BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozimmer View Post
Having previously owned a MkV Golf GTI DSG (few problems, but lousy VW service) and an Audi B6 A4 (a number of electrical problems, but addressed efficiently by the dealer) I would call it a tie. Part of the reason I am now on this forum.

Even so, I retain a soft spot for VAG interiors and design, so I may be tempted back in future...
ohh I still find it funny everytime someone uses VAG in a sentence. I think I'm still 10 years old
      09-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
Simonnn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiuM View Post
ohh I still find it funny everytime someone uses VAG in a sentence. I think I'm still 10 years old
Especially VAG interiors!

..we need to grow up

Back on topic.. I've been in a couple of Golf GTIs and just love the way they feel around town. If anything they just seem a bit boring. Not sure how they are after some slight mods though! If the polo is a lighter version of the golf i'd imagine it would be great fun in its own way too
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #25
fontana302
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 E90 M3

I have MY 13 Polo GTI, MY 13 Golf GTI, E90 M3, 997.2 Porsche 911 currently in the garage. Had 125i sport conv, 135i coupe as well so qualified on this one.

Absolutely love the Polo, much better fun than a 125i, real zippy, practical & use it for my daily transport. Used to use the 135i for that, polo is better in town. Give any car a run around town, extra quick off the mark, real good handling, DSG not as smooth as Golf. Only thing Golf has that Polo doesn't is auto head lights.

BTW, had an engine change at 13k due to high oil consumption (maxed out at 1.7l/500km), hasn't used a drop since on the new engine, now done 21k & drive it like I stole it. I'd recommend the polo irrespective - great bang for buck with great features.

Don't pay more than 29k btw.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #26
Scoobs
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i Space Grey DCT

**cough** Tool **cough**
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #27
AshOz125i
Private
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red 1er

Actually test drove the new golf yesterday instead of the polo gti. As much as i like the car I think I would always be waiting for it to break down on me.

Took the 90tsi base model and the 103tsi high line for back to back test drives both in DSG guise. Observations: both models build quality seems very high from initial impressions, nice handling for a standard hatch. Didn't end up testing stereos in either car as I was talking the whole time and kinda forgot the young bloke salesman said the stereo is actually pretty damn good for a standard system (8 speaker in 103ts)

90tsi:
-seats are very comfy even in the base model (I've got a busted L5 disc so this is extremely important to me)
- stop start system a little intrusive
- dsg hesitant but I guess this is normal
- power didn't feel as underpowered as I expected
- very quiet inside (continental tyres I believe)
- brushed aluminium dash finish seems better than the upper models piano black

103tsi:
- had leather seats so couldn't compare the standard alacantara/cloth seats although I sat in a 110tdi after which had them and they seem very nice (the lumber adjustment is a nice touch)
- noisier on the inside with the 17" wheels (Dunlop tyres I think) on very course bitumen however it also has different tyres to the standard model so this could just be a tyre issue.
- start/stop not as obvious
- dsg hesitation much the same
- power is pretty good but the dsg seems to like keeping it in a high gear and doesn't always want to drop down (probably programming for better fuel econ)
- reverse camera is a nice touch, however undecided whether its necessary or not (I like just sensors)
- sat nav screen is a little blurry, seems a touch more detailed than my business sat nav in the 125i but less clear almost like it has a stretched resolution)

I think that's about it, I know it's a bit off topic compared to the other discussion but I figured I'd give everyone an update
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #28
thewafflecaust
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Rattling Wastegate

Both the 103 and the 90 have the DQ200 DSG7, this is the gearbox that has been subject to recalls worldwide, including the recent shitstorm and recall fairfax stirred up in aus.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #29
AshOz125i
Private
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red 1er

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewafflecaust
Both the 103 and the 90 have the DQ200 DSG7, this is the gearbox that has been subject to recalls worldwide, including the recent shitstorm and recall fairfax stirred up in aus.
Yes that's true, however I think I remember reading on vwwatercooled there have been some changed including the mechatronics unit and heavier duty clutch packs. I'm not 100% on that however.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #30
thewafflecaust
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Rattling Wastegate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshOz125i View Post
Yes that's true, however I think I remember reading on vwwatercooled there have been some changed including the mechatronics unit and heavier duty clutch packs. I'm not 100% on that however.
My 118TSI is going in for another set of clutchpacks, and for the new mechatronics unit sometime soon.

Whether or not that fixes the launch hesitation or the slipping on the 1->2 shift, i've pretty much given up hope on..

As myself and others have said, the cars themselves are decent, but the after sales service experience via VW has been terrible, and I found it particular bad in Canberra.
Appreciate 0