BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

09-19-2016, 06:53 AM   #1
ugabuga
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i Convertible

Why is there no section for the N51 engined 128i's like mine?

Hey all just wondering how come there is no section for the N51 engined 128s like mine?

may be we should start one
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 07:15 AM   #2
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
No turbos, no waste gates, no bad cylinder head design, a very long emissions warranty, and less performance parts available means not so much to talk about.
      09-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_thompson View Post
No turbos, no waste gates, no bad cylinder head design, a very long emissions warranty, and less performance parts available means not so much to talk about.
When you know you don't know what you're talking about.

OP - The N51 is basically a N52 with subtle design changes (A Bit less compression, 3-Stage DISA, and other emission related components)

All mods from a N52 work with a N51, but some we don't need to do (like a 3-Stage DISA because we already have one from factory).

There is still ways to make power, and easy power. IE - I'm making more power than most N52 engines on this forum. Which is why I laugh when stupid information comes out.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10538.50
      09-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
E82IsTheWay!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post

OP - The N51 is basically a N52 with subtle design changes (A Bit less compression, 3-Stage DISA, and other emission related components)

All mods from a N52 work with a N51, but some we don't need to do (like a 3-Stage DISA because we already have one from factory).

There is still ways to make power, and easy power. IE - I'm making more power than most N52 engines on this forum. Which is why I laugh when stupid information comes out.
just curious.

how much power and what dyno?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82IsTheWay!
Quote:

just curious.

how much power and what dyno?
241/217 on a dynojet
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
241/217 on a dynojet
AA headers, 3IM, intake/exhaust, tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
AA headers, 3IM, intake/exhaust, tune?
It's a N51, it's already there.

Switching tuners here soon and going Race Gas, but yes AA Headers/Tune, Intake, 3" Exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #8
RyanDavies
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i MSport

*exhaust with the merge in a non-Axiom approved location .

#omgliketotesnotorque
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavies View Post
*exhaust with the merge in a non-Axiom approved location .

#omgliketotesnotorque
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=511
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #10
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
It's funny we're fighting over 4" of placement.

Guess you really need to be nit pick when you're proven wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
It's funny we're fighting over 4" of placement.

Guess you really need to be nit pick when you're proven wrong.
Proven wrong how? Your collector - the actual merge is near to the first bend, I still have the message where you told me "I placed it as far back from before the first bend as possible"

No worries though, I regret helping you in any way, and it won't happen again.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #12
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Proven wrong how? Your collector - the actual merge is near to the first bend, I still have the message where you told me "I placed it as far back from before the first bend as possible"

No worries though, I regret helping you in any way, and it won't happen again.
"Help"

I still did what I wanted to do. You told me to place it further back and I ignored you for a reason.

Placing the merge directly off the header isn't possible while utilizing OE mounts.

Still, it's a hell of a lot closer than to the rear differential.

It's kind of funny. I've been going about my own way with modifying the car for an actual purpose for over 3 years. Pretty sure you haven't contributed to anything significant other than your $0.02 that has been backed up by a Dyno. PS - Still waiting for the E91 to dyno his car so he can show me
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #13
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
"Help"

I still did what I wanted to do. You told me to place it further back and I ignored you for a reason.

Placing the merge directly off the header isn't possible while utilizing OE mounts.

It's kind of funny. I've been going about my own way with modifying the car for an actual purpose for over 3 years. Pretty sure you haven't contributed to anything significant other than your $0.02 that has been backed up by a Dyno. PS - Still waiting for the E91 to dyno his car so he can show me
And in 3 years, you didn't figure out that your exhaust was:

1. Different from an N52
2. Didn't utilize high flow cats
3. Was the reason your power was lower than similarly modded N52s.

And you just randomly decided to switch to BPC software because
1. You DIDN'T ask me for my opinion on the software and subsequently talk to BPC ypurself
2. Realize that the high rpm potential of the intake manifold was being linited by the DISA valve closing, and personally asked Bob to change it.

