BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

04-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #89
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

Trust me. The car doesnt get chicks. They get pissed at you because you have such a nice car at 17. Been there and done that.

Maybe I could get some shallow girls in college. But where is the fun in that?

I enjoy the hunt. But thats me rambling. Just go with the first part.
      04-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #90
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

More satisfying wow. You are spoiled. I would be over the moon to have any wheels (2 or 4) I could call my own at your age.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #91
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
As for camping trips and go to the beach the 1 is the wrong car to buy if you want to do that. A honda element is what you are looking for......
      04-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #92
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbutcurious View Post
Okay, okay i feel like a dumbass little kid just ignoring what you guys are trying to tell me.

But I promise you guys. If I don't have atleast $100 left over each month I won't get it.

Oh and the Civic isn't mine. Used to be my dad's now it's my brothers. My dad owns a 08 Accord now. My sister has had a leased Mini Cooper for three years now. She's 23 now. It was the first car I drove.

The $15000 is a secret though. Only my mom, dad, friends, and you guys know about it.

Lol and I've also driven my uncle's 2001 Jaguar XKR. That's a 370hp car right? It was really fast. But i didn't actually try to get fast with it.

And i feel like sharing why i want to get a car (Most of you got it)

1. My friends and i won't be so damn bored everyday. In the summer if i get my car we're gonna go on camping trips and go to the beach every weekend.
2. Girls. The girls at my school expect so much. (It's not even a rich neighborhood)

Why I want to get a new car
1. New Car Smell
2. More Satisfying

Do you think buying a new Altima or Accord is a bad decision?
-To have fun, you dont want a new, fancy car. GOing camping, to the beach, etc = dirt, inside and out. Taking friends = sloppiness... theyll want to eat in your car, theyll want you to park closer to where you're driving to, so they dont have to walk. THis all equates to quick dirtying, wear, and tear on your new car that took so much money to buy. Not good. Just because youre mature, doesnt mean that your friends, and the other kids at school are...

-As for girls, some will love anyone that has any car, and the ones that will really dig you because you havea BMW are so shallow that they arent worth pursuing anyway. THey are only using you if having a BMW is their criteria for having anything to do with you. Im sure its a nice idea to drive up to prom in a 128i of your own, but I'd say its just noth worth it. People wont respect you for who you are, theyll use you for what you have.

-New car smell is a combination of formaldehyde and a bunch of other cancer causing agents. I know it is great to smell, but it is really bad for you...

-More satisfying? perhaps... its yours, you know how it was broken in, how it was treated, etc., but that is the case for any new car.

-A new altima or accord is a bad decision? Japanese cars are better deals new than used. They are way overpriced in either form, but the "deals" on used Japanese cars are ridiculous. The new accord is a boat, IMO., but its that size that is also a blessing. Personally, I'd look at a VW rabbit (wife has one and it has been great - new ones dont have the typical quality issues, and are good buys), in 4-dr form, or if you can get a deal, perhaps even consider a GTI - so you have the look, a performance bias, and a lower. I highly recommend driving an MT, so you learn even more. The accord and many other sedans have them. That said, I feel that for a sedan, the malibu is an excellent package.

Seriously, Id consider a new toyota yaris MT 4dr sedan. Decent space, light enough to have a bit of pep, good fuel economy, compact enough to fit into tight parking spots at school, etc. Id also consider a ford focus, which has an excellent amount of space inside, and the Mazda 3. I'd also consider a w124 MB turbo diesel, which will last forever, give good fuel economy, be safe, etc., etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #93
Jimmydean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe, bare bones

Quote:

1. My friends and i won't be so damn bored everyday. In the summer if i get my car we're gonna go on camping trips and go to the beach every weekend.
2. Girls. The girls at my school expect so much. (It's not even a rich neighborhood)

1. New Car Smell
2. More Satisfying
Sorry, I had to check this once more before logging off...

1) You can go on camping trips and the beach every weekend in a used quality automobile. You don't need a bimmer.
2) girls - wow. kid you have so much to learn I almost feel bad for you.
a) you think they'll say:
"wow, what a nice car he's got, maybe I totally underestimated him"
b) they'll actually be saying:
"why is he trying so hard to impress us? pathetic."
-Here's your first hint on women - don't try so hard, as a matter of fact, just be totally indifferent. Trust me. Other guys will agree.
-Women are the one reason I am considering NOT getting a 128i. I don't want the girl I date to think, "Who does this guy in his late 20's think he is, driving a BMW. Who is he trying to impress?"

and your other two reasons....
1) you aren't serious are you? You can get a new car smell in a 2009 Hyundai Accent for under 10k.
2) how can you tell how satisfying it is until you've owned numerous used cars and spent alot of time on the road?

