BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a disturbed shark!!!

Garage List
OEM coinholder/ashtray solution for useless center console cup-holder...

Those of us with nav in our 1M's have noticed that the cup-holder in the center console is pretty much useless unless you keep the armrest up and even then if the cup is tall enough it gets in the way of the shifter; so most have resorted to storing coins/small items instead... Actually even the people with the non-nav interiors would probably have a tough time using the rear-most cup-holder...

I have been looking for an ashtray/coin holder that would fit and look good in the cup-holder area so I can store coins and not have them rattling around. I tried an ashtray from a Mini, a coin holder from a Volvo and a few other cup-holder ashtrays I could find without luck.

But yesterday I stumbled onto a solution that IMHO works well and looks good. I was a passenger in a friend of mine's X5M who happens to be a smoker and his car got delivered without ashtray. He browsed through the accessories catalog and found out that BMW makes a smoker package retrofit for the X3, X5 and 5 series which he ordered and installed. After seeing the cup-holder ashtray in his car yesterday, I started wondering if it would fit in in the 1M.

So today I stopped by my local stealership that happened to have the part in stock and gave it a try. To my surprise it fits very well and looks pretty good at least IMHO. It works very well to hold coins and it is easy to open and take out because of the dual cup design. I don't smoke but I am sure it would work as an actual ashtray as well

From RealOEM.com

Smoker Package - Part # 51952186233

A few quick shots, sorry for the low quality iPhone pics...

I hope you all like it and some find it as useful as I did...

Miula
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

Nice find!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

might be getting this! this is a good find. i've noticed that the center cup holder perfectly fits a grande iced/regular latte/coffee from Starbucks (even with the armreset down), and that's good enough for me...but having the options would be nice! i can't stand change rattling in my car, but the extra storage would be awesome! there's not much available with the 1M at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

I'm afraid to ask the price of this package.

Never mind - just found it at Amazon for $58.50 + $8.95 shipping. Mini-ouch.
      11-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Ein View Post
Nice find!
Thanx, I am just glad I could help my fellow 1M'ers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
might be getting this! this is a good find. i've noticed that the center cup holder perfectly fits a grande iced/regular latte/coffee from Starbucks (even with the armreset down), and that's good enough for me...but having the options would be nice! i can't stand change rattling in my car, but the extra storage would be awesome! there's not much available with the 1M at all.
Good to know about the grande cup (specially when the wife is in the car) but I still don't love the idea of having to raise the armrest everytime I wan't a sip... I use the snap-in cup holder for my coffee and just throw my iPhone on the cubby in front; otherwise it is an excellent fit for my iPhone when not using it for drinks (referring to the snap-in)...

Miula
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
I'm afraid to ask the price of this package.
It is not cheap at approx. $60 minus the CCA discount; but then again it's a luxury vehicle and nothing BMW OEM is cheap...

Miula
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I have the "smoker package" at the front of the console where you have an open cubby and I use the ash tray the same way. A walnut covered door covers it. The additional 12V outlet is also handy at times. I believe it is also available for retrofit but installation would involve removal of the console - not as hard as you might think, takes about an hour.

In the subject cup holder location, I put a 1/2 pint bottle of water. It is hard to get at and small but when I am thirsty, it is still nice to have.

Jim
      11-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I have the "smoker package" at the front of the console where you have an open cubby and I use the ash tray the same way. A walnut covered door covers it. The additional 12V outlet is also handy at times. I believe it is also available for retrofit but installation would involve removal of the console - not as hard as you might think, takes about an hour.
I am sure the parts needed to retrofit the center console ashtray/12V must be a lot more expensive than the smoker package retrofit for the cup-holder which takes 30 seconds to install. I do understand the convenience of a 12V outlet up-front but honestly I have not needed it at all since my V1 is hardwired (took 10 min.) and my iPhone charges of the USB under the armrest. The cover would be nice however the open cuby is very useful, even more so in a car with not much storage space.

Quote:
In the subject cup holder location, I put a 1/2 pint bottle of water. It is hard to get at and small but when I am thirsty, it is still nice to have.
I had noticed the small water bottles fit but it is a pain to get to them. The snap-in cup-holder next to the shifter is much more useful and convenient to use without the size and use restriction of the cup-holder under the armrest, at least IMHO.

Miula
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I think the "smoker package" for the front of the console is about $170. And it's a lot more trouble to install - but not as bad as you might imagine when you hear you have to pull the console. I wouldn't do it either unless you really like the look better (I do) or need the 12V power (I occasionally do).

Jim
      11-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
I think the "smoker package" for the front of the console is about $170. And it's a lot more trouble to install - but not as bad as you might imagine when you hear you have to pull the console. I wouldn't do it either unless you really like the look better (I do) or need the 12V power (I occasionally do).

Jim
Ironically, I came across other forum threads that talk about retrofitting a tray to replace the "useless" cigarette lighter and ashtray. The grass is greener I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Ironically, I came across other forum threads that talk about retrofitting a tray to replace the "useless" cigarette lighter and ashtray. The grass is greener I suppose.
I actually like the open cubby because I don't have the height restriction of the ashtray cover and I think it is more spacious. You do loose the extra 12V and have to make a little bit of effort to keep it organized so it doesn't look like a total mess

Miula
Appreciate 0