BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Sheeting vs. Beading waxes

Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to the depths of auto detailing and I just would like to know everyone's personal preference for waxes.

What kind of wax has everybody had experience with? Which do you prefer, sheeting, or beading? Personally I like the sheeting look when water comes off of it and I'm not entirely sure which wax company/brand will give me this look.

Can anybody recommend any waxes that sheet? And if you do not like sheeting, tell me which waxes you like that bead?

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
From my experience, water beads on a waxed car when you hit it with a spray or when it's rained on... When you dump a lot of water (like from a bucket) on the same waxed car, the water comes off in sheets... Totally independent of the wax/sealant used.
      09-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Jmoney
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i BSM/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to the depths of auto detailing and I just would like to know everyone's personal preference for waxes.

What kind of wax has everybody had experience with? Which do you prefer, sheeting, or beading? Personally I like the sheeting look when water comes off of it and I'm not entirely sure which wax company/brand will give me this look.

Can anybody recommend any waxes that sheet? And if you do not like sheeting, tell me which waxes you like that bead?

Thanks in advance!!

Is your paint all FACTORY paint? As in you have never gotten anything repainted? Use this!

http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...ory_Code=WAXES

This is a specific wax for BMW factory paints.

I used a Limited Edition wax called "Swissvax Scandic Shine's Insignis v3 overpowering carnauba wax.

For any swissvax orders inside the USA, Please contact the ONLY representative for Swissvax in the USA..

http://scheerdetailing.com/swissvax/

Mr. Dominic Scheer at Scheer Signature Detailing.
Still keeping it classy with a Clutch..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney View Post
Is your paint all FACTORY paint? As in you have never gotten anything repainted? Use this!

I used a Limited Edition wax called "Swissvax Scandic Shine's Insignis v3 overpowering carnauba wax.

For any swissvax orders inside the USA, Please contact the ONLY representative for Swissvax in the USA..

Unfortunately, the rear bumper was repainted due to a scratch caused by one of the BMW techs when installing my bike rack. haha. I also live in a harsh climate, so carnauba wax won't last as long and it's also my understanding that swissvax is super pricey!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Jmoney
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i BSM/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney View Post

Unfortunately, the rear bumper was repainted due to a scratch caused by one of the BMW techs when installing my bike rack. haha. I also live in a harsh climate, so carnauba wax won't last as long and it's also my understanding that swissvax is super pricey!
I live in Miami which is a pretty harsh climate. You can either use onyx or mystery or shield. Shield would probably be the best bet for a repainted bumper in harsh climates since it contains PTFE.

My one coat of swissvax lasted an entire 6 months with only automatic touch-less car washes. The wax i used had high amounts of Carnauba wax (approx. 55%) in 95-100 degree weather with constant rain and sun showers. Lets not forget I-95, lmao
Still keeping it classy with a Clutch..

Last edited by Jmoney; 09-11-2013 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
From my experience, water beads on a waxed car when you hit it with a spray or when it's rained on... When you dump a lot of water (like from a bucket) on the same waxed car, the water comes off in sheets... Totally independent of the wax/sealant used.
Basically summed it up.

I use Wolfgang Sealant topped with Dodo Juice Hard Candy and Rainforest Rub

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

[This is a specific wax for BMW factory paints]

[Shield would probably be the best bet for a repainted bumper in harsh climates since it contains PTFE]

I love marketing science fiction, prove me wrong by offering factual information on how -

a) That any wax can be marque specific

b) PTFE works without pre-treating the surface its applied to
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

for something that is a bang for your buck with upto 6 months protection and the benefits of tight beading and sheeting properties with the look of a wax.

take a look at Sonax Polymer Net Shield.

Check out these videos.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
for something that is a bang for your buck with upto 6 months protection and the benefits of tight beading and sheeting properties with the look of a wax.

take a look at Sonax Polymer Net Shield.
Lets say I wash my car every week, would the net shield not last as long? How would i go about washing the car after applying?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

sure we wash our cars every 1-2 weeks and the net shield has help up great!

what you can do is every other wash hit it up with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detail Spray - its a cut down version of the Net Shield in a detail spray/spray wax form.

the Brilliant Shine Detailer will boost/replenish the durability of the Net Shield.

I would say that I have used Net Shield on my wife's SUV and it lasted 6 months and should have lasted longer if I didn't use an APC /Car Wash mix during the winter months. If you use a nice car wash it should last upto 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I've had pretty good results with Zaino products. Use the three coat method (ZAIO, Z2, ZCS) and it will last 6-9 months with steady washing (also use Z6 after washing).
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
cat-like
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
There a better alternatives to wax as a sealant these days. Nano-tech products such as Wolf's or Nanolex are fantastic for sealant and protection.
Agreed.