Dude, you're so petty and pathetic, EVERYONE sees it. Like I said, I have the PMs from YOU asking ME for my input and not the other way around. No worries though, I already established that I refuse to help or share information with you or anyone else in the forum but a select few.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom
Quote:
"Help"

And in 3 years, you didn't figure out that your exhaust was:

1. Different from an N52
2. Didn't utilize high flow cats
3. Was the reason your power was lower than similarly modded N52s.

And you just randomly decided to switch to BPC software because
1. You DIDN'T ask me for my opinion on the software and subsequently talk to BPC ypurself
2. Realize that the high rpm potential of the intake manifold was being linited by the DISA valve closing, and personally asked Bob to change it.

Dude, you're so petty and pathetic, EVERYONE sees it. Like I said, I have the PMs from YOU asking ME for my input and not the other way around. No worries though, I already established that I refuse to help or share information with you or anyone else in the forum but a select few.
Yes. Pathetic. That's me.

Someone who actually drives their car instead of throwing cool wheels on it and sits back behind a keyboard to post about everything

I have actual results to show. They're sitting at home.

Where are yours?

PS - Exhaust different meaning possibly having different secondary cell counts, which is still undetermined.

Who also discovered about the off-throttle behavior of the car? Was that you too who decided to ask questions and post about it?

Lets not forget about your STX thread you posted back in 2015, and thought a E92 could compete against an E82
You thought you'd require a retune for deleting secondaries

Trust me, you come off as high and mighty now. But anyone can behind a keyboard.

Meet me out at an autocross or track day sometime. @3002_tii and I would love to play

Last edited by Kgolf31; 09-20-2016 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #15
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Knock it off with the dick measuring contest
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #16
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Pathetic. That's me.

Someone who actually drives their car instead of throwing cool wheels on it and sits back behind a keyboard to post about everything

I have actual results to show. They're sitting at home.

Where are yours?
Cool wheels like Apex ARC8s? Or do you mean results showing the difference in acceleration/Trap Speed of my lightweight wheels vs larger 19s?

Results like my 10 different dynos I've done, including an intake dyno comparison test?

Yeah, totally not those.

Quote:
PS - Exhaust different meaning possibly having different secondary cell counts, which is still undetermined.
Sure thing.

Quote:
Who also discovered about the off-throttle behavior of the car? Was that you too who decided to ask questions and post about it?

Lets not forget about your STX thread you posted back in 2015, and thought a E92 could compete against an E82
You thought you'd require a retune for deleting secondaries

Trust me, you come off as high and mighty now. But anyone can behind a keyboard.

Meet me out at an autocross or track day sometime. @3002_tii and I would love to play
You mean 2 different tuners and an rocket scientist/aerospace engineer don't have any clue of what they are speaking about? It's was actually THEIR suggestion (as well as people like Hass) who stated that it would be wise to have the exhaust cam timing altered when the exhaust was modified.

And anytime you want to make it to Florida to run, I will NEVER say no to a challenge. FYI, the guys who run in my PRIVATE club also run in SCCA pro Solo and I'm sure you might even know one of them - he's been to nationals himself. I don't know why you think talent is exclusive to yourself. Knowledge (or lack thereof) certainly isn't.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #17
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Cool wheels like Apex ARC8s? Or do you mean results showing the difference in acceleration/Trap Speed of my lightweight wheels vs larger 19s?

Results like my 10 different dynos I've done, including an intake dyno comparison test?

Yeah, totally not those.

Sure thing.

You mean 2 different tuners and an rocket scientist/aerospace engineer don't have any clue of what they are speaking about? It's was actually THEIR suggestion (as well as people like Hass) who stated that it would be wise to have the exhaust cam timing altered when the exhaust was modified.

And anytime you want to make it to Florida to run, I will NEVER say no to a challenge. FYI, the guys who run in my PRIVATE club also run in SCCA pro Solo and I'm sure you might even know one of them - he's been to nationals himself. I don't know why you think talent is exclusive to yourself. Knowledge (or lack thereof) certainly isn't.
It doesn't take an expert to show that 19s are heavier.

Who cares about a Private club? Am I suppose to be impressed? You have results to show?

Also, why don't you mention names? Ian Stewart? David Marcus? Yes, they are both extremely fast. And I lost to them both at Nationals.

