BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

DIY: Register and Code a New Battery (comprehensive guide)

Please like and share if this guide helps you out! Why pay a dealer or an indie $70-200+ to register your new battery? Continue reading if you’d like to know why it’s important and how you can get it done yourself!

Q: I have an older E90, does this apply to me?
A: This guide only applies to vehicles equipped with IBS (intelligent battery sensor). Registration and coding will not be successful on older vehicles that are equipped with basic power management systems.

Q: I replaced my battery and it works just fine, why all the fuss?
A: Disregarding the need to register and code for a new battery may result in improper charging. Over time, improper charging may have detrimental effects on the lifespan of your cars battery and the operation of the vehicles electronics.

Q: Why do I need to register a new battery?
A: The short answer is that BMW designed the charging system with an algorithm that varies the rate of charge by the age and type of the battery installed. Registering a new battery resets the algorithm back to optimal charging voltage for the specified battery.

The long answer: "The negative battery cable has an electronic control unit on the battery end of it called an intelligent battery sensor (IBS). The IBS measures the state of battery charge and sends this information to the ECU. The ECU uses this information to control how much charging voltage is needed from the alternator to support vehicle electricity needs. A battery deteriorates normally over time and depending upon service demands and driving profile. The IBS reads this and the ECU tells the charging system to increase voltage and amperage output incrementally as the battery matures. Therefore, at battery replacement time, if you don't tell the ECU it has a new battery it will overcharge the new battery causing it to wear out faster.

The registration process takes place in the ECU, which is the main player in this system. Also, when the IBS sees that battery voltage is too low for normal vehicle operation it can start shutting down vehicle functions to conserve power while keeping the vehicle operational. This would be accompanied by a check control warning of excessive battery discharge.”

Q: Why do I need to "code" for a new battery?
A: The answer to this varies. You may not have to! That is, so long as you replace your old battery with an exact replacement. However, if you switch from a wet-cell type battery to an AGM type battery, or vice versa, you must code for the change.

AGM and wet-cell batteries require a different rate of charge output from the alternator. Moving between these two types without coding can lead to over-charging or under-charging.
Also, batteries have a discharge rating called amp hours (ah). You must specify to the DME what the “ah” rating of your battery is so the car can run the proper charging algorithm.

Q: I bought a lightweight battery, but the “ah” rating for my new battery is less than the lowest setting available in the CAS/NFRM module. Is this ok?
A: While not ideal, you can certainly use your new battery. Code your car for the setting that best matches your new battery. Most important is ensuring you’ve changed the settings from wet-cell to AGM type, if necessary. Consequently, you may negatively impact the life expectancy of the new battery by coding say an 80ah AGM charging map when your lightweight battery has a discharge capacity of only 18ah…

Personally, I am running a Deka/East Penn Sports Power ETX-30L Battery ($103.99). I used XS Power 586 Tall Brass Post Adaptors (M6 Thread). The Deka ETX-30L is rated 400CCA @ 28.6Ah(20HR) and is a 21lb AGM type battery. EDIT: I now run a PC925. Both these batteries crank the car strong, but I would not recommend ever using anything weaker!

My 2011 E82 did not have a charging map listed in the CAS module for anything less than 80ah AGM. Therefore, this is what I chose when I coded my car (initially). There are people that have reported seeing options in the CAS module for as low as 40ah AGM. I believe updating to a newer CAS ZB software may provide more options. Or, maybe the additional options are only available in the CAS module for higher end models like 335is E92’s? I can only speculate as to why some people have more settings available than others.

I ended up using Carly to code my battery again. Even though the lowest setting I found in the CAS module was 80ah AGM, Carly provided a 36ah AGM option. After using Carly to code my new battery, INPA does indeed confirm (see appendix D) the charging system is using a 36ah AGM charging map, or at least INPA recognizes that’s what Carly set it to.

Q:
What are BMWtools and where can I get them?
A: You can follow this guide: https://spool [DELETE THIS] street.com/forums/resources/bmw-coding-guide-setup.13/ This will provide you with a fully loaded virtual machine that can accomplish programming and diagnosing almost any issue with your car. Give credit where credit is do! See Appendix C for a brief overview of various BMW software.

