BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #23
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

You local auto-part store should have a decent selection of tire repair kits. Even BMW offers a repair kit from what I've heard of a pump that can inflate a goo of sorts to fix any hole. The professionals disagree with any of these methods as the goo can cause a balance problem and the external tire plug can see problems as well but when your on the side of the road that's a better an cheaper alternative that a tow and a tire shop plugging it from the inside which is what they consider the better method.
      09-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #24
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

First of all, IMHO there's nothing wrong with mixing tires. Yes, the RFTs are stiffer.

Most of us don't like RFTs. So my advice is to let the RFTs wear out, then replace them, possibly with the same tires as your fronts.

Most of us on non-RFTs carry some kit. I use Green Slime because it claims it can be washed out of the tire, so it can be repaired.

And the pressure warning (TPMS) works regardless of the type of tire, provided the appropriate stem (with transmitter) is installed and you don't use a metal cap.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #25
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

I have a Continental repair kit I bought from Tirerack.com, seem well designed but never had to use it
      09-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #26
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I will prolly ditch mine but my CPO with 12k came with 4 brand new Pirelli P-Zero RFT's installed. Might be awhile
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #27
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandenhaute View Post
I have a Continental repair kit I bought from Tirerack.com, seem well designed but never had to use it
Be aware of the sealant; that kit warns that its sealant may cause damage to the TPMS sensor. Other sealants like slime indicate that they are TPMS safe:

http://www.slime.com/shop/safety-spair-70005/
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #28
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ
First of all, IMHO there's nothing wrong with mixing tires. Yes, the RFTs are stiffer.

Most of us don't like RFTs. So my advice is to let the RFTs wear out, then replace them, possibly with the same tires as your fronts.

Most of us on non-RFTs carry some kit. I use Green Slime because it claims it can be washed out of the tire, so it can be repaired.

And the pressure warning (TPMS) works regardless of the type of tire, provided the appropriate stem (with transmitter) is installed and you don't use a metal cap.
Agreed. Unless you're tracking or driving in extreme conditions you won't notice any difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #29
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri View Post
guys,

have anyone here used a different brand of tires on the front wheels and the back wheels ? same spec size but just different brand ?
My pre-owned bmw 135 comes with Dunlop SP in the front (non-run flat) and Bridgestones Runflat (original) on the rears.
the previous owner according to the dealer destroyed the front tires so he replaced it with non-run flats.
Anything i should be concern on this regards ?
Running different tires front and back can cause DSC to trigger when it shouldn't. It won't hurt anything, but feeling the corners of the car pulsating when mid-turn can be a bit disconcerting. I wouldn't recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #30
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe (T. Silver)

I have a mixed setup as well. Fronts are original Bridgestones and rears are Michelins. Have two yrs on this set up and have had no problems. About to change out the fronts, might go with Goodrich Comp-2s. With staggered fitment, you can find yourself in this situation where the fronts or rears wear out before the others. And unless you can afford to change out all four, you might be running two different brands front to back. What I would not do is run different tires on the same axle. IE, two different brands on the front or rear.
Appreciate 0