04-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #89
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiggz View Post
Unfortunately in the real world the M3 is the only choice for most of us. The 1M is a great car, it's just too small and no useable back seat. If you have a family or often need to cart around friends/family/clients then the 1M is not even an option. The mustang is not an option as a daily driver when you are looking at cars with the fit and finish of BMW M. The M3 is still the best in it's segment IMO and was the obvious choice for me
In terms of DD power I can agree if the M3 we are talking about is a E90 sedan, especially with a DCT and why not EDC too. Otherwise, apples to apples a manual E92 coupe has very little more than a 1M in terms of practicality or space. The rear seats of 1M are really useable and I do use them with 2 little kids in big child seats or like 2 days ago sometimes with 2 full size adults in a day trip on a variety of roads. Among the four people in the 1M no one was a dwarf if you would believe me!

Just make sure you don't put people with obesity issues in the front or back of this car. In fact, don't put them in any performance car

On another note, this was a latecomer but a fair and nice review.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #90
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Wow......makes me wanna go and buy a used M3. Then I think of poor gas mileage for my daily commute and I say.......let me find a nice 1M.....but then I see jacked up used prices that are 10-15K more then when 1M was new...........and I say nah.....I am not stupid to pay those prices.

Thus, for now ill just be happy with my cobb tuned E92 335i that is almost paid off and provides decent gas mileage. It is also not as tight in back seat space as 1M.

To all those lucky owners of M3 and 1M enjoy you have a fine car parked in your garage
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #91
petapotamus
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 2009 128i

Seems to be a fair, mostly unbiased review. Although, it is kind of ridiculous to first say that the boss can't compete with the BMWs in fit and finish then commend the M3 and 1M for the same. But then again people who buy muscle cars don't buy them for fit and finish. All in all an interesting review.
      04-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #92
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiggz
Unfortunately in the real world the M3 is the only choice for most of us. The 1M is a great car, it's just too small and no useable back seat. If you have a family or often need to cart around friends/family/clients then the 1M is not even an option. The mustang is not an option as a daily driver when you are looking at cars with the fit and finish of BMW M. The M3 is still the best in it's segment IMO and was the obvious choice for me
I can only presume you are speaking of the four door e90 vs the 1. Are you trying to say that you would put clients in the back of an E92 coupe and you think they will be comfortable there and yet uncomfortable in 1er?

Note that the comparo was a test of two door models only.

The 1 series does have a usable back seat, and every comparo that it is in usually there is mention of how it is a great daily driver car, capable of carrying four and is much more useful than others in its segment.

Troll the 1 series forums and you'll see that many owners have families and many people are racking up many many miles as a daily driver.

There are definitely some reasons the m3 is a much better daily driver, it's worth less and can be easily replaced if crashed. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #93
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I can only presume you are speaking of the four door e90 vs the 1. Are you trying to say that you would put clients in the back of an E92 coupe and you think they will be comfortable there and yet uncomfortable in 1er?

The 1 series does have a usable back seat, and every comparo that it is in usually there is mention of how it is a great daily driver car, capable of carrying four and is much more useful than others in its segment.

Troll the 1 series forums and you'll see that many owners have families and many people are racking up many many miles as a daily driver.

There are definitely some reasons the m3 is a much better daily driver, it's worth less and can be easily replaced if crashed. ;-)

Well said!
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #94
turbowolfe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: whiteout

Garage List
1987 911  [0.00]
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

A bit late and just wanted to +1 this statement. We use our 135i with our family, no problems. In fact we all enjoy driving in it more than our family Acura RDX.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #95
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Wow......makes me wanna go and buy a used M3. Then I think of poor gas mileage for my daily commute and I say.......let me find a nice 1M.....but then I see jacked up used prices that are 10-15K more then when 1M was new...........and I say nah.....I am not stupid to pay those prices.

Thus, for now ill just be happy with my cobb tuned E92 335i that is almost paid off and provides decent gas mileage. It is also not as tight in back seat space as 1M.

To all those lucky owners of M3 and 1M enjoy you have a fine car parked in your garage

Yeah, sometimes I still kick myself for not picking up a 1M when I had the chance (due to buying a house instead) especially after seeing the used prices. However, it is nice to sit back and remind myself that my 135 has been paid off for quite a while now. With all of the great new and used car choices out there for enthusiasts, I will eventually add something else to the stable to go next to it.
      04-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #96
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

I hear yea man having a nearly paid off car is great

It allows for greater freedom to mod slowly and improve it. I am enjoying modifying my car slowly but surely and each mod makes it more fun then before

Maybe in a year or two I will find a more pure sport car as a weekend toy......lots of good car out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Yeah, sometimes I still kick myself for not picking up a 1M when I had the chance (due to buying a house instead) especially after seeing the used prices. However, it is nice to sit back and remind myself that my 135 has been paid off for quite a while now. With all of the great new and used car choices out there for enthusiasts, I will eventually add something else to the stable to go next to it.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #97
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

After 5 bulletproof years in an e90 M3, I just acquired a 1M and it is everything you've read about and more. Had the family of 4 in it with no problem at all.

To quote the great Ferris Bueller: "it is so choice, if you have the means I highly recommend picking one up"
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #98
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Since the thread is so far off topic anyway....
My kids (9 and 12) are none too thrilled when in the backseat of the 1M. I actually need to move my seat forward so my 9 year old son can fit. Officially, from what I can find, it appears the M3 has 1.7" more legroom than the 1-series and is almost 2" wider (in back). That's a decent difference if you ask me.
Appreciate 0