Q:
What cable do I need to connect to use BMWtools on my laptop/device?
A: I use a generic OBDII to USB (K+DCAN) cable I got off amazon, and it works fine ($23): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

You can combine the cable with an OTG adapter to use with portable devices. This will allow you to use apps such as Carly, Torque, Trackaddict, and Harry’s lap timer to name a few.

Q: Can I use Bluetooth?
A: I bought a generic ELM327 OBDII to Bluetooth adapter for use with apps like Carly, Torque, Trackaddict, and Harry’s lap time to name a few, and it works fine ($10.99): https://www.amazon.com/NorSway-Wirel...ds=elm+adapter.

Q:
I installed a battery with exact replacement specs (e.g. 80ah wet cell with 80ah wet cell). How can I register my new battery?
A: There are several methods that can be used to register a new battery. See options 1, 2, and 3 below:

Q:
I installed a battery of a different type and/or capacity (e.g. 80ah wet-cell with a 90ah wet-cell, or, 90ah wet-cell with a 40ah AGM). How can I code for the changes I made to the battery?
A: There are several methods that can be used to code for battery changes. See options 1, 2, 4, and 5, below:

Option 1:

Overview:

Carly is an Android/iOS app that can be used to painlessly register and code a new battery. Just purchase the app, and the in-app purchase for the battery module, and it walks you through the process.

Steps:
1) Download the Carly app on your device ($44.99 + $9.99 for battery module): http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/
2) Verify your OBDII to USB cable is working properly or that your OBDII to Bluetooth adapter is properly paired to your device and communicating with Carly.
3) Purchase the in-app battery module. From here, Carly walks you through the steps of both registering the battery and coding for any changes. It’s that simple.

Option 2:

Overview
:
Use Rheingold (ISTA-D) to REGISTER and/or CODE a new battery. The virtual machine, mentioned above, comes pre-loaded with this dealer level software. An ICOM emulator is all setup for you to use this program with the aforementioned K+DCAN cable.
  • Rheingold is an amazing tool. It will automatically diagnose issues with your vehicle and provide a corrective action plan to fix them. It will even tell you the steps you need to take to re-program things with a separate program called ISTA-P.

Steps:

1) Turn ignition to the “on” position. INPA can be used to verify the car is communicating properly. INPA shows when the ignition is in the on/off position.
2) Load Rheingold
3) Click the “Identification” tab
4) Click “Read out” tab and then “start” in the bottom right (takes a long time to gather cars info)
5) Once vehicle info has loaded (verify your vin is accurately displaying) click the “Vehicle management” tab
6) Navigate to: Service function>body>voltage supply>battery>register and then click “start search”
7) Select result “ABL register battery replacement ”
8) Rheingold then walks you through your options! You can simply register a new like-for-like battery, or you can change the battery capacity. Rheingold will prompt you to perform coding using ISTA-P!

Option 3:

Overview:

Use Ediabas Toolset32, a software packaged with the BMWtools suite, to REGISTER a new battery

Steps:
1) Run Tool32.exe
2) Navigate: File>Load SGB>C:/EDIABAS/ECU/[choose the appropriate .prg file for your DME – see appendix A]
3) Look up steuern_batterietausch_registri (near bottom of job list)
4) Go to Jobs menu
5) Select Run Job (German: Job Einmal Ausfuhren [run job once])
6) Verify operation reports “Okay”

Option 4:

Overview:

This method is a bit incomplete in regard to coding. It uses NCSexpert to edit the settings in the CAS and NFRM modules. Essentially, you are manually changing the settings in the CAS/NFRM module to reflect the new battery.

*****While this method seems like a straightforward way to code for battery changes, it fails to address the issue of vehicle order (VO). This could have implications for future coding and ZB updates. See option 5.

*****After completing this coding, you must still perform "Option 3" to register the new battery using Tool32. Or, you can use ISTA-D to do the registering, but then you might as well also use ISTA to do the programming at that point...

