Ambient temp: 94-96F
Car configuration: STOCK
Miles on car: 2200
Traction control: MDM
Mapping: M mode ON

Top Speed reached: 115mph
Top RPM reached: 7000
Highest Engine Temp: 260F

This was a trial run for my 1M. It was a day of familiarizing myself with the car's unique characteristics on the track and, therefore, it was not pushed to the very limits.

The engine tolerated the incredible FL heat well. No heat soak or limp mode during the entire 8 hour track day of five 25 minute sessions. Very impressed.

The stock tires performed remarkably well. They exhibited excellent adhesion, and minimal slip once we found the appropriate inflation pressures: 36psi front and 38psi rear. I think we can still fine tune this setting however.

The stock brakes have excellent stopping power; however, some degree of fading was noted towards the end of each session, especially as ambient temperatures began to climb.

No charge pipe issues.

Gear changes were smooth and effortless, even under heavy load.

Overall the car performed very well. The track field was populated by the usual Porsche track monsters, Nissan GTR's, the occassional Ferrari (including a 458 GT3 that lost a wheel on the track), Corvettes, an 800hp Camaro, a heavily modified BMW 135i, a few M3's, Audi R8's, an Aston Martin Vantage, several Nissan Z's, and a Formula car....

My major concern was the overall performance of the brakes during such a hot track day. The right rear pad stuck to the disk following one of the sessions, but quickly released after the cool down lap. I was not expecting the degree of fade we experienced.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Get some performance friction PFC-01 track pads, and Castrol Srf brake fluid, and you should be set.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MVO View Post
Just a brief report from the asphalt:

The stock brakes have excellent stopping power; however, some degree of fading was noted towards the end of each session, especially as ambient temperatures began to climb.

My major concern was the overall performance of the brakes during such a hot track day. The right rear pad stuck to the disk following one of the sessions, but quickly released after the cool down lap. I was not expecting the degree of fade we experienced.

Cheers!
Track pads and Motul fluid should be enough. You may also want to consider stainless steel brake lines. The first time I took my e46 M3 to Watkins Glen I had stock pads & fluid. I shredded the pads and melted the dust boot. (heavy car -fast tack).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

No heat soak? This cannot be! I'm surprised you didn't have more issues running the stock pads on track. You said you weren't giving it 100% but did the electronics cut off the fun much? I found MDM to kick in a lot earlier than expected.

I don't suppose you have any video of the 458 passing you? I really want to hear one at WOT!
      08-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
No heat soak? This cannot be! I'm surprised you didn't have more issues running the stock pads on track. You said you weren't giving it 100% but did the electronics cut off the fun much? I found MDM to kick in a lot earlier than expected.

I don't suppose you have any video of the 458 passing you? I really want to hear one at WOT!
Correct. Ran the car at about 80-90% throttle. The MDM did kick in about 30% of the time.

The 458 is a monster. It was the loudest, most visceral aural experience I have witnessed at that track. Sounded even better than the Formula car! Too bad it lost a wheel when it went over the rumble strips.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Disclaimer re: heat soak at this event. Each car was assigned a covered garage in the pits, the shade greatly facilitated cool downs.
Appreciate 0