Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335audioman View Post
Couple of reasons...

It's an M car, so maintenance past 50K miles will be pricey

It's based on an older design/car, so at the end of a 3 year lease, there will probably be a new 1M out for me to hop into. Plus, the 1 series design will be about 7 years old at that point...

I don't trust the N54 yet, so owning the car out of warranty isn't really an option.

Ultimately, I do want to jump into a new M3, so this car would be the perfect transition into one if I lease this.

Basically, I don't plan on keeping the car more than 3 years, so leasing makes sense for me on this one. Assuming the the residuals/money factors aren't terrible. I would expect residuals to be around 58-60% on these with a money factor at the standard 0.00230 to start...probably will get better closer to December 2011..Just guesses, but seems reasonable.
what would you guesstimate a lease payment to be on a 3 year lease, 10-12K.. per year ?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #68
clubspec330i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F39, CB F86, MB 911T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB135i View Post
hmm maybe ill consider that too, wonder how long till they release official info about lease deals
I will let you know once they release that info.

50k for M1 will be a little too much since I paid about 55k for my M3 back in June of 2008.

However, I might go for it if the price comes in around 45k.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #69
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
what would you guesstimate a lease payment to be on a 3 year lease, 10-12K.. per year ?
Hard to say since we don't know the residuals and the money factors could certainly change before next spring, but here's one scenario:

$45k MSRP - no discount
60% residual for 10k/yr
.00230 money factor

This will give you a $665/mo lease before sales tax... After taxes and maybe a couple of options I'm expecting to see a lease payment between $700 and $750 per month.

Edit: This is with no money down except to cover dealer fees, etc... You can knock down about $30/mo for every $1k of a down payment, but I wouldn't recommend it since the point of leasing is to pay as you go.

Last edited by analogue; 12-17-2010 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #70
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan135 View Post
I agree, I need a sunroof and blue to make me a buyer. A focused E30 M3 replacement with premium pkg? The E30 M3 had a sunroof available.
Inaccurate. It wasn't an available option. Every US spec E30 M3 had a sunroof.
      12-18-2010, 12:32 AM   #71
MikesBMW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post
Hard to say since we don't know the residuals and the money factors could certainly change before next spring, but here's one scenario:

$45k MSRP - no discount
60% residual for 10k/yr
.00230 money factor

This will give you a $665/mo lease before sales tax... After taxes and maybe a couple of options I'm expecting to see a lease payment between $700 and $750 per month.

Edit: This is with no money down except to cover dealer fees, etc... You can knock down about $30/mo for every $1k of a down payment, but I wouldn't recommend it since the point of leasing is to pay as you go.
hmm thats still kinda a high payment
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 02:53 AM   #72
Evan135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My wife Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
Inaccurate. It wasn't an available option. Every US spec E30 M3 had a sunroof.
Thanks, I was not sure about year to year differences. This proves my point even more. Why no sunroof on the 1M? It was good enough for the E30 M3.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 03:02 AM   #73
Evan135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My wife Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartikus View Post
Weight, Weight, Weight.
Exactly. It is only 35 pounds for a sunroof. It is in a sensitive place but it weighs less than 1/2 a tank of gas or electric seats. Compared to a convertible, that is not available either, it is very little weight to have an open air driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 04:54 AM   #74
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post

$45k MSRP - no discount
60% residual for 10k/yr
.00230 money factor

Yup. This looks about right. The numbers i worked out were based on a 50K MSRP with no discount and 15K miles a year. I assumed 58% for the residual and 0.0023. My payment came out to $764 before taxes ($834 after Cali Taxes) and with just first months payment and lic/reg due at signing. At that price, i'll go with an M3 or wait until i can get the payment below 700 including taxes without having to put money down. There is no way I will pay in the 700's for a 1 series....even if it is an M. We'll see...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #75
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
This car isn't really about class though...it's about pure performance. Not sure how others feel, but I definitely don't associate tan interiors with sports cars. I think of luxury cars.

Now, a red interior..or a few two tone options would have worked, but the black seats are simple and work with all the available color combinations, which is the point since BMW is trying to make this car cost effective from both a consumer and production standpoint by limiting options.