Steps:

1) Load NCSExper.exe
2) Select a profile that has manipulation enabled: File>load profile> “CNCcoding”
3) Select: F1>F3>select your chassis>select “CAS
4) Press F6 for back
5) Press F4 to select a specific module “Process ecu” then you get a list of all modules available for your car
6) Select “CAS” then select “READ ECU” this is going to read all the values from the specific module and create an FSW_PSW.TRC file with the values
8) Leave NCSExper.exe open and navigate to the “work” folder ([X]:\NCSEXPER_64\WORK)

The FSW_PSW.TRC file we generated when we “read” the CAS module is where we are going to change the battery settings. After making our changes, we will then change the file extension to the file type NCS uses to write to the selected module (.MAN).

At this point, you can also use a program called NCSDummy to make things easier. You can use NCSDummy to import the .TRC file. NCSDummy will provide translations and descriptions for all the settings in the CAS module. I will not cover the details on how to use NCSDummy, it is very easy if you search. The following steps continue with how you can just simply edit the .TRC file in notepad to achieve our goal of coding a new battery:

9) Open the generated FSW_PSW.TRC file with notepad
10) Select: File>save as>FSW_PSW.MAN (be sure to select “save as type” to all files so that it will accept the “.MAN” extension. If you fail to do so it will just save it as a text file .TXT)
11) Search for the option “KLASSE_BATTERIE” and change the value from its current setting to a setting that most closely matches the rating of your new battery (e.g. “90ah” to “70ah” or if using an AGM battery “70ah_agm”) (see Appendix E)
12) Select: File >Save
13) Back to NCS now hit F5 for basic functions
14) Select “coapiReadSgGetFswPsw” and then “ok.” You are basically telling NCS to read all the values from your .MAN file. You will see a screen… just press ok. Then press ok again.

Ok now take a look where it says “JOBNAME = CODIERDATEN_LESEN” We need to change that to a coding function because we want to write the changes to the module, not READ as we did earlier.

15) Select F2 “job”
16) Select SG_CODIEREN and press ok
17) Then press F3 to execute the job. After a pause you will see the “coding ended” message!

I am not sure if these steps are 100% what you’ll see. It’s been a while since I coded my battery, but I’ll update the steps as needed.

The battery rating should now be updated in the system. You can verify the coding was successful by performing the steps outlined in Appendix D.

Option 5:

Overview:

This is the proper method to manually code for changes to the battery. Your vehicle order (VO) stores all the information regarding the various hardware your car came with from the factory. For example, if your car came with a wet-cell 70ah battery, your VO will read out with attribute -B070 (see Appendix B). Now, lets say you used option 4, above, to manually change the CAS module to reflect a new 70ah AGM battery. Your VO will still reflect the old battery of –B070 whereas you want your VO to actually reflect the currently installed battery which would be -A070 (see Appendix B).!

If you go to the dealer, their software (Rheingold/ISTA-D and ISTA-P) will read your VO and recommend diagnostic/programming changes as if you still have that old battery installed. Basically, their software would overwrite the changes you made in option 4 and set all the coding back to the settings that reflect the old battery! There are two ECU's that store the vehicles VO: CAS and NFRM/FRM.

Steps: Changing VO & default ecu settings
1. Open NCSEXPER.exe
2. Select: File > Load profile > Select a profile that has manipulation enabled (profile name will vary or you may have to create one-- google this) > Click OK
3. Press F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
4. Press F3 (CS/FA f. EC) > Select E89 (chassis family for E9x and E8x vehicles) > Click OK > Select CAS > Click OK
5. Press F6 (Back)
6. Press F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
7. Press F2 (Enter FA) > Select E89 > Click OK
8. A window labeled “Enter VIN” appears > verify vin number is correct > Click OK
9. A window labeled Enter FA appears > scroll to find VO for old battery (e.g. -B090) > highlight –B090 and press delete on keyboard
10. Enter the new battery type –A080 (per Appendix B) in the “Attribute” box > Click Add > Click OK
11. Press F6 (Back)
12. Press F4 (Process ECU) > Select CAS > Click OK
13. Press F2 (Change Job) > Select FA Write > Click OK
14. Press F3 (Execute Job)
15. Verify that the write is complete “Job Ended”
16. Press F1 (Change ECU) > Select FRM/NFRM > Click OK
17. Verify lines: get coded, FRM, JOBNAME = FA_Write
18. Press F3 (Execute Job)
19. Verify that the write is complete “Job Ended”

The CAS and NFRM/FRM modules have now been updated with the new VO data and will now always default back to the new attributes you assigned to the VO!