These are terrible reasons my friend.

I'll be honest buddy, you will probably earn the respect of everyone you know much faster if you get a used car you can afford. Why not get an old school bimmer. like 1980's or 1990's version. That shows you have good taste, and you can pay for your own vehicle. That would impress everyone alot more - if that's what you're worried about.
We had a guy in my class who drove around in a new Lexus. He thought he was hot sh*t, but actually everyone considered him the class douchebag.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #94
Chriskot
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota Camry 04

The only way to justify this purchase is if your parents are rich. As I said before, if you are rich go for it, they will clean up the financial mistakes that you will inevitably make, you are too far gone in your mentality for anyone here to change your mind. But this is a mistake.

I can understand the girl thing, but I went through HS without a car and I didn't have a problem. But if you think the car will be the solution to your girl problems it isn't. I am considering buying a car now and the 1 is at the top of my list. I have a lot of snobby girl friends (friends that are girls) and when I asked them what they think about the 1 they pretty universally said that its a car for people who want the status of a BMW but can't afford a "real" BMW. I whole heartedly disagree with this statement and I think the BMW 1 is a great car. In your case its probably true though (that you are buying it for the status of a BMW).

Some people will probably say that you don't want a girl who is only dating you for your car, but for people at your age the most important thing about a girl are her looks, and the girls who you are after are probably the snobby good looking ones who will be going for the guys with an a5 rather than a bmw 1.

Edit: On second thought the girls are probably too young for the whole a5 thing, but if thats the case they'll be impressed with anything new and shiny. And I want to say it again that its a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #95
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

First off jzhang is completely right. I told my grandpa I wasn't going to romp on his Mercury Marauder. Then I almost wrapped that shit around a tree. With great power comes great responsibility.

Btw to also answer your post, I said the same damn thing I was your age. We all suck ass at driving when we first start out. I don't give a rats ass if Michael Schumacher was your dad, you still suck!! Get something kinda fast, low insurance, and a good screw around, because 8 times out of 10 your going to crash it.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #96
fastbutcurious
ara
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskot View Post
The only way to justify this purchase is if your parents are rich. As I said before, if you are rich go for it, they will clean up the financial mistakes that you will inevitably make, you are too far gone in your mentality for anyone here to change your mind. But this is a mistake.

I can understand the girl thing, but I went through HS without a car and I didn't have a problem. But if you think the car will be the solution to your girl problems it isn't. I am considering buying a car now and the 1 is at the top of my list. I have a lot of snobby girl friends (friends that are girls) and when I asked them what they think about the 1 they pretty universally said that its a car for people who want the status of a BMW but can't afford a "real" BMW. I whole heartedly disagree with this statement and I think the BMW 1 is a great car. In your case its probably true though (that you are buying it for the status of a BMW).

Some people will probably say that you don't want a girl who is only dating you for your car, but for people at your age the most important thing about a girl are her looks, and the girls who you are after are probably the snobby good looking ones who will be going for the guys with an a5 rather than a bmw 1.

Edit: On second thought the girls are probably too young for the whole a5 thing, but if thats the case they'll be impressed with anything new and shiny. And I want to say it again that its a mistake.
Well i could probably afford a 328i sedan if i think i can afford the 128i with all the things I'm getting it with. But see i don't want it. So many people have told me the 128i is ugly but i ignore what they say. I forgot to mention that when I look at my alpine white 128i with M Sport Package, i shed a tear in my eye. It is actually a dream car for me. One i could almost afford.

