BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
rdano
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Faulty Tire sensor?

Couple days ago, the low tire pressure came on in the front left of my tire. I thought I got a flat tire until I got outside, but it didn't look like it was flat. I thought it was the because of the loss of air whenever it gets cold outside.

I put air in it to 36 PSI, and the warning went off. The next morning, I start the car and I saw the damn warning again. There's no way in hell that it lost all the air that fast, so I checked it again with the air gauge in the gas station and it's down to 20 PSI.

Are you guys having the same problem? I'm tired of putting air in it every morning, and the tire felt like it didn't lose any air. I checked the tire if it also has something stuck on it, but there's none.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
You have a leak, take it to a tire shop.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

First check your tires for the proper tire pressure(s). I think your problem is that your car still has the old learned "target" pressure. The system is a dumb system... so it only knows what the last programed "target" was. When you add in more air pressure... the system will not know it.

THEN... with the car stopped(but the engine running), hold and reset the TPMS via the BC turn signal stalk or thru your iDrive menu. Then drive off when it says something like "resetting". It should only take a few hundred meters(if that!) of driving before the yellow light goes out.

IF you try resetting the TPMS while driving it will not reset. Ask me how I know this! lol

Also... if your tires ARE losing air pressure... a very common thing is the 11mm nut on the metal valve stems tend to loosen up. They only need to be snug! You can break them if you over torque the nuts. I think the specs is something like 4 Nm - very little torque!!

On a related note...

Run Flat tires vs Normal tires - dealer cut away carcus...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412903
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
rdano
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
First check your tires for the proper tire pressure(s). I think your problem is that your car still has the old learned "target" pressure. The system is a dumb system... so it only knows what the last programed "target" was. When you add in more air pressure... the system will not know it.

THEN... with the car stopped(but the engine running), hold and reset the TPMS via the BC turn signal stalk or thru your iDrive menu. Then drive off when it says something like "resetting". It should only take a few hundred meters(if that!) of driving before the yellow light goes out.

IF you try resetting the TPMS while driving it will not reset. Ask me how I know this! lol

Also... if your tires ARE losing air pressure... a very common thing is the 11mm nut on the metal valve stems tend to loosen up. They only need to be snug! You can break them if you over torque the nuts. I think the specs is something like 4 Nm - very little torque!!

On a related note...

Run Flat tires vs Normal tires - dealer cut away carcus...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412903
Thanks man, I didn't know I had to reset the TPMS every single time I add more air into it. So far with 30 degrees every morning, I've gone 2 days without a warning message til I reset it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdano View Post
Thanks man, I didn't know I had to reset the TPMS every single time I add more air into it. So far with 30 degrees every morning, I've gone 2 days without a warning message til I reset it.
Yea... its a "dumb" TPMS system. You must reset the base target pressure so the TPMS computer knows what the pressure should be.

I think you will be fine now.

G.L.
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

If you're down to 20psi by a manual gauge, you have a leak.
      10-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
rdano
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yea... its a "dumb" TPMS system. You must reset the base target pressure so the TPMS computer knows what the pressure should be.

G.L.
Dackel

The low tire warning came on again, and had to fill more air for the 4th time this week. This is frustrating. I already scheduled a service for it so they can check it out. I'm not sure if I should try to tighten up the cap just like what everybody recommend, or just leave it up to the dealership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
It kept on going to 20 psi by a manual gauge man, and how do I know exactly where the leak is? I've looked around the tires, and I don't see any nails or whatever. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Had the same thing happening. It was just another reason to get 19" PSS

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdano
Quote:

G.L.
Dackel

The low tire warning came on again, and had to fill more air for the 4th time this week. This is frustrating. I already scheduled a service for it so they can check it out. I'm not sure if I should try to tighten up the cap just like what everybody recommend, or just leave it up to the dealership?

Quote:
It kept on going to 20 psi by a manual gauge man, and how do I know exactly where the leak is? I've looked around the tires, and I don't see any nails or whatever. Any ideas?
Soapy water with the wheel off is a start. Spray everything down and watch for bubbles. Check the torque on the TPMS nuts also.
      10-31-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
rdano
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Had the same thing happening. It was just another reason to get 19" PSS
What did you end up doing?

Quote:
Soapy water with the wheel off is a start. Spray everything down and watch for bubbles. Check the torque on the TPMS nuts also.
I'll definitely try that as soon as I get another warning. I just came from the dealership yesterday, and they said they already took care of it. If this keep happening, I'll just get another set….
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 06:05 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdano View Post
What did you end up doing?

I'll definitely try that as soon as I get another warning. I just came from the dealership yesterday, and they said they already took care of it. If this keep happening, I'll just get another set….

I was planning on switching to 19" instead of anyways . so I just got 4 new tires and 4 new wheels

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

@rdano any updates? Another thought is a cracked alloy wheel. I suspect you have a leak since you keep loosing air pressure.

I would suggest you go to Radial Tire in Silver Spring, Md. Ask for Sam, the owner. He will take care of this. He is a pro.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
rdano
Private
Rep

Quote:
@rdano any updates? Another thought is a cracked alloy wheel. I suspect you have a leak since you keep loosing air pressure.

I would suggest you go to Radial Tire in Silver Spring, Md. Ask for Sam, the owner. He will take care of this. He is a pro.

Dackel
So far no tire pressure warning, I'll keep you updated though. I'll keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0