It is important to now use NCSExpert to code the car based on the new VO settings. If you properly changed the VO, NCSExpert will automatically write the battery capacity and type settings to the various modules. This is what we did manually in option #4! This will also over-write any custom stuff you've done to the car (some cars let you make some changes via the indicator stalk), like, auto fold down windows, etc. You may have to re-code these features after resetting modules to factory.

20. NCSEXPERT should still be open
21. Press F4 (Process ECU) > Select CAS > Click OK
22. Press F2 (Change Job) > Select CODIERDATEN_LESEN (read ecu) > Click OK
23. Press F3 (Execute Job)
24. Verify “Job Ended”
25. Leave NCSExper.exe open and navigate to the “work” folder where the ecu trace file was saved to ([X]:\NCSEXPER_64\WORK)
26. Open the generated FSW_PSW.TRC file with notepad
27. Select: File>save as>FSW_PSW.MAN (be sure to select “save as type” to all files so that it will accept the “.MAN” extension. If you fail to do so it will just save it as a text file .TXT)
28. CLEAR THE FILE (CTRL + A > back*******
29. Select: File >Save
30. Go back to NCS Expert > Press F2 (Change Job) > Select SG_codieren (Write ecu) > Click OK
31. Press F3 (Execute Job)
32. Repeat steps 21 through 31 for the NFRM/FRM module. The CAS And NFRM are now defaulted back to the newly assigned $VO attributes (battery will be coded to new VO setting).

Appendix A:

MSV70,MSV 70.0 for N52 (NG6),
MSV80,MSV 80.0 for N52KP (NG6),
MSD80,MSD 80.0 for N43 N53 & N54 with EWS4/CAS,
Mevd172KW, Mevd 172 for N55 (Older N55’s up to late 2011 production)
Mevd176k, Mevd 176k for N55 (late 2011 production date or newer)
MSS60,MSS60 for S65 (M3),

Appendix B:

"B" represents wet-cell (lead acid), while "A" represents AGM (glass mat) in the VO.
E B046 BATT_46AH //46 Ah-Batterie
E B055 BATT_55AH //55 Ah-Batterie
E B070 BATT_70AH //70 Ah-Batterie
E B080 BATT_80AH //80 Ah-Batterie
E B090 BATT_90AH //90 Ah-Batterie
E A070 BATT_AGM_70AH //70 Ah-AGM Batterie
E A080 BATT_AGM_80AH //80 Ah-AGM Batterie
E A090 BATT_AGM_90AH //90 Ah-AGM Batterie

Appendix C:
  • ISTA/D (aka Rheingold) is the current dealership diagnostic software for all Exx and Fxx cars.
    • ISTA/D is the replacement for older dealership "DIS" diagnostic software.
  • ISTA/P is the current dealership programming software for all Exx and Fxx cars.
    • ISTA/P is the replacement for the older dealership programming software “SSS.”
  • ISTA/P & ISTA/D are designed to be used with an ICOM Interface, and with full ICOM-A-B-C, you can connect to older cars. The ICOM "C" Connection is for the older BMW ADS 20-pin round "Pacman" connector in the Engine Bay. You can find versions of ISTA/D with an ICOM Emulator built-in that allows you to use it with an ENET Interface for Fxx cars and a DCAN Interface for Exx cars.
  • INPA (interpreter for test procedures) is an older factory floor diagnostic software, designed to run test procedures. While INPA can be set to an English User Interface, most of the Test Procedures (scripts), which can be difficult to find, are in German.
  • WinKFP is for flashing/reprogramming modules
  • NCSexpert is for coding, it can be used to set up options and enable things
  • Tool32 is like a DOS cmd box for the modules, it's text based and can it's able to ask the ECUs various questions and show the answers (like status, programming data etc)

Appendix D:

Verify changes:

To see the current rate your battery is charging at, open the INPA program>> E90>>ENGINE>>MSD80>> Status(F5)>>PM-IBS>>PM FIELD 2 . Under the PM Field option look at the ah reading registered, to see what it's set at to charge your battery at present. If it's incorrect, you need to re-try the options outlined above. Once you have done this, re-register your battery using the Tool32 program. Then go back into INPA and check the PM Field 2 again to see if the new ah reading has been registered.

