BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

Took some extensive water into my car. Should I be worried?

Just one of those days. Torrential down-pore in downtown Tampa this morning and had to be at the courthouse just as it was at its worst. I also had a car full of boxes that had to be brought in so the door was open for a considerable amount of time, the seats are SOAKED and im sure the carpet also. Should I be worried that the water will damage the leather and carpet? Ive always purposely avoided situations where its raining and using my car but it was unavoidable today.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I would get some damp rid to put inside the car to trap any humidity left from the carpets, as far as the leather maybe a conditioner?

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
it should be alright, I'd shampoo the carpets though to make sure that you don't get a musty smell and maybe condition the leather.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
I would get some damp rid to put inside the car to trap any humidity left from the carpets, as far as the leather maybe a conditioner?

+1. get some of the "bags of pellets" that absorb water from the air. Throw them inside the car for a few days. You can use a wet/dry vac to get out most of the water for now.

Think of all the electrical cables and connectors... and when you start to introduce water - you will have lots of corrosion. Don't put this off, do it now!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
FDfranklin
d[-_-]b
Rep
Drives: Ordered: 2023 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
+1. get some of the "bags of pellets" that absorb water from the air. Throw them inside the car for a few days. You can use a wet/dry vac to get out most of the water for now.

Think of all the electrical cables and connectors... and when you start to introduce water - you will have lots of corrosion. Don't put this off, do it now!
Yeah sucks im stuck at work all day and my car is in the garage. Only thing I have close by is a walgreens think they would have anything of that sort? lol
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
This weather has been crazy..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
The least of your worries are the carpets and seats. It would be the electrical wires snaking from front to back which sit under the carpet. I knew of an x5 which got soaked, water going just above door level and the car became a write off. However that was due to flooding, in your case most likely ok. But definately electrical system is your main concern.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

If it were me, I'd remove the floor mats, and then remove the seats and subwoofers. That will get you to the bottom of the floor pan. From there, you could mop up any water. It might be a bit hard to do, but there is a beam in front of the subwoofer, you might be able to pry up a bit of the foam/carpet and get in there (e.g. where your feet normally rest in the car) with some rags or a shop vac.

Once you've taken it out, you might want to rotate the subwoofer box in the air a few different directions in case some water got inside it.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it would take you no more than about half an hour to remove the seat bolts, and take out the driver and passenger seat. The rest is easy.

As others have said get yourself some desiccant, and if you park inside your own garage when you are home, I'd roll the windows down to further aid with the drying process.

Other than a wipe down, I'd probably put some good leather conditioner on the seats (after they dried).