If the color options are a deal breaker for anybody, then this is the wrong car for them. I mean, BMW is offering the car in 2 very standard colors...and one "wilder" color. It's not like they are offering it in pink, purple, and neon green. The car is about the driving enjoyment. It is not meant to envelop the owner in luxury or provide them with a bunch of pretty sparkles in it's paint job. If that is what you want, then you have many other BMW vehicle choices.
^^^THIS is the answer for people looking for more luxury and more options for the 1M!^^^

There are other BMW choices if it's luxury some of the guys here are after.

/Thread...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #76
1M Fan
SMSgt
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrFa View Post
Does anyone else think there will be huge customer demand for more exterior colors and a sunroof? I understand the weight savings, exclusivity, and production streamlining advantages, but I see many potential customers and M fans turned away.

I don't see the orange interior (and exterior) treatment being to most people's tastes.
I think the M fans that are turned away are simply buying the name and not the performance the car offers. I'll take mine in orange.

Quote:
If the color options are a deal breaker for anybody, then this is the wrong car for them. I mean, BMW is offering the car in 2 very standard colors...and one "wilder" color. It's not like they are offering it in pink, purple, and neon green. The car is about the driving enjoyment. It is not meant to envelop the owner in luxury or provide them with a bunch of pretty sparkles in it's paint job. If that is what you want, then you have many other BMW vehicle choices.
+1. Very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
This car is very unique, very performance oriented. The fact it is manual only, light weight, compact and has the M treatment are a welcome step backwards from the e92 M3 and many modern sports cars. So many are "all in", including me, and lack of a sunroof or color options is not going to matter.
This is what attracts me top the car. I drove the M3. It was stupid fast, handled great and is technically a great car; however, I think it lacks the road feel that I look for. A preferred the 135i with M-Sport over the M3. I hope the 1M is that much better.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #77
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan135 View Post
Exactly. It is only 35 pounds for a sunroof. It is in a sensitive place but it weighs less than 1/2 a tank of gas or electric seats. Compared to a convertible, that is not available either, it is very little weight to have an open air driving experience.
It's not just weight, but headroom (for a driver with a helmet!) also.

BMW is not building this car for the "open air driving experience"... want that... ? go buy a convertible and go drive the local avenue..

BMW has intended this car to be a daily driver AND/OR track car. This is clearly stated in the press releases. So weight and creature comforts are kept to a minimum.. Immediately, buyers over 6 feet are going to want the car to have room for them to fit in the car with a helmet on.

In 5-10 years, the majority of 1Ms will be making their way to track days or on the way to being a dedicated track car, just as dozens of E46 M3s are being converted now, and as E36 M3 and E30 M3 before. Owners that are going to eventually race their cars will be removing the sunroof items for less weight, and also for better head room. Removing a sunroof cassette and making the roof watertight is sometimes a difficult proposition. BMW has saved a lot of track drivers (current and future) a lot of frustration in many ways...
1- more headroom
2- less weight
3- water tight roof!

I'm a sunroof guy.... and I enjoyed the HELL out of my sunroof in my first E30 M3..... but my second E30 M3 has been a track car.. and I can't reach the sunroof button because of the cage anyway I've been cursing the person who installed the cage without removing the headliner for awhile now.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #78
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
^ Exactly. And it has a measurable impact on torsional rigidity.
No sunroof is one of my favorite things about the 1M.
      12-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #79
mcompact
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
^ Exactly. And it has a measurable impact on torsional rigidity.
No sunroof is one of my favorite things about the 1M.
Exactly. I have no desire to have a sunroof in any of my cars- if I want "open air" I'll buy a Z4.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:55 AM   #80
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:

1- more headroom
2- less weight
3- water tight roof!
That's because 1M has street seats. Replace them with racing seats where your legs are more extended than bend at an angle and less the mechnical or electronic 8 way adjustment seats you will have plenty of head room.

It's not M pure with 4 seats, should have just came with one And no carpet, or AC or radio.