BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #45
Slow///1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, GT3, X7

I'm in the middle of ED'ing an M3 (6MT) in Vienna and I can say that it is a fantastic car, but no 1M. I needed a 4 door for the growing family and the cockpit/ride of the M3 is perfect as far as the WAF (wife acceptance factor) goes. The engine sounds great from the inside and with spirited driving over the last 350 miles, it's been averaging 23 mpg. My 1M is somewhere in the high teens under same conditions.

Once past break-in I will report back on performance, but I don't see the car ever feeling like its smaller (or more nimble) than the 1M. It's not that the M3 feels heavy, it just feels very wide. I'm sure my opinion will change as I get some more driving time or get the car back to some familiar roads. I still think

The transmission for all of you manual loyalists is great. The auto rev feature is slightly annoying if you're used to doing that yourself, but I'm hoping I can code that off later. It's smooth and mechanical like the 1M, but with a higher clutch point.

The sound... Initial startup is no where near as menacing as the 1M. Idle isn't remarkable either. Once you're moving the car sounds great. The wife made multiple comments on how loud it was under load when in 1st/2nd. I haven't gone above 5k rpm, but the sound at 5k is addictive.

So far I'm very happy with my purchase... But I won't be selling the 1M. They're too different, in good ways. The m3 is much more refined inside, the 1M is raw fun.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #46
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow///1 View Post
I'm in the middle of ED'ing an M3 (6MT) in Vienna and I can say that it is a fantastic car, but no 1M. I needed a 4 door for the growing family and the cockpit/ride of the M3 is perfect as far as the WAF (wife acceptance factor) goes. The engine sounds great from the inside and with spirited driving over the last 350 miles, it's been averaging 23 mpg. My 1M is somewhere in the high teens under same conditions.

Once past break-in I will report back on performance, but I don't see the car ever feeling like its smaller (or more nimble) than the 1M. It's not that the M3 feels heavy, it just feels very wide. I'm sure my opinion will change as I get some more driving time or get the car back to some familiar roads. I still think

The transmission for all of you manual loyalists is great. The auto rev feature is slightly annoying if you're used to doing that yourself, but I'm hoping I can code that off later. It's smooth and mechanical like the 1M, but with a higher clutch point.

The sound... Initial startup is no where near as menacing as the 1M. Idle isn't remarkable either. Once you're moving the car sounds great. The wife made multiple comments on how loud it was under load when in 1st/2nd. I haven't gone above 5k rpm, but the sound at 5k is addictive.

So far I'm very happy with my purchase... But I won't be selling the 1M. They're too different, in good ways. The m3 is much more refined inside, the 1M is raw fun.
I test drove an M4 yesterday and came away with similar feelings. It was an M4 with DCT. The salesman let me really flog it.

The car is noticeably faster than my stock tune 1M. The car built speed very quickly and power was linear until about 6.5k where it started to fall off. No need to take it to redline unless you want to hear it scream. If outright speed is your thing then the M3/4 will not disappoint.

I also really loved the seats. The new "buckets" were maybe my favorite thing about the car.

I did not like the steering. While it is an improvement over the basic 3 series steering box, it doesn't even hold a candle to the 1M IMHO. It weights up at speed, but I like some weight when I am putting around at normal speeds. I came away thinking the steering was vague and numb.

I also was not wowed by the exhaust note. It sounds great from ~4-7.6k but startup and idle was really disappointing. I am sure the aftermarket will offer mild to wild replacements.

Lastly, the car just felt too big. My girlfriend drives an F30 328i and I like the size, but the 4 felt a good bit bigger. I guess it was the longer hood

I was worried that I would feel underwhelmed getting back into the 1M, but that was not the case at all. The M4 is a fantastic machine, but it didn't have much character.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #47
Slow///1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, GT3, X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
I test drove an M4 yesterday and came away with similar feelings. It was an M4 with DCT. The salesman let me really flog it.

The car is noticeably faster than my stock tune 1M. The car built speed very quickly and power was linear until about 6.5k where it started to fall off. No need to take it to redline unless you want to hear it scream. If outright speed is your thing then the M3/4 will not disappoint.

