BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-27-2011, 02:54 AM   #67
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
I don't like posting this stuff or my age too much - it feels like bragging...
You're a good man alik, it's amazing how people don't realise they come off as bragging when they go onto forums and constantly talk about how many cool cars they have or how they keep buying new cars every 6 months whenever they get bored...

ps- I re-read that, and it may have sounded like I was being sarcastic at you but I'm not! Just something I have noticed elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 05:27 AM   #68
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

DIBS Way,

ha you know ive been looking for one... just be nice on the price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Here is my opportunity to post pics of my super Spyder (as I call it due to the level of options haha - those who know Porsches will know what I am talking about from the pics, and some like lithium battery that you don't see as well). I may get rid of it at some stage over the next 12 months so if anyone wants it, we can form a "dibs list" now.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 06:04 AM   #69
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Thanks for everyones input.

I probably should of cleared a few things beforehand. Im in my early 20's and yes, I do live in a property that is owned by my family. However because my family is based in asia, me and my siblings occupy the property majority of the time. I do enjoy living together with my family as well so I don't really see any issues in regards to independence at the moment, of course one day i'll by living under another roof when I establish a family but thats still along road ahead.

As I mentioned earlier I don't have any properties under my OWN name, but I do share a investment property with my sister - so don't get the impression that i'm giving everything for a nice car. I just don't see the need to have ANOTHER property - especially when Im not even going to live in it.... and housing returns are awful at present. I don't want to spend the next few years burdening myself by enormous mortgage repayments etc. But obviously when you compare money spent on car vs property - theres only one clear winner.

Now back to the fun stuff - the cars... as I anticipated a few of you will mention the GTR before I pull the trigger on anything else. Its public holidays tomorrow but I'll give Nissan a call early saturday morning to see if they can bring one to my place for alittle drive. I honestly admire what they did with the car, from performance to value for money- but thats pretty much where it stops... GTRs are a wankers car - i'll probably take back what I said after i've driven one!

Now Porsches..... never liked Boxster's untill I sat in one... by FAR the best handling topless car on the market - anything else feels centuries apart and WAY.... my god you did tick all the options didn't you! from the leather sunvicers, alcantara inserts and ceramic brakes... wow! Im glad you can pick up a used Spider with my budget. Porsches are also attractive.. yeah maybe the only appeal to ageing men with mid life crisis but I expect them to be an absolute weapon. So how do they compare to the 996 GT3s? Also Porsches tend to hold their values very very well..... I would prefer a auto car but I can compromise alittle
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #70
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honny View Post
I honestly admire what they did with the car, from performance to value for money- but thats pretty much where it stops... GTRs are a wankers car
I'm not sure why you would think that about the car? Don't take offence to this as I'm only using it as an example but I'm sure some people might think a Sedona Red 1 Series is a girls car (I personally think it looks great . The most important thing is you enjoy it and feel comfortable driving it.

I appreciate having a nice badge on the bonnet of my car but what Nissan has done with the R35 GTR is really amazing. It beats the 135i/1M/M3 in every department including looks. Even the computer is from the future. The only downside is it's not as luxurious as our BMW's but our interiors aren't anything to brag about.

GTR traps around 123mph stock standard and handle phenomenally well. I know we're biased towards our BMW's but lets not kid ourselves.

Last edited by BMW86; 10-27-2011 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #71
Honny
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure why you would think that about the car? Don't take offence to this as I'm only using it as an example but I'm sure some people might think a Sedona Red 1 Series is a girls car. The most important thing is you enjoy it and feel comfortable driving it.
Couldn't agree more, my car suits my girlfriends more than myself so lesson learnt for next time.

The GTR is phenomenal. Its just JDM cars (and Holden/Fords) come with a hoon douche bag appearance. Hopefully Im convinced to see it as a supercar, rather than some JDM trash toy. Theres no denying about its performance - however lets be realistic... I can bearly hold myself together pushing 70-80% to the limit in the 135i. Try that in a R35 and i'll end up in a ditch.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #72
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
You're a good man alik, it's amazing how people don't realise they come off as bragging when they go onto forums and constantly talk about how many cool cars they have or how they keep buying new cars every 6 months whenever they get bored...

ps- I re-read that, and it may have sounded like I was being sarcastic at you but I'm not! Just something I have noticed elsewhere.
Thanks BBK, appreciate the very kind words. Just a normal guy - I keep saying this and people don't seem to get me: just got really lucky!

