BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
imoz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Window Motor Question - Troubleshooting Procedure?

I have read the window motor threads that come up in search. The dealer is not convenient for me anymore (office moved), so I was hoping there might be a few simple things I could check before going that route.

My drivers side window is "frozen", it will not go up or down. When I move the window switch, I can hear a quick "click click" as if the relay is flipping to move the window, but nothing happens. I get the window warning light in the dash.

I tried the reset procedure - hold down for 10 seconds, them hold up for 10 seconds. This clears the pinch warning indicator, but the window still does not move.

What is the likely culprit? Should I go to the trouble of getting to the fuse box and check fuses? Burned out window motor? Just wondering what I should check and in what order to isolate the problem.

I don't want to have to trek to the dealer and then be without the car for awhile if I don't have to. If I can correct this myself even if I have to swap out the window motor in an afternoon that would be a heck of a lot more convenient for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
imoz
Private
United_States
Rep

I dropped the glove box and tested all of the fuses marked with the little window icon on the card. All the fuses tested ok.

Should I order a new window motor and take the door apart? Or is it unlikely its the motor itself?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Raptorbh12
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

I would do a new window motor.
The click-click you hear tells you that the signal is reaching the window motor but then the gear inside the motor is most likely broken or misaligned (still broken) and needs replacing.

BTW, wasnt checking those fuses the biggest PITA ever?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
imoz
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah, the placement of the fusebox was ridiculous. I could get my arm in there but had to pull the fuses blind. I had to find the edge of each fuse section and count over to the right one. Argh!

Now to find a source for a window motor. Half the usual parts sites online either don't list it or don't have it in stock. Time to try the 'bay.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
imoz
Private
United_States
Rep

Ok, does anyone know if the 135i window motors are the same as other BMW's, and use 3 T30 screws to mount to the regulator, or is there a different fastener in use?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoz View Post
Ok, does anyone know if the 135i window motors are the same as other BMW's, and use 3 T30 screws to mount to the regulator, or is there a different fastener in use?
did you solve your problem? Because same happened to me..
Appreciate 0