Appendix E:

KLASSE_BATTERIE BATTERY TYPE
wert_00 value 00
80ah 80 ampere-hours
90ah 90 ampere-hours
110ah 110 ampere-hours
70ah 70 ampere-hours
55ah 55 ampere-hours
46ah 46 ampere-hours
70ah_agm 70 ampere-hours (agm)
90ah_agm 90 ampere-hours (agm)
60ah_agm 60 ampere-hours (agm)
80ah_agm 80 ampere-hours (agm)

Last edited by bNks334; 10-17-2019 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 9
      12-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Very comprehensive DIY... Good job.
      12-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
If you use the Carly app to register the battery, do you still have to update the VO with NCSExpert, or does Carly update the VO automatically?
      12-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
If you use the Carly app to register the battery, do you still have to update the VO with NCSExpert, or does Carly update the VO automatically?
Good question. I'll load up Winkfp this weekend and check what battery is coded to my VO.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #5
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

This is simply an awesome post. Thanks! Bookmarked for sure. Wish I'd seen it yesterday as I had to code a new battery with NCSExpert; probably one of the most arcane and counterintuitive pieces of software I've ever used.

I'm a little confused about Rheingold and ISTA/P though. Does ISTA/P come with Rheingold, or do I need to install it separately? Does it have a name?

I have Rheingold installed, but had read that it could only register a new battery, not change the type (I switched to AGM). Guess I need ISTA/P for that? Does it do pretty much the same thing as NCSExpert? Any further info about these newer programs? It's kind of hard to come by

Thanks again for the great post!

ianc
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 08:09 AM   #6
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
This is simply an awesome post. Thanks! Bookmarked for sure. Wish I'd seen it yesterday as I had to code a new battery with NCSExpert; probably one of the most arcane and counterintuitive pieces of software I've ever used.

I'm a little confused about Rheingold and ISTA/P though. Does ISTA/P come with Rheingold, or do I need to install it separately? Does it have a name?

I have Rheingold installed, but had read that it could only register a new battery, not change the type (I switched to AGM). Guess I need ISTA/P for that? Does it do pretty much the same thing as NCSExpert? Any further info about these newer programs? It's kind of hard to come by

Thanks again for the great post!

ianc
Rheingold (ISTA/D) can do the registration. ISTA/P does the programming leg. Programming is only performed when a module recommends it as part of the troubleshooting process. They are two separate programs, but obviously they are used together. ISTA/D only requires 50gb of HD space, which is not enough to house the DATEN files needed to carry out programming tasks. ISTA/P requires another 120gb of HD space, which makes more sense for the size of the DATEN(80gb).

Yes, these dealer level programs update your VO and then update all the cars modules to reflect the new VO. You wont have to touch WINKFP to modify your VO or NCSExpert to code the battery if you use ISTA.

More info:
http://www.rheingoldusa.com/conc/index.php/features
http://codingf10.com/bmw-diagnostic-software/

You can contact @nate16 for more info on setting up Rheingold/Ista-p. He compiled the tools into a virtual machine that he updates over on E90 post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...irtual+machine

Last edited by bNks334; 12-30-2016 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for this massively helpful post...I didn't realize that I could use NCSExpert to register the battery. I had just bought the Carly wifi dongle for $70+, and was about to pay the $45 for the app when I realized it would cost another $10 to enable the battery registration functionality. For some reason, that $10 was a bridge too far for me, and I decisded to return the wifi dongle for a full refund and just do the thing with NCSExpert.