The thing is, just because you've been on the board now you think you're everything. Not hard to see that before you posted asking what a N51 is. Using M parts on a Non-M...I can go on and on.

Just because you hear second hand information, you think you own it now and broadcast it as your own.

Funny to see information posted BY YOU, showing that Y-Pipe should be as close to the manifold as possible, and threads about reducing backpressure:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...56&postcount=5

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964717

Anyways, I'm pretty much done trying to debate with someone who has absolutely no knowledge outside of a Y pipe debate.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #18
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't take an expert to show that 19s are heavier.

Who cares about a Private club? Am I suppose to be impressed? You have results to show?

Also, why don't you mention names? Ian Stewart? David Marcus? Yes, they are both extremely fast. And I lost to them both at Nationals.

The thing is, just because you've been on the board now you think you're everything. Not hard to see that before you posted asking what a N51 is. Using M parts on a Non-M...I can go on and on.

Just because you hear second hand information, you think you own it now and broadcast it as your own.

Funny to see information posted BY YOU, showing that Y-Pipe should be as close to the manifold as possible, and threads about reducing backpressure:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...56&postcount=5

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964717

Anyways, I'm pretty much done trying to debate with someone who has absolutely no knowledge outside of a Y pipe debate.
There was never any debate kid, I never asked you for help on these matters.

Yes 19's are heavier, but how much of a difference do they make? Guess who did their own testing?

Yes an exhaust can make power, guess who helped others (including paying for dyno time) possible?

Sure intakes make power, guess which one does makes the most?

Of course you can carry power over 6500RPM with the 3 stage manifold with an additional 10whp possible over other tunes, I wonder who thought it was possible?

Outside of running autocross, what do you know? Again, for someone who you state is so clueless (me) you sure have sent me a lot of questions over the last year - including how to construct your exhaust.

Next, you'll see my post about the exhaust merger was from 2013 - long before I did extensive research and asked people with more experience than I, for their expertise.
You did none of that.

Finally, That link you posted was refuting that backpressure was beneficial in any way. If you had taken a moment to read what you were copying and pasting, you could have easily prevented what is becoming a long string of ignorant posts.

Simply put, you're ignorant and you're complacent with remaining so. I will always do my best to continue to learn and share my knowledge and experience with those who want to learn themselves. So run off and Take Davies with you, he seems content being in your shadow and not accomplishing anything on his own.

Last edited by Taskmaster; 09-20-2016 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #19
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
There was never any debate kid, I never asked you for help on these matters.

Yes 19's are heavier, but how much of a difference do they make? Guess who did their own testing?

Yes an exhaust can make power, guess who helped others (including paying for dyno time) possible?

Sure intakes make power, guess which one does makes the most?

Of course you can carry power over 6500RPM with the 3 stage manifold with an additional 10whp possible over other tunes, I wonder who thought it was possible?

Outside of running autocross, what do you know? Again, for someone who you state is so clueless (me) you sure have sent me a lot of questions over the last year - including how to construct your exhaust.

Next, you'll see my post about the exhaust merger was from 2013 - long before I did extensive research and asked people with more experience than I, for their expertise.
You did none of that.

Finally, That link you posted was refuting that backpressure was beneficial in any way. If you had taken a moment to read what you were copying and pasting, you could have easily prevented what is becoming a long string of ignorant posts.

Simply put, you're ignorant and you're complacent with remaining so. I will always do my best to continue to learn and share my knowledge and experience with those who want to learn themselves. So run off and Take Davies with you, he seems content being in your shadow and not accomplishing anything on his own.
Lol.

Ok, best of luck trying to set up any suspension components, since you want to tag me in your posts. Along with differential selection, or you know...how to actually drive and not crash into other cars while on your phone.

Trust me, really lost a valuable data source.

Thank you for letting me know that my 16.5 lb K8Rs are indeed quicker than a 19s 25 lb wheel. WOAH. I WOULD HAVE NEVER KNOWN!

I will give credit where credit is due, the 3 DISA is impressive. But everything else you're digging.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 03:25 PM   #20
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Lol.

