BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2016, 04:33 AM   #1
98BRZY
Registered
Rep
Drives: 125i e82

wheel sizing

hey guys listen I've heard from heaps of people that you can get really good offset on the 1 series I've got a 128i and i want to know what the best offset is and how wide and big i can go ? sounds like a stupid question but i don't know where to find out ?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

when you say "good offset" what do you mean by good;

offset is to do with how the wheel fits under the arches with respect to the rim and brake/suspension components

There is a "correct" offset...

And depending on what tire combination you want to use with a specific rim size, determines the correct offset

offset is also determined by the manufacturer

changing offset from spec means you have modified the car and hence need to inform your insurance company
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
when you say "good offset" what do you mean by good;

offset is to do with how the wheel fits under the arches with respect to the rim and brake/suspension components

There is a "correct" offset...

And depending on what tire combination you want to use with a specific rim size, determines the correct offset

offset is also determined by the manufacturer

changing offset from spec means you have modified the car and hence need to inform your insurance company
Do people actually go and inform their insurance company of every single modification made to their car? I mean, I swap wheels in the winter to my winter wheels + tires that aren't OEM. You can't possibly mean that I need to inform my insurance company about that...

As for the other points, definitely agree. "good offset" doesn't make that much sense to me unless you mean "good" is having the wheels/tire as flush to the fender as possible. Otherwise, I often hear the opposite, that is the 1 series have fenders and wheel axles such that the offsets required are very inconvenient and you need much higher offsets to fit a given tire size than other cars (e.g. compared to e9x, 1M, M3, etc) in the rear. It's bad in that sense that wheel options that fit properly seem more limited. Also the difference in offsets from front wheels and rear wheels required to fit makes it harder to run wide square wheels and rotate unless you run spacers.

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Do not listen to the dude in Canada. Do what you wish and have fun!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #5
AlexR6
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98BRZY View Post
hey guys listen I've heard from heaps of people that you can get really good offset on the 1 series I've got a 128i and i want to know what the best offset is and how wide and big i can go ? sounds like a stupid question but i don't know where to find out ?
maybe in the "wheels & tires" section?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #6
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I bought some Alufelgen wheels for the wife's 2011 128i and the offsets were ET49 front and ET52 rear, as best I can remember.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 08:02 AM   #7
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

prior to what another poster stated, feel free NOT to listen to me, I've driven cars for 40 years, 35 in the UK, I've had a plethora of cars and worked on all of them, Ford, Porsche, GM and BM (albeit BM's only 6 months)

So, as for insurance, the onus is on the driver to inform the company of ANYTHING that can effect the safety or spec of the car away from OEM, check your policy.

The upshot is, if in an accident/claim where the insurance are going to want to get out of it, they will check your car and deny your claim.

NOW, whether they do or don't is another matter, for a small fender bender I doubt it, but in a severe injury or death, they will. You choice as they say is all yours.. Also insurance companies vary from country to country. your best to check in your state where you would stand. It is your car, your insurance and no-one eles's

Personally I have in my youth not advised of changes, but I got lucky, now adays I always ask, and 9 times out of 10 its fine. I'd rather not chance 40 grands worth of car because I tried to save a few bucks on insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fume View Post
Do people actually go and inform their insurance company of every single modification made to their car? I mean, I swap wheels in the winter to my winter wheels + tires that aren't OEM. You can't possibly mean that I need to inform my insurance company about that...

As for the other points, definitely agree. "good offset" doesn't make that much sense to me unless you mean "good" is having the wheels/tire as flush to the fender as possible. Otherwise, I often hear the opposite, that is the 1 series have fenders and wheel axles such that the offsets required are very inconvenient and you need much higher offsets to fit a given tire size than other cars (e.g. compared to e9x, 1M, M3, etc) in the rear. It's bad in that sense that wheel options that fit properly seem more limited. Also the difference in offsets from front wheels and rear wheels required to fit makes it harder to run wide square wheels and rotate unless you run spacers.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #8
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I hear ya,
to me "good" your saying cosmetically not necessarily correct
having the wrong offset can do more harm than good "possibly"
there are plenty of knwoledgeable peeps here who can advise on that

good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fume View Post
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Your experience driving in the UK and Canada is not relevant to US drivers, and may not be relevant to Australian drivers (such as the OP).

If you expect your modifications to be covered by your insurance policy, then yes - you need to notify your insurer and have a rider on the policy. But this is ridiculous - no one is going to be denied a claim because their wheel offsets differ from OE spec.

Last edited by Bimmer-Bob; 02-01-2016 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #10
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Your experience driving in the UK and Canada is not relevant to US drivers, and may not be relevant to Australian drivers (such as the OP).

If you expect your modifications to be covered by your insurance policy, then yes - you need to notify your insurer and have a rider on the policy. But this is ridiculous - no one is going to be denied a claim because their wheel offsets differ from OE spec.
^^^This! The wheels on my wife's 128i as previously mentioned have the correct offsets. They're just larger (both in width and diameter) than OE wheels and are the same spec as on a 135. I have never mentioned the aftermarket wheels on any of my cars to my insurance agents because they've never indicated it was necessary, as the OEMs cost more to replace than the aftermarkets. That, and I've seen many brand-new cars in BMW showrooms with aftermarket wheels put on by the dealer and added as additional accessories on a separate window sticker.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey

Last edited by RoundelM3; 02-02-2016 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 07:03 AM   #11
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
prior to what another poster stated, feel free NOT to listen to me, I've driven cars for 40 years, 35 in the UK, I've had a plethora of cars and worked on all of them, Ford, Porsche, GM and BM (albeit BM's only 6 months)

So, as for insurance, the onus is on the driver to inform the company of ANYTHING that can effect the safety or spec of the car away from OEM, check your policy.

The upshot is, if in an accident/claim where the insurance are going to want to get out of it, they will check your car and deny your claim.

NOW, whether they do or don't is another matter, for a small fender bender I doubt it, but in a severe injury or death, they will. You choice as they say is all yours.. Also insurance companies vary from country to country. your best to check in your state where you would stand. It is your car, your insurance and no-one eles's

Personally I have in my youth not advised of changes, but I got lucky, now adays I always ask, and 9 times out of 10 its fine. I'd rather not chance 40 grands worth of car because I tried to save a few bucks on insurance
This is not the case in the US, there isn't even a way to declare modifications to your car that im aware of unless you want to be covered for the extra value of the modifications.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #12
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
there is a wheel-fitment sticky..

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0