I had my new AW clay barred & sealed with Nanolex professional within 10 days of delivery. A quick wash & chamois/microfibre dry and it looks like she's just been waxed every time. I still do a quick spray on wax every 3 or 4 washes, probably out of habit more than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
There a better alternatives to wax as a sealant these days. Nano-tech products such as Wolf's or Nanolex are fantastic for sealant and protection.
Agreed- I think the day has come where we need to look at wax as just another layer of protection and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Before every winter I throughly claybar my car then apply two coats of Collinite 476s or Collinite 845. They last until beginning of spring in harsh upstate NY winters along with our salty roads.
      09-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
Before every winter I throughly claybar my car then apply two coats of Collinite 476s or Collinite 845. They last until beginning of spring in harsh upstate NY winters along with our salty roads.
I've been reading a lot of good things about collinite 845. It is apparently a legendary wax that lasts as long as a sealant. Just a question, What do you finish down with before waxing with collinite 845? I live just across the border from you and we probably share similar climates.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #16
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I've been reading a lot of good things about collinite 845. It is apparently a legendary wax that lasts as long as a sealant. Just a question, What do you finish down with before waxing with collinite 845? I live just across the border from you and we probably share similar climates.
Wow yeah, you are close to me!
This is my process, and I have been doing it for 3 years now before the start of winter, end of October or beginning of November:
-Thorough Dawn dish soap car wash using a 2 bucket method
-I clay the car over.
-One coat of Collinite 476s
-Go have some spanakopita because I am Greek like that and watch tv for 30 minutes. This is the most important step. You must watch tv for 30 minutes, no less no more.
-Apply second coat of Collinite 476s. I let the car sit in the garage for 24 hours. Seriously, this is a really important step.

I swear by this, so does my father when I prepped his X3.

You know how we get that one week usually every winter when the weather is nice? During that time I like to do a thorough wax safe wash and re apply a single coat of Collinite for boosted protection. It makes me feel secure.

I am going to Toronto November 1st for a concert we should meet up if you need help or snap some pictures. I love the scenery in Toronto.

Edit: I only take my car to the car wash during winter to pressure rinse the salt off. I never use their soaps, too harsh and it will reduce the life of the wax. Just pressure washing helps a ton every week. I now have Optimum No Rinse to wash my car in the garage sometimes.
      09-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

I typically top Menzerna Power Lock with Collinite 845. I like them both individually, but together they're strong, and optically the 845 brings the depth whereas the PL is more plastic-looking.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is my process, and I have been doing it for 3 years now before the start of winter, end of October or beginning of November:
-I clay the car over.
-Go have some spanakopita because I am Greek like that and watch tv for 30 minutes. This is the most important step. You must watch tv for 30 minutes, no less no more.
-Apply second coat of Collinite 476s. I let the car sit in the garage for 24 hours. Seriously, this is a really important step.

You know how we get that one week usually every winter when the weather is nice? During that time I like to do a thorough wax safe wash and re apply a single coat of Collinite for boosted protection. It makes me feel secure.

I am going to Toronto November 1st for a concert we should meet up if you need help or snap some pictures. I love the scenery in Toronto.

Edit: I only take my car to the car wash during winter to pressure rinse the salt off. I never use their soaps, too harsh and it will reduce the life of the wax. Just pressure washing helps a ton every week. I now have Optimum No Rinse to wash my car in the garage sometimes.
HAHA thanks for the detailed response. My girlfriend's step dad is greek so I know all about the tv and spanakopita. Is it okay if I make tyropita sometimes or does it only work with the spinach?

Anyway, I'm in the niagara region for school so depending what day November 1 is I don't know if I'll meet you in Toronto. Who are you coming to see?

Thanks for the advice. And just to clarify, you mean to cure the wax 24 hours and not leave the layer of wax on for 24 hours before buffing?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez
Quote:
-I clay the car over.

HAHA thanks for the detailed response. My girlfriend's step dad is greek so I know all about the tv and spanakopita. Is it okay if I make tyropita sometimes or does it only work with the spinach?

Anyway, I'm in the niagara region for school so depending what day November 1 is I don't know if I'll meet you in Toronto. Who are you coming to see?

Thanks for the advice. And just to clarify, you mean to cure the wax 24 hours and not leave the layer of wax on for 24 hours before buffing?
Yes cure the wax for 24 hours. I buff off the wax when it hazes. I am going to see Thanos Petrelis.
Greek girls are the best! Just don't tell me Indian girlfriend hahaha

Tyropita is just as good.
      09-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #20
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes cure the wax for 24 hours. I buff off the wax when it hazes. I am going to see Thanos Petrelis.
Greek girls are the best! Just don't tell me Indian girlfriend hahaha

Tyropita is just as good.
Alright. Great! Thanks. And no. Polish girlfriend actually. He was born in Bulgaria, orphaned, raised in Poland, lived in Greece and now in Canada haha. He speaks greek polish and English. Pretty good. Hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #21
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Alright. Great! Thanks. And no. Polish girlfriend actually. He was born in Bulgaria, orphaned, raised in Poland, lived in Greece and now in Canada haha. He speaks greek polish and English. Pretty good. Hahaha.
Nice!!
      09-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #22
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Can't mix wax and nano technology products. I used to be an avid P21S wax detailer, but times move on. Last 2 years nothing but Nanolex... better shine, lasts longer, easy to apply, less swirls, better protection.

This is after 3 months

You can it just won't last as long.
I have Opticoat on my car and also periodically use Optimum spray wax. It definitely makes a difference to slickness and depth of shine but it won't last as long as on an unsealed car.
Appreciate 0