E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Interesting RDS/iDrive bug

11-14-2005, 08:43 AM   #1
GoBonesGo
What do you do when you see a spaceman?
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG/Terra E90 335i Step

Interesting RDS/iDrive bug

I'm curious to see if anyone else has seen something like this.

After turning RDS on, I set a couple of presets on the FM band. Most of the stations transmit only their call sign (KCLB, etc.), so that's what shows up as the preset. One local station, though, transmits current song and artist information and no call sign (at least, the iDrive doesn't show the call sign). When I set that station as a preset, the current song title (I Alone, by Live) was somehow "mistaken" for the call sign and is displayed in the presets instead of the frequency or call sign for the station.

So now my presets say, 1. KCLB 2. I Alone - 3. KROQ, etc.

I've tried turning RDS off and resetting the station, but no joy.

This doesn't really annoy me; I just find it a bit curious. Anyone else experience this?

Charlie
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35_2_330

After turning RDS on, I set a couple of presets on the FM band. Most of the stations transmit only their call sign (KCLB, etc.), so that's what shows up as the preset. One local station, though, transmits current song and artist information and no call sign (at least, the iDrive doesn't show the call sign). When I set that station as a preset, the current song title (I Alone, by Live) was somehow "mistaken" for the call sign and is displayed in the presets instead of the frequency or call sign for the station.

This doesn't really annoy me; I just find it a bit curious. Anyone else experience this?

Charlie
Heh ........... the stations here in the bay area don't even display their currect call-sign. So I have Ashanti, MARIAH, Go 96.5, Alice (Well this is actually correct) and Jill.

Yes it was set when no songs were playing.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 12:40 PM   #3
itznin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:

Charlie
Same here.......... it blows
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xens
Heh ........... the stations here in the bay area don't even display their currect call-sign. So I have Ashanti, MARIAH, Go 96.5, Alice (Well this is actually correct) and Jill.

Yes it was set when no songs were playing.
No songs need to be playing, they still dispay the last song played.
The RDS sucks in this car and I have shut it off, the scrolling is poor and the stations are all FUBAR, no way to reset them either. BMW keep up the good work with the software, you must have some of the best coders over there working for you....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
nostrum09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Same with me. I got some station's morning show title so it only shows up as 6am-10am.

I'm not so sure how much this is BMW's problem more than issues with stations implementing RDS (though I would hope BMW would at least allow you to delete the station from the presets to reset the RDS data). RDS would be good if everyone followed the same format...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 02:20 PM   #6
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I didn't get my 19.2 update yet, but are you guys saying that once you store a preset, you are stuck with that name even if you delete it and re-store it later?

What if you set your presets while RDS is off then turn it on? Would you at least be able to have sane station names (frequencies as the name) and still be able to read the information the station is sending?

Incidentally, I was told by my service rep when I first got my car that RDS was disabled in the US because of software issues, but that it was available in other countries. This could have something to do with sloppy use of RDS in the US as mentioned above.
      11-14-2005, 05:39 PM   #7
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

RDS works fine in my Mini Cooper S but not my E90 with iDrive reason..... BMW has morons working there doing the software programming it should be called antigamming what they are doing, or rather not doing... works on every other car I have just not this one. There are lots of "bugs" or features they just did not perfect yet, kinda like Microsoft and updates and patches, except I can't auto update my car. The dealer needs it....
Fix the f-ing RDS, the lack of MP3, and the fact my ass warmers can't be customized like on the 5 and I will be just great!

Otherwise the car rules!! and I knew there were going to be issues with software, just figured they would be a little bit more active in fixing things.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 07:00 PM   #8
AW330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

please dont call me stupid but how do i turn on RDS?
      11-14-2005, 07:01 PM   #9
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW330i
please dont call me stupid but how do i turn on RDS?
You need the software update CIP 19.2 to enable RDS on a pre-sept built car.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
AW330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xens
You need the software update CIP 19.2 to enable RDS on a pre-sept built car.
Thank you its a good thing that i am getting it done on friday!! I hate being out of date. lol
      11-14-2005, 11:40 PM   #11
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

My RDS works fine but the info the radio stations transmit is poor. Just their names and not aoll of them either. However, still good enough for me to glance over and check what station iam listening to so i know which steering wheel button to press if i want to change stations.

Simplicity at its best!
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
has anyone figured a solution to this problem yet? if not i plan on calling my dealership at some point tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 11:41 PM   #13
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:

Charlie
I have this happening, too.

I forget where I saw it, but there's a BMW SIB that says, in effect, if you don't want the weirdo tags, turn off RDS.

Of course, that means you don't get song titles or anything else.

How typical of BMW electronics: this stuff works badly and the answer is turn it off. I don't hate iDrive. I hate it's slow response and weird lack of features.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2006, 08:59 AM   #14
mds82
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I called the dealer and he is checking on it for me. hopefully by the end of the week he might have an answer if it is something that is fixable. we'll see
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #15
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228 Black

I have a november delivery car and i was able to fix it.

It will still store whatever the RDS stream is displaying at the moment I stored the station, but I waited for something more desirable to appear (ie, the station name), and I was able to store the new text.

It is still dependent on what the station is streaming out, though, and it took me a couple of tries with some stations to catch what I wanted.
      01-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #16
mds82
Major General
Rep

Garage List
there is NO FIX for this at the moment... Note
. DO NOT STORE RADIO STATIONS WITH RDS ON
. this will F*ck up your radio...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #17
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
Some RDS info

SUBJECT
RDS Function Causes Confusing Station Names when in "All stations" Screen

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E90 (3 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation

SITUATION
With RDS (Radio Data System) set to "Active" some of the displayed station tags will show part of the song title or artist name instead of the station name. For example: instead of "Rock98" the display shows "Thomas".

CAUSE
RDS was set "Active" at the factory instead of "Inactive".

PROCEDURE
With the introduction of CIP 12, RDS was coded off and could not be turned on again.

With the release of CIP 19.1, after the vehicle software is updated, RDS is now coded on as default.

If the customer does not wish to see these confusing RDS tags, then turn RDS off.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2006, 06:07 PM   #18
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Anyone heard any updates on this yet? It's still a problem on my 3-week old 330, which presumable has CIP 20 or higher.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #19
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228 Black

I didn't think it was a bug, I thought it was simply that the iDrive system was picking up the song title because that's what the radio station was sending.

I fixed it by taking a little time to re-set the station when it was sending out something I wanted to see.

For example, I'm in NYC and I was having this problem with WPLJ. It kept displaying "and Todd" for this station -- this is a snippet of "Scott and Todd in the Morning" which they display when that show is on.

I noticed that later in the day, they don't display that but do display just the call letters.

To change the display, I needed to first, change the station stored at that number (putting another station there). And then I stored the station again, trying to catch only the call letters. It took me a couple of tries but I was able to do it.

The key was to over-write the location by putting a different station in there before I replaced it.
      04-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #20
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Driverseven, thanks for posting this! It's a real pain in the ass, but at least it's a solution.

It's funny how this board is a better resource for tech support than any BMW dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #21
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

It's funny I just found this...
I figured it out this morning so I'll post pics later
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #22
thetryal
1 expensive toy
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

has anyone had any luck with this method?