Ok, best of luck trying to set up any suspension components, since you want to tag me in your posts. Along with differential selection, or you know...how to actually drive and not crash into other cars while on your phone.

Trust me, really lost a valuable data source.

Thank you for letting me know that my 16.5 lb K8Rs are indeed quicker than a 19s 25 lb wheel. WOAH. I WOULD HAVE NEVER KNOWN!

I will give credit where credit is due, the 3 DISA is impressive. But everything else you're digging.
You mean asking you what spring rates you were running (not to worry, I figured out what I will run on my own) But I most certainly didn't seek your advice on anything mechanical or on any matter of driver skill - and I won't.

And again, you claimed I did no testing/data/results of my own, yet here we are arguing about changes I hypothesized about, changes YOU made based on that.

But yeah, I'm totally digging myself in with that 12whp gain you made off my idea, and that new software your upgrading too because (among other things) my idea.

Carry on dude.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #21
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You mean asking you what spring rates you were running (not to worry, I figured out what I will run on my own) But I most certainly didn't seek your advice on anything mechanical or on any matter of driver skill - and I won't.

And again, you claimed I did no testing/data/results of my own, yet here we are arguing about changes I hypothesized about, changes YOU made based on that.

But yeah, I'm totally digging myself in with that 12whp gain you made off my idea, and that new software your upgrading too because (among other things) my idea.

Carry on dude.
Have fun running those rates because they are a pretty awful rate. I'll be changing mine this off-season after learning the car more and doing more drastic things.

You're probably someone who believes BMWs don't need a rear bar either.

Yes, I decided to buy a Burns Merge (after you told me to have a shop fabricate one) a Vibrant Resonator, and a Borla XR-1 Muffler was all your idea. Got it. Remember when you told me to have the merge farther back? Wow...that 12 whp really sucks.

I made one change...a 3" exhaust that was in the plans since I had the car and have been able to trailer it. I've been searching for a new tuner to fix throttle hang...and that solution certainly didn't come from you.

But whatever, my success with the car, was all due to you. Thank you. I should add you as a sponsor. Do you have vinyl stickers?

Bring your car out to Nationals, we can settle everything there next year. See ya in 2017.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #22
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Have fun running those rates because they are a pretty awful rate. I'll be changing mine this off-season after learning the car more and doing more drastic things.
Yeah, I'll take Harold's word for it.

Quote:
You're probably someone who believes BMWs don't need a rear bar either.
I'm not running an LSD or subframe bushings, so....

Quote:
Yes, I decided to buy a Burns Merge (after you told me to have a shop fabricate one) a Vibrant Resonator, and a Borla XR-1 Muffler was all your idea. Got it. Remember when you told me to have the merge farther back? Wow...that 12 whp really sucks.
I can't believe you're serious with this - I had a Burns merger which I sold to none other than - drumroll please - 3002ti. It was originally going to be used in my own exhaust until my plans changed.

I was going to see if I could have a complete, low cost exhaust solution for everyone. Such a terrible guy I am.

If I told you to go with a shop built one, it's because in the I either wanted to save YOU money and the difference isn't really that large. Finally, NO ONE IS SAYING PEAK POWER WOULD BE LOWER.

For FUCKS sake, it's like you're not understanding what was said MULTIPLE times over. Hass said it, I said it - literally everyone who has built an exhaust knows it. You can place the merger further back and create the same peak power will creating more power under the curve (torque)

WHO WOULD GET UPSET OVER THAT?!

Quote:
I made one change...a 3" exhaust that was in the plans since I had the car and have been able to trailer it. I've been searching for a new tuner to fix throttle hang...and that solution certainly didn't come from you.
Uh huh, so the questions in regards to BPC's tune were all about the throttle hang - and your exhaust, all your idea which is why you asked me for suggestions?

Quote:
But whatever, my success with the car, was all due to you. Thank you. I should add you as a sponsor. Do you have vinyl stickers?

Bring your car out to Nationals, we can settle everything there next year. See ya in 2017.
I never took credit for what you obviously worked for, nor do I honestly care. I already offered to take you up on a "driver's challenge" on my nearly stock car anytime you were in Florida, I don't know why you're moving the goal post now.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread