BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
funseries
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Dashboard lit up like an xmas tree

It happened when I was taking a medium bend under load, not at WOT, but at high revs, when all of a sudden most of the lights came on for a few seconds. I cannot remember exactly which ones right now but there was a blue one, the yellow lift one, triangular warning and a handful of others.

So I parked, restarted, then started taking a turn again and the same set of lights appeared, but now a solid yellow CEL stays on. I go to run the Check function but it says OK. Any ideas? Must have something to do while turning I'm guessing.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I had a similar issue with my first 135i, and it only occurred during hard right hand turns. I would get a series of misfires followed by a CEL. The codes indicated misfire on cylinder 5 and the LPFP plausibility code. The LPFP code had been there forever, but I figured it finally crapped out. Before running off to replace the LPFP, I moved the coil from cylinder 5 to cylinder 4, and moved the spark plug from cylinder 5 to cylinder 3. The misfire code followed the coil to cylinder 4. Since one coil failed and the plugs were starting to show some wear, I decided to replace all the coils and plugs. The misfire went away completely. Again, the misfire only occurred in right hand turns. Could the LPFP have contributed to the misfire? Maybe, but replacing the coils fixed the problem.

Have someone run your codes, and start with the simplest fix first.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
funseries
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thanks for the tip. Coincidentally both times it's happened have also been on right hand turns. The moment I push the car a little and this is what I get, lol
Appreciate 0