I also really loved the seats. The new "buckets" were maybe my favorite thing about the car.

I did not like the steering. While it is an improvement over the basic 3 series steering box, it doesn't even hold a candle to the 1M IMHO. It weights up at speed, but I like some weight when I am putting around at normal speeds. I came away thinking the steering was vague and numb.

I also was not wowed by the exhaust note. It sounds great from ~4-7.6k but startup and idle was really disappointing. I am sure the aftermarket will offer mild to wild replacements.

Lastly, the car just felt too big. My girlfriend drives an F30 328i and I like the size, but the 4 felt a good bit bigger. I guess it was the longer hood

I was worried that I would feel underwhelmed getting back into the 1M, but that was not the case at all. The M4 is a fantastic machine, but it didn't have much character.
Yes I forgot the seats... the one area where I am left annoyed with the 1M. The M3's seats were fantastic. They get nice and low, something I've never been able to do with my stock 1M seats (and don't feel like spending the 5k on M performance version.)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #48
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Saw it in the flesh today - actually looks quite good. Now I am thinking I should swap the X3 to the M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #49
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Saw it in the flesh today - actually looks quite good. Now I am thinking I should swap the X3 to the M3.
This should not be a debate in your mind
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #50
edwardio
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 1M COUPE

Hey up folks...Popped by my local dealers to see the new M3/M4 and to my surprise an M5 park next to em...
First impression was that i hated the M4 and didn't even look at the M5..Couldn't get over the size of the M4, way too big for my liking...It don't even look that M'd up too me and i hated the back...
The massive surprise was how much i fell in love with the M3 Sedan..Love the shape of the new M3 it just looks more practical and way better looking than the M4..Im not into huge cars anyway so dont want to be too biased against the M4, but the M3 is sweet, especially in this blue colour i saw it in..
Conclusion....So keeping my 1M, would love to add the M3 to it, no way could afford too and dont like the M4...

Name:  10523711_10203632768798278_95214225_n.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  10523428_10203632769118286_549765005_n.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  10526628_10203632770718326_1953840952_n.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  95.4 KB

Name:  10508509_10203632770518321_732750885_n.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  96.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #51
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardio
Hey up folks...Popped by my local dealers to see the new M3/M4 and to my surprise an M5 park next to em...
First impression was that i hated the M4 and didn't even look at the M5..Couldn't get over the size of the M4, way too big for my liking...It don't even look that M'd up too me and i hated the back...
The massive surprise was how much i fell in love with the M3 Sedan..Love the shape of the new M3 it just looks more practical and way better looking than the M4..Im not into huge cars anyway so dont want to be too biased against the M4, but the M3 is sweet, especially in this blue colour i saw it in..
Conclusion....So keeping my 1M, would love to add the M3 to it, no way could afford too and dont like the M4...

Attachment 1064387

Attachment 1064388

Attachment 1064389

Attachment 1064390
yeah agree I saw a blue M4 last weekend (2nd one I've seen now after a grey one) and found it to be bland, waaaaay too big and uninspiring style-wise. I'm sure it performs great but I couldn't love with it. I haven't seen the new M3 in person but the photos look great and I expect to like it a lot more than the bulbous coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #52
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
This should not be a debate in your mind
More like a debate with my wife!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #53
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

I was lucky enough to lap the new M3/M4 on a race track earlier this week It was my favourite M car out of the line up (I got to try the new M5, M6, and M6 Gran Coupe as well!).

I really enjoyed the car's dynamics. It felt very nimble and power delivery was insane... At times it felt quicker than my tuned 1M. I have an AK exhaust and the exhaust on the M3/M4 had me grinning. Definitely a lot more refined than on the 1M, much quieter... and I'm sure considerably more artificial. But I didn't care! It had me grinning. No noticeable turbo lag either.. All that work they did to keep the turbos spooling is really noticeable.

