BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
MarinJeff
The Stig
Rep
Drives: 135i

First Door Ding -- Advice Please!

Hello,

My beautiful 135 received its first supermarket door ding yesterday! It now has a nice (:P) symmetrical ding with a 1/4 square of paint taken off in the middle of it. The ding is located in my passenger side rear quarter panel just below the accent crease. Ugh!

So, my question is. What is the best way to have it repaired? I need your help.

Thanks!

Jeff
      10-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

if paint is not cracked thru---dent buster guys can make it as new. Probably less than $100.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

You are going to have to take it to the body shop if the paint cracked. That is the price you pay for just pulling into a random space in a parking lot. There are many threads here on this subject but I am sure glad I always park in the middle of nowhere. It is good exercise and I am sure I save a lot of cash by not having to get door dings fixed.
      10-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
sunking420
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 SGM 135i

I agree 100% IDBMW. I park out in Siberia no matter where I go. No dings, and it's amazing to watch people drive around a parking lot three times to get the first spot, whereas they could've parked seven spaces away and saved the grand tour...People amaze me...Anyway distance equals preservation in my book.....
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

The situation sucks I know. No matter where you go there are always going to be stupid people who don't care about other people's property.

Just take a deep breath and take it to a body shop and have them look at it. They'll be able to let you know if they can fix it with paintless dent repair, or if you'll need to have the spot repainted.

+1 on parking smartly, it really is worth it. Sometimes you just can't... and those are the (2) times I've gotten dents in my 135. Luckily I was able to have them 100% removed without any repainting, etc.

I don't let people tell me where to park my car either... tell your passengers to shut-up or they can walk home.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
MarinJeff
The Stig
Rep

Sadly, I parked at the absolute end spot and of the market -- nearest car was 5 spaces away. It didn't stop a single mom's boy from being drawn to me like glue in her big SUV. I am always very conscientous about parking as safely as possible. ID, your smuggness is a bummer and not much help.

After a 1.5 years of extreme caution, i know it can happen to anyone. Thanks for the advice emtrey and feyd.
      10-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
TSiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 135i

I started a thread like this. Same thing, small ding with paint chip and all. It sucks, but you get over it after a week or two. Just have to train yourself not to focus on it everytime you look at your car.

I've debated on whether to get it fixed or not. I want to, but dunno if it's worth it...sorry to hear they gotcha!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

no point in even fixing it. I just left mine as is on the passenger door. It hurts every time i look at it. But is it really worth it to fix it and get it redented by another jerk. No matter how far you park there is bound to be someone that will park next to you. That is why i ordered an alarm. Not really to protect my car from theft, but really to alert people in the parking lot of what an ass this person is dinging your car door. So when he comes back he wont do that again. Hope that works with the blinking red light.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiggs View Post
.... but you get over it after a week or two. Just have to train yourself not to focus on it everytime you look at your car.
Best advice so far. If you seek/want as close to perfection as possible then paintless dent removal and respray. If you're going to do that then experiment with dent removal then touch up paint and Langka. Depending on how handy you are, you may be surprised....or not
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
mynew135
assistant to the regional manager
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking420 View Post
I agree 100% IDBMW. I park out in Siberia no matter where I go. No dings, and it's amazing to watch people drive around a parking lot three times to get the first spot, whereas they could've parked seven spaces away and saved the grand tour...People amaze me...Anyway distance equals preservation in my book.....
Sometimes distance just calls attention to you and then you wind up with a shopping cart in your door. One piece of advice...if you're going to park way away from the rest of the pack, don't park at an angle so that you are taking up more than one space. You'll just piss people off.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

The best fix, and the only fic that will not drive you nuts as your eyes are trained to look for it, is a quality body shop, and make sure they blend it in on the next panel. PDR is great id no paint damage and a food tech. I have seen a few repairs on other cars where the dent is now an outie!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

sorry to hear that. people have no consideration.
      01-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
g-lee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

I brought my 128i convertible in to get a couple door dings fixed, and they guy told me there was no way he could get at them with PDR.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

If it's not creased, PDR and a good airbrusher can fix it to near perfection. If you have to have body work, especially if they want to blend it into another panel, you will lose more value in resale as any paint meter will pick that up and just leaving it would have been better. As stated, if you can live with it, just leave it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

leave w it
      01-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
fusion01
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus ST: 2.5l /5 cyl

Garage List
Paintless dent removal can be pretty impressive. I had a dent in the rear fender that came with my 2nd hand purchase, and other than the tiniest imperfection over the course of a few cm's of fender edge, it's perfect. You'd be hard-pressed to noticed unless you knew it was there. I was most impressed. My garage door came down on my bonnet last week and left a dent - that is more tricky due to the reinforcements running diagonally underneath - going in on Monday and I hope it can be tackled. Agreed, dents are always a heartbreaker.

And agreeing with others, you don't want to respray unless paint has been removed. Original paint is far better in quality, your car is in its original form, and when selling, you will score.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
fusion01
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus ST: 2.5l /5 cyl

Garage List
Oh yeah and sometimes a dent can be from not a lack of respect someone exhibits towards another's car, but a wind can rip a door outwards quite easily. One has to be especially careful towards OTHERS cars with the coupe as the doors are pretty lengthy! I almost dinged a Jaguar once, close call!
Appreciate 0