E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How xenons/angel eyes work in the e90

01-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
How xenons/angel eyes work in the e90

I have a general question about xenons. I should be getting my car in 1-2 weeks hopefully and ppl keep writing about angel eyes. I know the adaptive xenon lights swivel and distribute a very white light. How do the angel eyes come into play?

Do they only activate upon initial start up of the xenon bulbs, i.e., it's the pre-phase to when the xenons are fully activated and the bulb turns white. Or can you get them by just setting the auto-headlights and they just come on at dusk? Is there a way to keep angel eyes all the time? Or do you have to drive with your parking lights to have the angel eyes?

Sorry in advance for all the ignorant questions about xenons. I can't seem to find a stright answer and I've never owned a car with xenons.
      01-13-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

The xenons and angel eyes are two separate things.

The angel eyes are circular fibreoptics that are lit by regular bulbs. These surround the projector lens of the xenon/hid lights and can be turned on independent of the xenons by turning on the parking lights.

Hope this helps you.
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 05:26 AM   #3
rebelfocus
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 520d SE Touring

I have adaptive headlights (xenons) so let me summarise how it works from my limited experience

- with the switch in automatic position, the angel eyes and low-beams are both OFF in bright conditions. When it get's darker or you go through a tunnel both will come on together
- also in automatic position, the adaptive function in activiated and the xenon lights will swivel (in any manual position, the adaptive function is not activated)
- if you turn on the parking lights, the angel eyes will be on on their own but the low-beams will not turn on automatically when it gets dark so then you need to remember flip the switch yourself to automatic mode or manual on. This is a pain.
- the car has the option on turning daytime running lights on but this will mean that the angel eyes and xenons are always on together
- angel eyes look cool and look their coolest when the all 4 are on and the xenons are off (parking lights position). If you are vain you will turn the parking lights on while driving for this cosmetic effect (and perhaps turn on front fogs tool)

I leave mine in 'Automatic' for the following reasons

- I don't want to have to remember to manually turn the low-beams on when it get's dark.
- I want the adaptive function to be on when my lights switch on so leaving it in automatic is fine
- I have comfort access and in the lights automatically switch off when I leave the car (no buzzers or warnings). I love this feature and it only works in 'automatic'

Of course, I would love if the DRL consisted of just Angel Eyes. Then I might activate them. It's a bit of a waste to turn them on when xenons come on as well, as this might shorten the life of the bulbs. The automatic lights function provides enough safety as it is quite sensitive and will even turn the lights on on dull overcast days which is good.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #4
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyobrien
I have adaptive headlights (xenons) so let me summarise how it works from my limited experience

- with the switch in automatic position, the angel eyes and low-beams are both OFF in bright conditions. When it get's darker or you go through a tunnel both will come on together
- also in automatic position, the adaptive function in activiated and the xenon lights will swivel (in any manual position, the adaptive function is not activated)
- if you turn on the parking lights, the angel eyes will be on on their own but the low-beams will not turn on automatically when it gets dark so then you need to remember flip the switch yourself to automatic mode or manual on. This is a pain.
- the car has the option on turning daytime running lights on but this will mean that the angel eyes and xenons are always on together
- angel eyes look cool and look their coolest when the all 4 are on and the xenons are off (parking lights position). If you are vain you will turn the parking lights on while driving for this cosmetic effect (and perhaps turn on front fogs tool)

- I don't want to have to remember to manually turn the low-beams on when it get's dark.
- I want the adaptive function to be on when my lights switch on so leaving it in automatic is fine
- I have comfort access and in the lights automatically switch off when I leave the car (no buzzers or warnings). I love this feature and it only works in 'automatic'

Of course, I would love if the DRL consisted of just Angel Eyes. Then I might activate them. It's a bit of a waste to turn them on when xenons come on as well, as this might shorten the life of the bulbs. The automatic lights function provides enough safety as it is quite sensitive and will even turn the lights on on dull overcast days which is good.
Thanks for the info - that is extremely helpful - just one more question.

In the automatic position - when you say the angel eyes and xenon come on together when it gets dark - do they come on simultaneously or angel eyes first for a few minutes and THEN the xenons....
      01-13-2006, 08:49 AM   #5
rebelfocus
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 520d SE Touring

In the automatic position, when the light sensor detects low-light then it will switch the headlights onto low-beam immediately. The angel eyes and the xenons light up at exactly the same moment. This is essentially they same as if you manually turn the light know to the low-beam position directly from the 'off' position. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
LSIII
Rep
Drives:

The angel eyes pretty much operate as parklights do. When ever the taillights are on, the angel eyes are on.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 03:30 PM   #7
robkap
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

I don't believe the running lights are xenon, but a separate conventional bulb...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well, I believe this thread helps kobechrome alot.

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2006, 03:57 PM   #9
stratstrummer
Private
Rep
Drives: Want a 330i soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyobrien

One thing has always confused me... Are angel eyes stock with the Xenons? Or are they something thats aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2006, 02:26 AM   #10
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Yes, the "Angel Eyes" are the 4 illuminated rings around the headlights. They only come stock with Xenon equipped headlight units though. No angel eyes for halogens on some US model 325i.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2006, 07:22 AM   #11
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Angel eyes are hot. I agree they look best with the xenon's turned off, just the parking lights switched on with possibly the fogs...

I have mine set to most sensitive setting for automatic turn on, so unless its bright and sunny, they come on. On long drives during the day I switch to the parking lights setting if I know my xenon's wont be helping me on my drive and will just be burning their gas for no reason.

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2006, 09:26 AM   #12
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim
and will just be burning their gas for no reason.
Burning their gas ?
Think you need to read up on Xenons.

The gas is just there because its a noble gas and wont react with the metal creating the spark.
      01-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #13
mava330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim
I have mine set to most sensitive setting for automatic turn on, so unless its bright and sunny, they come on.
Is the sensor adjustable? How do you adjust it? I sense that with my e90 unless it's absolutely bright outside my lights are on. Really strange considering other cars I've owned would normally keep them off. Please share how one can adjust the sensitivity. Thanks!
2005 S2000 Silverstone / Red/Black
Appreciate 0