M3/M4 was my favourite car and the M6 Gran Coupe was probably the most balanced car, IMO. I'm going to strongly consider a (LCI) M3 in the future...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #54
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj-
I was lucky enough to lap the new M3/M4 on a race track earlier this week It was my favourite M car out of the line up (I got to try the new M5, M6, and M6 Gran Coupe as well!).

I really enjoyed the car's dynamics. It felt very nimble and power delivery was insane... At times it felt quicker than my tuned 1M. I have an AK exhaust and the exhaust on the M3/M4 had me grinning. Definitely a lot more refined than on the 1M, much quieter... and I'm sure considerably more artificial. But I didn't care! It had me grinning. No noticeable turbo lag either.. All that work they did to keep the turbos spooling is really noticeable.

M3/M4 was my favourite car and the M6 Gran Coupe was probably the most balanced car, IMO. I'm going to strongly consider a (LCI) M3 in the future...
Nice!!! Just for reference, what tune do you have on your 1m?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #55
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

Cobb Stage 2 + FMIC + Aggressive and recently working with PTF on a custom tune.

Oh, I forgot to mention all the cars were pimped out BMW Individuals w/ Carbon Ceramic brakes and a few had titanium exhausts, which I'm assuming is Akrapovic.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 03:24 AM   #56
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep

^If the new m3/m4 felt faster than your 1m, that is some serious shit!!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 05:21 AM   #57
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
saw a black M3 yesterday.....fenders aren't as prominent as I thought.....pretty disappointed. I think the 1M has ruined my judgement of fender lines forever. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #58
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdawood View Post
I could tell there was some trickery going on though. The artificial engine noise, despite BMW insisting that most of it is real... How to word this.. It tricks you into thinking the engine is revving quicker than it really is. It helps remove turbo lag impression. I think this, mixed with the DCT transmission and the crazy amount of torque is what had me grinning.

This is also on a large race track, so the car was in the right environment to stretch it's legs. I haven't taken my 1M on this course (yet).

I should also add that I'm going to upgrade the e92 M3, not my 1M.. I wouldn't trade my 1M for this. Not that I don't think it's worth it, the 1M just feels sportier in my opinion. The interior materials used on the M3/M4 are far superior to the e9x M3 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
saw a black M3 yesterday.....fenders aren't as prominent as I thought.....pretty disappointed. I think the 1M has ruined my judgement of fender lines forever. lol
Agreed!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #59
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdawood View Post
I could tell there was some trickery going on though. The artificial engine noise, despite BMW insisting that most of it is real... How to word this.. It tricks you into thinking the engine is revving quicker than it really is. It helps remove turbo lag impression. I think this, mixed with the DCT transmission and the crazy amount of torque is what had me grinning.

This is also on a large race track, so the car was in the right environment to stretch it's legs. I haven't taken my 1M on this course (yet).

I should also add that I'm going to upgrade the e92 M3, not my 1M.. I wouldn't trade my 1M for this. Not that I don't think it's worth it, the 1M just feels sportier in my opinion. The interior materials used on the M3/M4 are far superior to the e9x M3 though.

Quote:
Agreed!
Fair enough. Looking forward to your impressions once you take the 1m on the same track.
I agree about the fenders... The m3 is far more aggressive than the m4 but I think the 1m fenders are more aggressive than the m3. I wouldn't sell the 1m either. Just supplement it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #60
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Cobb Stage 2 + FMIC + Aggressive and recently working with PTF on a custom tune.

Oh, I forgot to mention all the cars were pimped out BMW Individuals w/ Carbon Ceramic brakes and a few had titanium exhausts, which I'm assuming is Akrapovic.
I attended the event in Mosport too for the BMW M Power Tour. Was really fun. I drove all the M cars except the M5. I like the M4 the best as well overall but my god, the M6 is a beast...I drove the black frozen one and it was an animal!

I also noticed a lot of the people didn't know that some of the vehicles weren't set to Sport Plus, so naturally, I turned it on

I'd have to take my 1M to the track to really give a proper opinion on which feels faster and better overall.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #61
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

For what it's worth.

