be true to them...

But a playah gotta play. I got eyes, you know.

*apologies for the wordiness, thin metaphors, and ego-driven tripe, but is what one does after a few martinis mid-week with a holiday Thursdsay upcoming*
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post

I've always said that driving an Italian car is like dating a stripper. The 10% of the time when things are going well...they are REALLY going well.

Of course 90% of the time it's nothing but drama, maintenance, and the constant state of fear about the next blow-up.

With time, and enough late-night calls for bail money, I eventually took the Dalai Lama's advice about not losing the lesson and gave up the stripper habit.

And every damn time that I was at my wits end, the thing would burble to me through its Ansa exhaust and give me a lustrous ride in the saddle that kept me coming back for more punishment.

At the egging of my first gainfully employed and college-educated girlfriend, I moved from Alfas to BMWs.

Or maybe it's just human nature in general--we crave exactly the things that are worst for us.

You see, I have a couple of perfectly hot German babes in my repertoire. Both are sexy and fast as hell, and the silver one runs around topless most of the summer.

*apologies for the wordiness, thin metaphors, and ego-driven tripe, but is what one does after a few martinis mid-week with a holiday Thursdsay upcoming*
Well played sir. Well played indeed.

But who says strippers are not gainfully employed?

On a serious note, barring some unforseen circumstance, the 1M will stay. I'm going to keep my eyes on the following as companions in a few years:

1. 981 Cayman - It's the next gen Cayman. The topless version has already shown it's better than the predecessor in every way. This may be the 911 for those of us who adored the 911 in the 80's before it became the size of a small VW van.

2. ATS - V - It will certainly be the cheapest of the Q cars. The V division does some good work.

3. A used E90 M3 - Because S65 and 8900 RPM + 4 Doors

4. One of the new iCars or a 335d (if offered w/ a 6-speed manual)
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
I'm going to get either the m2, m4 or supercharge an e92 m3.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

I'm shopping for a '69 Porsche 912 at the moment. I'll keep this car closer to stock, but I have a feeling it's perhaps still the most under-rated Porsche of all time.

A new Porsche 961 may be on the list when it comes out- waiting to see what they come up with. If it's not my cup of tea I might try to pic up a GT3 RS 4.0 if that's practical...
      11-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Probably be trading it in for the new M6 GC ..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

That Alfa is interesting and I just influenced the significant other to a boxster, and it's awesome. This remake is superb, I can't imagine the s because its a joy to drive in non s form. So I think a cayman s is going to be test driven when available.
      11-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

Im currently building a 1 series with a hodge podge of M// parts to use as a 1M style track car...
Once its finished i plan to sell my current 1M and buy a 997ttrs,,,

Last edited by octainejunkee; 11-27-2012 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #12
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
1. 981 Cayman - It's the next gen Cayman. The topless version has already shown it's better than the predecessor in every way.
If by "topless version" you mean the Boxster, then it's already available.

But absolutely, the new Cayman is going to be amazing. Here's hoping for an R version.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
If by "topless version" you mean the Boxster, then it's already available.

But absolutely, the new Cayman is going to be amazing. Here's hoping for an R version.
I am aware; hence the statement "The topless version has already shown it's better than the predecessor in every way.

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Blue View Post
Probably be trading it in for the new M6 GC ..

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Well played sir. Well played indeed.

...........3. A used E90 M3 - Because S65 and 8900 RPM + 4 Doors.........
      11-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #16
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
I'm an Alfisti from way back.
I've also dated a stripper or five.

Unfortunately, I persisted with my beloved GTV6 even though the electrical system was more neurotic than one of my exes off her meds. Even a backfire on startup that blew the plenum cover off and scorched the hood didn't deter me from throwing more money at the thing with the liberal foolhardiness of a blue-state legislator, hoping the inherently schizophrenic Italian engineering, combined with spit and bailing wire, would keep the thing on the road.

At the egging of my first gainfully employed and college-educated girlfriend, I moved from Alfas to BMWs. The reliability and fun factor was still there but happily without the constant automotive uncertainties I'd grown used to.

Fast forward over 14 years through 4 Bimmers and 2 Minis to the 1M which is about as perfect of a car that I have ever driven.

The funny thing is that I still find myself combing the Alfa section of eBay looking at Duettos or GTV6s, after all this time. I think all car-guys are like that. Or maybe it's just human nature in general--we crave exactly the things that are worst for us.

To wit, I am aware of Alfa's agonizingly slow return to the US. I am also aware of the 4C and am at the rack with my dollar bils. However, I'm going to play this one smart. You see, I have a couple of perfectly hot German babes in my repertoire. Both are sexy and fast as hell, and the silver one runs around topless most of the summer.

Thanks for that. Great read
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #17
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

As Clarkson says, you're not a real gear head until you have owned at least one Alfa. .
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I do love the look of that Alfa 4C. The Alfa I'll someday own will be a late 60's or early 70's GTV though. I've admired that particular car for many years.
      12-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

The Boss has spoken. Case closed.

Name:  TheBossHasSpoken.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  69.3 KB
      12-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #20
Ayrton91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW X5 3.5d

If this ever becomes a reality, then it would probably be what I'd like to keep the 1M company (not planning to ever sell the 1M)

Appreciate 0