BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

PPI on an 08 135i..

Hi All,

I was interested in this 08 135i with 66k miles, and had a PPI report that lists the following:

- Power steering fluid leak past cap (not excessive at this time)
- Engine oil leaking from engine oil filter housing extension. Recommend replacing gasket.
- Engine oil leaking between transmission bell housing and engine. Recommend replacing rear mail seal.
- Engine oil leaking from oil pan gasket. It is not excessive at this time, so no need to replace at this time.
- Engine oil leaking from air intake tubing. Leak is excessive and covers most of intake tube. Recommend replacing PCV valve.

At first thought, this car looks like it needs thousands in repair (oil pan/rear main seal/OFHG/ gaskets), but reading through a lot of posts here it seems as though the best case scenario would be the following repairs:

1) OFHG replacement => This may be the source of all oil leaks found.
2) PCV valve replacement.
3) Fix Power steering fluid leak at cap.

Would this be your gut feeling too? How expensive are (2) and (3)? I wish the shop would have spent more time during the PPI to clean up all the oil in those areas, and test to see if the culprit is just the OFHG, especially since the car only has 66-67k miles. If indeed all those areas are leaking, I would definitely pass on this car.

Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Rear main seal leaks are very uncommon on that vehicle. Oil filter housings and valve covers are super common so those are a safe bet to fix most/all of the issues. The oil pan is also super common but if I were repairing it you need to start at the top and work your way down.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks VW! That's my understanding as well, that the OFHG and VCG are typically the first culprits of an oil leak, especially on a car with this many miles. They are easy and cheap ones to have fixed. The oil pan one is also very common, but I've read those come typically after 100k miles. This one is a much more expensive repair. That's why I wished the shop spent more time during the PPI to really track the oil leak source (they didn't mention VCG), but I know it's just a $200 PPI where they go over everything and not just a "fix the oil leaks" diagnostics. If indeed this car needs a new oil pan gasket, I'll pass for sure ($$$). The others are debatable for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Assuming this is a automatic transmission. My wife's 09 328i just had the oil pan gasket replaced, 75,000 miles. Looking at where the oil was I too thought it could be the pan and
rear main seal since I saw oil in the bellhousing inspection hole and around the pan. Just
needed the pan gasket but a lot has to be moved out of the way to get to it.

If driven hard in corners the power steering will weep from the cap. There is no "O" ring and there is a vent hole. I saw a 1 series race car that put a black terry cloth wrist sweat band around the cap to catch any weeping fluid. Mine never weeps with street driving but did when I took it to a autocross.

I would guess about $700 at a Indy to do OPG and OFH gasket.
ER CP, Forge DV, Wagner FMIC, PE, Maddad Mid, ER Sports OC, BMS OCC, RB Check Valve, AFE intake, Cobb AP3- Stage 1+ drive, BMW SS, PS Springs, Yellow Koni external, M3 Control Arms F & R, M3 Strut Brace, M3 Sub Bushing, Rouge Toe, Dinan Camber Plate and Rear Shock Mts., E93 M3 front sway bar, Mfactory Diff, Arc 8 PSS 235/40/18-265/35/18
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep

Another $100 for PCV valve and and PCV vent hose so less than $1,000 for all and you
are good to go another 60,000.
Attached Images

ER CP, Forge DV, Wagner FMIC, PE, Maddad Mid, ER Sports OC, BMS OCC, RB Check Valve, AFE intake, Cobb AP3- Stage 1+ drive, BMW SS, PS Springs, Yellow Koni external, M3 Control Arms F & R, M3 Strut Brace, M3 Sub Bushing, Rouge Toe, Dinan Camber Plate and Rear Shock Mts., E93 M3 front sway bar, Mfactory Diff, Arc 8 PSS 235/40/18-265/35/18
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Assuming this is a automatic transmission. My wife's 09 328i just had the oil pan gasket replaced, 75,000 miles. Looking at where the oil was I too thought it could be the pan and
rear main seal since I saw oil in the bellhousing inspection hole and around the pan. Just
needed the pan gasket but a lot has to be moved out of the way to get to it.

If driven hard in corners the power steering will weep from the cap. There is no "O" ring and there is a vent hole. I saw a 1 series race car that put a black terry cloth wrist sweat band around the cap to catch any weeping fluid. Mine never weeps with street driving but did when I took it to a autocross.

I would guess about $700 at a Indy to do OPG and OFH gasket.
Thanks! I always thought OPG would cost more, especially since it requires 6 hrs according to some here. Are the PCV valve and vent hose an easy DIY?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #7
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep

PCV valve and hose are easy to do. Take off the cowl and cabin filter housing, remove the engine cover and you have access to everything.
This may help,

www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993295
Appreciate 0