It may be "arcane and counterintuitive" (no argument from me there), but I already own it and am comfortable using it, having done all my other coding that way. Pluse, I've been meaning to break out the laptop and code out my eLSD anyway...
      12-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #8
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this massively helpful post...I didn't realize that I could use NCSExpert to register the battery. I had just bought the Carly wifi dongle for $70+, and was about to pay the $45 for the app when I realized it would cost another $10 to enable the battery registration functionality. For some reason, that $10 was a bridge too far for me, and I decisded to return the wifi dongle for a full refund and just do the thing with NCSExpert.

It may be "arcane and counterintuitive" (no argument from me there), but I already own it and am comfortable using it, having done all my other coding that way. Pluse, I've been meaning to break out the laptop and code out my eLSD anyway...
Just to clarify, NCSExpert can't register the battery. NCSExpert/Dummy are just used to make the coding changes to the NFRM/CAS modules.

You need to use Tool32 or ISTA to register a new battery when NCSExpert is used to manually do the coding (this is outlined in "option 3").

I'll update "option 4" to point people back to "option 3" for how to do the registering.

I know someone who paid $100 for and "official" Bluetooth adapter and it wouldn't even connect to his car LOL. My $10 adapter worked fine.

Last edited by bNks334; 12-30-2016 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 08:02 PM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
Just to clarify, NCSExpert can't register the battery. NCSExpert/Dummy are just used to make the coding changes to the NFRM/CAS modules.

You need to use Tool32 or ISTA to register a new battery when NCSExpert is used to manually do the coding (this is outlined in "option 3").

I'll update "option 4" to point people back to "option 3" for how to do the registering.

I know someone who paid $100 for and "official" Bluetooth adapter and it wouldn't even connect to his car LOL. My $10 adapter worked fine.
Thanks for the clarification. I actually have Toolset32, I've just never used it before (didn't even really know what it did).

Anyway, like I said, I'm pretty familiar with coding with NCSExpert, but I do it infrequently enough that it helps to have a go-by like yours. I went ahead and updated the VO, exited the program, then went back in to verify that it took. It did.

Next, I read the CAS trace file, modified the stock 80ah value to 90ah_agm for my new battery, and rewrote the module with the .man file. Exited the program, went back in, re-read a trace file, and checked for the change I made. There it was.

Then I went to process the car, the job got started, got theough one module ("Kombi") and then spit out a "Coding Faulty" error on the next module ("MULF2"). Tried a few times, couldn't get it to work.

I then went into Toolset32, found the battery registration job. I didn't see a "Run Job" button anywhere, but I double-clicked the job and almost immediately got a pop-up window reflecting job results "okay."

So at this point, I've got the VO updated, the CAS module updated, and the battery registered. Am I good to go? Or do I need to find some way to get the "Process Car" thing to work?
      12-30-2016, 09:58 PM   #10
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Yep, I used NCSExpert to code the change to AGM and tool32 to register.

Thanks for the info on ISTA/P. I'll take a look over on e90 post for more, but I really don't want to do the VM thing. Believe it or not, I have everything (except ISTA/P apparently) running natively under win7 x64. My old laptop with 3 GB of RAM does not need the extra overhead or complication of running a hypervisor as well as everything else...

Apparently, you seem to have amassed a considerable body of knowledge on coding\diag. I wonder if you have any good background\overview sites or docs you'd like to share with those trying to improve themselves? I did a fair amount of research into the subject when trying to get all the software running but ultimately got frustrated because I was unable to find any good comprehensive sources. People want to make money with it, so they won't share...

Again, mighty thanks and kudos for sharing your knowledge with the community,

ianc
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 12:12 AM   #11
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I had just bought the Carly wifi dongle for $70+, and was about to pay the $45 for the app when I realized it would cost another $10 to enable the battery registration functionality. For some reason, that $10 was a bridge too far for me
It's called "nickle and diming the customer."
      12-31-2016, 02:09 AM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

bNks334 Great thread! I made it a sticky so other members can find it easily.
Appreciate 1
bNks334426.50
      01-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #13
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Apparently, you seem to have amassed a considerable body of knowledge on coding\diag. I wonder if you have any good background\overview sites or docs you'd like to share with those trying to improve themselves? I did a fair amount of research into the subject when trying to get all the software running but ultimately got frustrated because I was unable to find any good comprehensive sources. People want to make money with it, so they won't share...
Honestly, this stuff is pretty damn easy once you've clicked through these programs a few times... I honestly just spent a lot of time researching and google'ing around. Most of what you see here is just stuff that's been posted already but buried within threads of people going back and fourth before finding a solution. I Just tried to lay everything out in one damn place for everyone lol

Again, learning everything I have pretty much just required reading countless threads. Most of the threads are filled with bad info or steps that no longer apply. It takes a lot of effort to weed out the good from the bad.

Last edited by bNks334; 01-01-2017 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 10:15 PM   #14
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Anyway, like I said, I'm pretty familiar with coding with NCSExpert, but I do it infrequently enough that it helps to have a go-by like yours. I went ahead and updated the VO, exited the program, then went back in to verify that it took. It did.
At this point, if you added the new battery to your VO, you DID NOT need to make the coding changes manually. You just needed to go into NCS Expert and either process the NFRM and CAS modules individually or use the non-recommended method of sending a blank .man file to them. This will reset the modules to their default settings which will now reflect the new battery you added to your VO!

Quote:
Next, I read the CAS trace file, modified the stock 80ah value to 90ah_agm for my new battery, and rewrote the module with the .man file. Exited the program, went back in, re-read a trace file, and checked for the change I made. There it was.
If you correctly updated the VO then this wasn't really necessary . You only had to reset the modules. Didn't hurt to do it manually though.

Quote:
Then I went to process the car, the job got started, got through one module ("Kombi") and then spit out a "Coding Faulty" error on the next module ("MULF2"). Tried a few times, couldn't get it to work.
I honestly never used the "process car" method. This simply resets ALL the modules in the car back to their default settings. This is necessary when you don't know which modules in the car will be affected by the change done to the VO. In our case here, we know NFRM and CAS will change based on the new battery VO line, so "process car" isn't exactly necessary. All you need to do is reset those two modules and then verify the trace files reflect the new battery.

Quote:
I then went into Toolset32, found the battery registration job. I didn't see a "Run Job" button anywhere, but I double-clicked the job and almost immediately got a pop-up window reflecting job results "okay."
Yeah, these guides are a bit tough because there are many different versions of all these programs floating around. Some of them are English translated, and some of them are the German versions.

When I get time, I'll load everything up and double check the steps in this guide.

Quote:
So at this point, I've got the VO updated, the CAS module updated, and the battery registered. Am I good to go? Or do I need to find some way to get the "Process Car" thing to work?
Nope, you should be fine so long as the trace files still reflect the new battery! You can use INPA, see appendix D, to also verify the changes were made properly.
Appreciate 3
      01-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #15
jacobsmith
Rep
Drives: F20 118D

Hi,

Thanks very much for your guide it has been very helpful. I replaced my battery this evening on my F20 118D (2011) and I am currently waiting on another forum to be approved to download ISTA-D and hopefully re-register the battery.

Until then, I am a bit worried something has gone wrong. After replacing the battery, the engine turned on with no issue, I went for a quick drive to make sure everything was OK, however about 1 minute into the drive I had a few messages come up on my iDrive.

1) Tyre pressure monitoring unable to read pressure.
2) Set time and date (Expected this)
3) Driving stability - drive to nearest service centre.

Am I right to be worried about these messages? Or will they clear following a longer drive? Will they disappear after activation? I haven't seen any similar issues relating to this model of car after searching online.

Hopefully somebody can provide their opinion, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much, the resources on this site are great
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #16
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsmith View Post
Hi,

Thanks very much for your guide it has been very helpful. I replaced my battery this evening on my F20 118D (2011) and I am currently waiting on another forum to be approved to download ISTA-D and hopefully re-register the battery.

Until then, I am a bit worried something has gone wrong. After replacing the battery, the engine turned on with no issue, I went for a quick drive to make sure everything was OK, however about 1 minute into the drive I had a few messages come up on my iDrive.

