BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
pc83
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i M-Sport

RE 050A Tire Cracking Question

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141717.../shares/qK1X72

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141717.../shares/Q8A3z3

Has anyone experienced similar cracking in their tread channel like this on the 135i OEM Run Flats Bridgestone Potenza RE 050A?

I'm not sure what this is. It looks similar to dry rot based on my image search on google but these tires are only 1.5 years old (Week 23 2014).

Prior to getting winter tires last year I did have the car out with these tires equipped in sub zero temps and even in snow (which very quickly made me get snow tires () which may have caused the softer summer tires to get brittle, but I can't say for sure.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by pc83; 04-08-2016 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: added links to photos and modified text slightly
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Looks like a little dry rot. Not really a big deal. Where are the tires stored? Near any electric motors or outside?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
pc83
Private
United_States
Rep

Tires were stored in plastic bags in my basement not near any Ozone sources. I tried adhering as much as possible to the tire rack storage regiment. Also have a dehumidifier in the basement but it hasn't had any work over the winter.

If it is dry rot is that typically warrantied? I've been looking for reasons to ditch the RFTs but I'd rather the tread life dictate that.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #4
red914
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT

Mine front tires (Bridgestone Potenza) had that but a little worse but mine were at least 2.5 years ago (bought car 2.5 years ago), probably much older. I just replaced mine with some Michelin PSS which aren't on the car yet but I can't wait!

Last edited by red914; 04-09-2016 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: clarification on tires
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #5
pc83
Private
United_States
Rep

Good luck with the MPSS, I was eyeing those as possible replacements but still have tread good life on my tires.

As an update, I called Bridgestone after advice from my local BMW shop and after a follow up in person visit with the local Firestone Repair center I am going to be getting a new set of front tires at a pro-rated discount (plus install fees). I have yet to see what the total cost is going to be but in the end it seems like Bridgestone is going to help out. The store manager couldn't find any dry-rot on the back two tires which is unfortunate as they're more worn than the fronts and would have been in the running for earlier replacement.

I still have 6/32" on the tires according to BMW so hopefully the pro-rated discount helps out. Would have loved to been able to get rid of the RFT's but looks like I am stuck with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc83 View Post
Good luck with the MPSS, I was eyeing those as possible replacements but still have tread good life on my tires.

As an update, I called Bridgestone after advice from my local BMW shop and after a follow up in person visit with the local Firestone Repair center I am going to be getting a new set of front tires at a pro-rated discount (plus install fees). I have yet to see what the total cost is going to be but in the end it seems like Bridgestone is going to help out. The store manager couldn't find any dry-rot on the back two tires which is unfortunate as they're more worn than the fronts and would have been in the running for earlier replacement.

I still have 6/32" on the tires according to BMW so hopefully the pro-rated discount helps out. Would have loved to been able to get rid of the RFT's but looks like I am stuck with them.
I would pony up($$$) and buy some new rear tires too(of the same brand/model) when you go back for the front tire replacements.

Michelin PSS's are such an awesome tire. For me its nothing but Michelin's now. Even for my snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
pc83
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I would pony up($$$) and buy some new rear tires too(of the same brand/model) when you go back for the front tire replacements.

Michelin PSS's are such an awesome tire. For me its nothing but Michelin's now. Even for my snow tires.
Dackelone, thanks for the input and I agree with you in principle. I'm still debating if it's worth getting the RFTs at whatever discount they offer on the front 2 and then having to pay full price for the rear 2. I'll have to price it out between RFT, MPSS or even the ExtremeContact DW which are running on promo now.
Appreciate 0