I just got home from the race track.
The most popular car magazine over here happend to be there testing the new M3 (lap time etc).
When asked what car I was driving the motor journalist lit up , and said "I'll take the 1M over the M3 any day."
Pure joy in comparision.

(Apparently the motor journalist wanted to test the M4 because he expected the M4 handling to be a tad better but no M4 was available)

Last edited by Hobbe; 07-26-2014 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #62
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Yep...the 1M fenders have spoiled me for any other car. Hopefully the M2 has something crazy, maybe I can talk my wife into trading her car in for one!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:38 AM   #63
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
I attended the event in Mosport too for the BMW M Power Tour. Was really fun. I drove all the M cars except the M5. I like the M4 the best as well overall but my god, the M6 is a beast...I drove the black frozen one and it was an animal!

I also noticed a lot of the people didn't know that some of the vehicles weren't set to Sport Plus, so naturally, I turned it on

I'd have to take my 1M to the track to really give a proper opinion on which feels faster and better overall.

I am going to the M Power Tour in Vancouver on Aug 28. Thanks for the sport Plus tip

Any other tips and things I should look out for? Did you run out of time and that was why you did not try the M5?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #64
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post

I'm assuming you were one of the two 1M's (In the M3 convoy) I drove past on my way in for the afternoon session?

The M5 didn't feel right... I had a horrible time with it when I drove it. It could have been because my co-driver and I kept trying to take the racing lines faster and more aggressive with each M car we moved into LOL. Shortly after the M5 I went back to focusing on my lines, so it could have easily been me vs the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #65
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca335 View Post
I am going to the M Power Tour in Vancouver on Aug 28. Thanks for the sport Plus tip

Any other tips and things I should look out for? Did you run out of time and that was why you did not try the M5?
I think you'll get a hang for it once you get in the cars..you're driving a 1M like me so you know what to expect as far as torque lol!
They don't give you a thorough walk-through of each vehicle..they pretty much tell you to get in and start driving so you don't have much time to even adjust your seat and mirrors let alone play with all the settings.
Only tip I can suggest is adjust the HUD. I'm not a tall guy so the HUD was sitting almost smack in the middle of my viewing angle so I quickly adjusted the height through the iDrive before starting. It's very cool but when it's blocking your sight, it's not fun.
I was hoping they would have a 6MT in any of the M cars but they didn't. And it was my first time driving paddle shift, so it was really awkward. I kept hitting the blinker instead of the paddle shift so it takes some getting used to.

The driving portion of the event at Mosport consisted of going on the track and learning a few of the turns. They make you and your partner drive specific turns to teach you about braking, apex, exit, etc. Then you drive back to the beginning and switch cars.
In my group the instructors messed up a bit so my partner and I ended up driving the M3 twice and missed driving the M5.
After that session, we did full lapping sessions with only 1 car. So I suggest at this point you run and pick the car you want to drive because you won't change cars.
We did about 5-6 laps around Mosport then switched partners...they aren't hot laps but pretty good spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #66
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
I'm assuming you were one of the two 1M's (In the M3 convoy) I drove past on my way in for the afternoon session?

The M5 didn't feel right... I had a horrible time with it when I drove it. It could have been because my co-driver and I kept trying to take the racing lines faster and more aggressive with each M car we moved into LOL. Shortly after the M5 I went back to focusing on my lines, so it could have easily been me vs the car.
Yep that was me I saw your AW 1M pass by me as well. You have a lowered suspension/spacers on? It looked pretty aggressive We should meet up sometime!

Ok so I didn't miss much with the M5, that's good! LOL.

Another tip I can suggest is that when you're at the event chit chatting..try to find a partner that you think knows how to drive LOL...my partner had never been on a track and really didn't listen to the driving instructors and pretty much had the gangster grab on the steering wheel the whole time. It was a bit nerve wrecking when he took corners because he didn't know how to brake properly.

Not to mention he also forgot to put the parking brake up in one of the cars and as we got out to switch I noticed the front tires started to move towards the car in front so I can ran and got in and hit the brakes!
Appreciate 0