My last post was kind of a joke post. I don't give a shit about new car smell. Truthfully I just like the look of new Accords and Altimas and they are affordable. Plus i want a new car because I will get to customize it to fit my own needs. Call it spoiled if you wish. I personally told my parents, if i can't afford the car i want to get by myself, I won't get it. I have a friend who's gonna get a brand new M3 as his first car, without working. Outrageous, I know... (Though he's actually pretty rich)

And i get this feeling girls do get with guys just because of their car. The finest girls that are my age go out with seniors or older guys with nice cars. One is going out with a guy who graduated last year, and he drives a new M6( I'm pretty sure getting it involved something illegal, the guy lives in an apartment for christ's sake)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #97
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

Quote:

And i get this feeling girls do get with guys just because of their car. The finest girls that are my age go out with seniors or older guys with nice cars. One is going out with a guy who graduated last year, and he drives a new M6( I'm pretty sure getting it involved something illegal, the guy lives in an apartment for christ's sake)

um...no. Take from a senior in high school. The ones that are way insecure or slutty are only fun for a night. If you want an actual gf get to be friends with a few girls. The best gfs wont even bat an eye at what car you drive.

And a lot of the stuck up bitches just think your trying to hard by getting a nice car that early.

Thank God I bought the car for me and not for a girl.
      04-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #98
Juicer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Okay, okay i feel like a dumbass little kid just ignoring what you guys are trying to tell me.

But I promise you guys. If I don't have atleast $100 left over each month I won't get it.

Oh and the Civic isn't mine. Used to be my dad's now it's my brothers. My dad owns a 08 Accord now. My sister has had a leased Mini Cooper for three years now. She's 23 now. It was the first car I drove.

The $15000 is a secret though. Only my mom, dad, friends, and you guys know about it.

Lol and I've also driven my uncle's 2001 Jaguar XKR. That's a 370hp car right? It was really fast. But i didn't actually try to get fast with it.

1. New Car Smell
2. More Satisfying

Those reasons are as good as any. None of us need a new BMW or a new car at all. It is a luxury that we enjoy whether we are 16 year old high school kids or 50 year old docs its always nice to have a new car. The accord should be fine. Those are nice cars! If you have any game at all, a new accord will be fine for the girls. Heck, a new accord is decent at any age. Just have fun with it and don't let the haters salt your game. If I were you I would go or a new Accord or Altima over the 128i anyways. It will be recieved better by your peirs and still have the same positive effect with the ladies.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #99
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 128i

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmydean View Post
...Computer game programmer huh? I think 30% of all males at 16 want to do that. Good luck.

Ever hear about "delayed gratification"? ...
Ahem.....Do I even need a snappy way to point this one out to you?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #100
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer View Post
Those reasons are as good as any. None of us need a new BMW or a new car at all. It is a luxury that we enjoy whether we are 16 year old high school kids or 50 year old docs its always nice to have a new car. The accord should be fine. Those are nice cars! If you have any game at all, a new accord will be fine for the girls. Heck, a new accord is decent at any age. Just have fun with it and don't let the haters salt your game. If I were you I would go or a new Accord or Altima over the 128i anyways. It will be recieved better by your peirs and still have the same positive effect with the ladies.
+1, or, have a play on a few "hot" areas given the current situation, and buy a civic hybrid, a prius (hear theyre giving them away these days), or an insight... which is new, will be a neat car, and is cost effective. A plus to this is that potentially your parents can not only write off the sales tax, but also get the alternative fuel car tax credit... This is a savings to them, and may induce them to be willing to cost share or help with something else.

You get the stamp for being green, you get ultra-low fuel costs going forward, probably much better insurance rates (besides collision and comp, likely), and will have something different and interesting.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #101
Juicer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildenstern View Post
Ahem.....Do I even need a snappy way to point this one out to you?
Nothing wrong with that. Just go to college and you'll figure out what you want to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:11 PM   #102
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
HOLY CRAP man!!! I was picking up chicks in my 1987 Honda Accord in 2004.... stop being a snob.

If the chicks dig you for you they will go out with you no matter what car you have....

FYI my sisters boyfriend at the time took her out on his bike and extra helmet.....
      04-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #103
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:

1. New Car Smell
2. More Satisfying

Doh. New car smell... girls... sigh.

Go get that car. It will totally be awesome and your friends will like you more when you go to the beach every weekend. And OMG the chicks will be all over you and your new car smell. Don't worry about that fat car payment- it's no big deal. After all, you're gonna get be a rad game designer/programmer/ninja and like 3 days after you graduate, Blizzard is give you an awe$ome job.