1) Tyre pressure monitoring unable to read pressure.
2) Set time and date (Expected this)
3) Driving stability - drive to nearest service centre.

Am I right to be worried about these messages? Or will they clear following a longer drive? Will they disappear after activation? I haven't seen any similar issues relating to this model of car after searching online.

Hopefully somebody can provide their opinion, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much, the resources on this site are great
Sounds unrelated... Maybe a tpms sensor is out? That would cause DSC to malfunction.

Read the DME codes with a code reader.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #17
jacobsmith
Rep
Drives: F20 118D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
Sounds unrelated... Maybe a tpms sensor is out? That would cause DSC to malfunction.

Read the DME codes with a code reader.
Hi Mate, thanks for getting back to me.

For anyone who may encounter similar issues, it appears that a steering re-calibration of some kind was required. Full lock to either side cleared the faults instantly while the engine was running.

Many thanks once again for the guide, it will help many.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #18
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:

For anyone who may encounter similar issues, it appears that a steering re-calibration of some kind was required. Full lock to either side cleared the faults instantly while the engine was running.

That just happened to me too recently. It was because I lowered the car and hadn't gotten an alignment yet though lol. Glad you got it fixed quick. DSC alignment is another easy thing you can do with ISTA/D!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #19
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:

That just happened to me too recently. It was because I lowered the car and hadn't gotten an alignment yet though lol. Glad you got it fixed quick. DSC alignment is another easy thing you can do with ISTA/D and the only thing that worked for me in the past!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #20
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep

Hi bNks,

I've been doing a bit more reading on this lately and have come across some information regarding profiles which seems to conflict with a bit of the information above. Wonder if you could comment on it?

Quote:
It is important to now use NCSExpert to code the car to the new VO settings. If you properly changed the VO, NCSExpert will automatically write the battery capacity and type settings to the various modules. This is what we did manually in option #4!

1. Open NCSEXPERT
2. File > Load profile > Select a profile that has manipulation enabled (“CNCoding”) > Click OK
3. Press F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
4. Press F3 (CS/FA f. EC) > Select E89 > Click OK > Select CAS > Click OK
5. Press F6 (Back)
6. Press F3 (Process Car)
7. Press F1 (Code Car)
In step 2, selecting a profile that has manipuation enabled is specified. My present understanding is that to code a module to the default settings indicated by the VO, a profile that does NOT have manipulation enabled must be used, otherwise the settings used in the .MAN file are written instead?

Not totally understanding the various elements of each profile and what they do. I spent some time looking at the NCS Expert .CHM help file last nite but of course it's all in German, so I wasn't making much of it. I have some limited schoolboy\conversational German, but the technical terms are rather hard going for me. I may sit down with it and make a serious go of translating at least that portion, but I wonder if you could add any information about what the various profile attributes do that you might have picked up?

Thanks again for the great post,

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #21
bNks334
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hi bNks,

I've been doing a bit more reading on this lately and have come across some information regarding profiles which seems to conflict with a bit of the information above. Wonder if you could comment on it?

In step 2, selecting a profile that has manipuation enabled is specified. My present understanding is that to code a module to the default settings indicated by the VO, a profile that does NOT have manipulation enabled must be used, otherwise the settings used in the .MAN file are written instead?

Not totally understanding the various elements of each profile and what they do. I spent some time looking at the NCS Expert .CHM help file last nite but of course it's all in German, so I wasn't making much of it. I have some limited schoolboy\conversational German, but the technical terms are rather hard going for me. I may sit down with it and make a serious go of translating at least that portion, but I wonder if you could add any information about what the various profile attributes do that you might have picked up?

Thanks again for the great post,

ianc
Do you understand the concept of a harddrive needing read and write privileges?

WinKFP can be used to read values or write them. If you don't setup a profile with write privileges enabled, then you will not be able to save the changes you made...

That's about the extent of what I've cared to learn about the profile settings lol... There is no need to change anything beyond enabling manipulation.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #22
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

hey bNks334, I've got a 2011 N55 with the MEVD172 DME. I do not see any options to register the battery under any of the .prg files listed above. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Appreciate 0