BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
a1javaguy
Rep
Drives: BSM-Coral Red 135i

Pogo And Performance Suspension

When I first got my 135i and drove it on the highway with the stock runflats I was disappointed with the floaty feeling in the supension and the pogo effect over rough roads (I-95 in Philly is not pleasant to drive on, to say the least). I switched out the run bricks and got Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric Tyres, which I really like. They give the car a more planted feel. However I am still not enjoying the pogo effect of the car at highway speeds (65+) on uneven pavement. Traction Control seems to have to kick in on the car when hitting some bumps something I never saw once on my 06 325i. I am just wondering if those with the performance suspension have seen a reduction in the Pogo feel from the car when driving on uneven pavement at highway speeds? Dropping $2500 on a new suspension is not something I really want to do but if it fixes the problem then I might pony up the cash. Is there anyone with the performance suspension who can objectively say that it is a must have upgrade that has transformed the car and that it is well worth the investment, or is it a ho-hum improvement? BMW performance suspension is the only option as I want to keep the warranty in tact.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Gogud
Private
Rep
Drives:

I don't have your answers but a few points to consider. I wouldn't want to make a judgement call on the effect of the Performance Susp. for someone else. I don't notice any pogoing with the stock susp. or after the Performance upgrade but that may be because the roads are not too bad here. What profile tires are on your 325? I have a feeling that the 35 aspect ratio rears and to some extent the 40 fronts are the main reasons my 135 is not as happy on bumpy surfaces than my older 325 with 45s all the way around is. I have installed lighter wheels for a reduction in unsprung weight which should let the susp. react more quickly, but I have read that heavier wheels may actually give a smoother ride.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
a1javaguy
Rep

I had an 06 325i without sports package so they were not low profile tires, they were 205/55. In fact I don't think I've ever owned a car that is this affected by uneven roads. I do love the car a lot but I do want to try to improve the ride.

So it sounds from your post that you have the performance suspension, is that correct? Would you say that it's an excellent upgrade and well worth it? Is the ride much harsher than before? Does the car feel more planted? From what I read the turn in is much sharper with much less body roll would you agree? If you were stock right now would you get the performance suspension again?

Thanks for your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
Dave Mac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

a1javaguy-

You don't need a whole new suspension, just better dampers. You can get a set of AST's or Koni's that will take care of the "pogo" effect.

Dave Mac
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #5
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

What are the warranty concerns with aftermarket struts? You'll save some money going with Koni etc... Our dealer has a lot of performance parts on cars in the showroom, maybe yours has something you can test drive or a friendly neighborhood 1addict perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 05:35 AM   #6
a1javaguy
Rep

I'll need to check out the warranty issues with my dealer if i go aftermarket. They are very professional and fair but very 'by the book'. They are a penske dealer, good guys but very corporate.

Any more members out there with the performance suspension that want to offer up an opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Gogud
Private
Rep
Drives:

The Performance suspension is what the car should have had from the factory. If you are just going to drive around on the street, the Perf. parts are perfect. I chose it based on reports from this site and a BMW rep who drove the perf. setup. I have H&R OE springs on the perf. base (the perf. susp. comes without springs) so what I have is not what a complete factory upgrade would give you. Check my post in this section for the odyssey I went through with the springs. The ride is a bit harsher than stock and it bottoms slightly (front) if I hit a big dip in the road and rubs ever so slightly at full lock. 95+% of the time there is no rubbing at all. My rims are Breytons so the offset is different and the tires are one size larger front and rear. With stock size tires, ride height, and offset, there should be no way you will run into problems. It now corners much flatter and handles transitions better. Do the pin removal mod to get a small amount of negative camber up front.
Appreciate 0