135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #104
fastbutcurious
ara
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
Doh. New car smell... girls... sigh.

Go get that car. It will totally be awesome and your friends will like you more when you go to the beach every weekend. And OMG the chicks will be all over you and your new car smell. Don't worry about that fat car payment- it's no big deal. After all, you're gonna get be a rad game designer/programmer/ninja and like 3 days after you graduate, Blizzard is give you an awe$ome job.

Hey Thanks!
I said i was joking about the new car smell. I don't need to prove anything to my friends, one is getting an M3. The girl thing is a small reason compared to the freebird i'll be when i get my car.
And i'll be free of debts too because i'm getting a Honda Accord.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #105
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:

1. New Car Smell
2. More Satisfying

Just here to add some input but to be honest, most if not all important aspects have been said already.

Camping and beach trips is not for the one series. trucks, wagons and vans is for those sorts of things bro.

Car to get chicks. Yes it's all good and fun to think about those sort of things. Heck, I wrote a fun story about almost picking up a cute brunette in a truck not too long ago with my 128i. Yes it's fun and a good laugh but girls just wanting ya cuz of a car and cash isn't the ones you want. A fling here and there but trust me, the crap that will follow you for having a brand new bimmer at your age isn't good.

New car smell is nice, you don't need it tho.

More satisfying, ya it'll probably feel that way for sure. No question about it.

Out of the 2 cars you suggested, I'd just got for a base new Accord Coupe. At the very least, you have a bit more of a sporty look.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #106
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Hey Thanks!
I said i was joking about the new car smell. I don't need to prove anything to my friends, one is getting an M3. The girl thing is a small reason compared to the freebird i'll be when i get my car.
And i'll be free of debts too because i'm getting a Honda Accord.
Good choice. 4banger or V6? I'm just curious. The 6 is no slouch. I believe they're trapping at 103mph. 5.6 to 60mph. Man, things have changed.
      04-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #107
flyburch
Private
Rep
Drives: none

[QUOTE=fastbutcurious;4973105]So your saying i'm gonna race my ass off and kill myself?
Well you're completely WRONG

I appreciate all of your suggestions but seriously, I'm tired of everyone thinking I'm gonna wreck any car I drive. I don't like driving fast and I have no intentions of racing. Thus if i don't drive fast, I have the same chance of wrecking my car as any of you 20 or 30 year olds. Yeah I know it won't always be my fault when i get into an accident. But you guys all say it like there's someone waiting to ram into me at every intersection.

Ill chime in for my first post here. What ever car you get remember one thing that there are people waiting to ram into you at every intersection and everywhere else for that matter. Just realize this its part of experience and will make you a better defensive driver.. Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #108
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

You parents are lucky, my kids have no interests to car and can't tell difference between Mercedes and Honda.
      04-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #109
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

@fastbutcurious Well, my last post was a little sarcastic, but seriously, I hope you go through with the Accord. I'm telling you brother- you are gonna be glad you made that decision.

With no car payment and a fund to pay for college (as you said you have), all you have to do now is stay away from those credit cards and don't spend $ you don't have. Then you're living the dream. Financial freedom. Those words might not have that much meaning now, but they will once you start seeing people go into debt, stay at jobs they hate, and never go on vacations. That happened to some of my friends because they started a pattern of not being wise with money. They couldn't resist certain temptations in their early 20's, like cars, boats, etc.

Side note: In regards to the "chick factor", pull up in your Accord, and tell her "Yeah it's no BMW- there's other things I'd rather spend my money on." And then take her horseback riding on the beach or fly out to some major metropolitan city, just for the day, for an epic OMGWTF date. You'll be a god among boys if you pull that kind of stuff. A few legendary $400 dates will get you a lot further with the ladies than a $400/month car payment.
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 01:10 AM   #110
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
boats, etc.

Side note: In regards to the "chick factor", pull up in your Accord, and tell her "Yeah it's no BMW- there's other things I'd rather spend my money on." And then take her horseback riding on the beach or fly out to some major metropolitan city, just for the day, for an epic OMGWTF date. You'll be a god among boys if you pull that kind of stuff. A few legendary $400 dates will get you a lot further with the ladies than a $400/month car payment.
HAHAHAHA BOATS AHAHHAHAHA. Epic post. Redeemed yourself after the epic fail boat thread hahahha