I think this forum has a great set of people and are all proper enthusiast who are here to share their passion. Really amazing community. Even on a hectic day I check it out as it helps me relax. I really dislike the US side and don't like posting there for the reason you mentioned - it's like juvenile member measuring contest over there!
      10-27-2011, 06:56 AM   #73
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Couldn't agree more, my car suits my girlfriends more than myself so lesson learnt for next time.

The GTR is phenomenal. Its just JDM cars (and Holden/Fords) come with a hoon douche bag appearance. Hopefully Im convinced to see it as a supercar, rather than some JDM trash toy. Theres no denying about its performance - however lets be realistic... I can bearly hold myself together pushing 70-80% to the limit in the 135i. Try that in a R35 and i'll end up in a ditch.
The 1 series isn't the manliest car around but what is under the hood makes up for it

I'm fairly certain the R35GTR has earned the respect from almost everyone, including Porsche, and they are known for doing the same thing to more expensive super cars. The way I see it is not everyone can afford a super car so it's a great opportunity to get into one for just over 100k.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #74
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

BMW86, you are by far the biggest advocate for the GTR on here! It's an incredible piece of kit, that our cars unfortunately hold no candle to! It's a freaking supercar - no butts or ifs about it. I do however, dislike its inherent absence of subtlety - which is th only reason I would never have one.

Honny, you don't have to justify yourself. You seem like a great guy and seem to have it sorted at a very young age! Really awesome stuff.

If you want a car that'll raise the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and clench your buttocks each time you floor the throttle, buy the newest GT3 you can afford.

I have always loved Porsche. They get a bad wrap for being an old man's car but they are just such an awesome feat of engineering. I love the obsession that goes into every last screw and bolt. From a design point of view - they are timeless. I would like to think I would still love the car without the horsie badge - I guess we'll never know!
      10-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #75
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
BMW86, you are by far the biggest advocate for the GTR on here! It's an incredible piece of kit, that our cars unfortunately hold no candle to! It's a freaking supercar - no butts or ifs about it. I do however, dislike its inherent absence of subtlety - which is th only reason I would never have one.

Honny, you don't have to justify yourself. You seem like a great guy and seem to have it sorted at a very young age! Really awesome stuff.

If you want a car that'll raise the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and clench your buttocks each time you floor the throttle, buy the newest GT3 you can afford.

I have always loved Porsche. They get a bad wrap for being an old man's car but they are just such an awesome feat of engineering. I love the obsession that goes into every last screw and bolt. From a design point of view - they are timeless. I would like to think I would still love the car without the horsie badge - I guess we'll never know!
It's true, it's true - I'm a big fan of the R35GTR. I have considered it seriously a few times. I think the GT3 is as good as it gets and worth every cent but the GTR seems like better value if you want something newer and more affordable. You can't honestly make me believe the GT3 is a sleeper though! Every time I see one I'm
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #76
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
It's true, it's true - I'm a big fan of the R35GTR. I have considered it seriously a few times. I think the GT3 is as good as it gets and worth every cent but the GTR seems like better value if you want something newer and more affordable. You can't honestly make me believe the GT3 is a sleeper though! Every time I see one I'm
Haha definitely not a sleeper but a lot of more understated than GTR's stealth fighter looks! To most people, it looks like any other 911 but with a wing on it!

GTR is the faster car and will always be the faster car - for me personally I think I'll have more fun getting there in the GT3!

I think your 135i is perfect, really well put together and cohesive. If you really want the GTR and can afford it - buy it!
      10-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #77
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Jeez, all the talk in this thread is making me feel guilty for still living at home! Haha but I like the way you've described it alik... it's similar to the reason why I still work in the family business. Even having my old accounting job offered back recently for 1.5 times the salary didn't persuad me - gotta stick by family huh. With how the current studies are going I think I should be on the way to setting up a decent financial foundation by the age of 25 or 26. This thread sets great precedence for many of us younger ones...

Further OT: I recently had a chat to someone who's doing pretty well for himself (26yo, 4 investment properties, 2 self generating incomes) and I asked him where should I draw the line between spending money on my car for modifications and saving up for the future. He answered with "Cash is king"... anyone else using this principle?

On topic: E90 M3 for sure Honny! Think about the first day you drop off your first child at the day care centre. Every mum will be giving you the raised eyebrow haha
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #78
Honny
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Thanks mate, on paper it seems like i'm doing well for myself! In reality i'm still young so I have a lot to learn.

997.2 GT3? i'll need to sell my arm and leg to buy half of it..... I was only looking at a Abarth 500.. I thought it would be a cheaper alternative to Supercar experience.. now to a GT3?... whats next? Veyron or a Jet?

A Boxster S is probably more realistic.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #79
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Haha definitely not a sleeper but a lot of more understated than GTR's stealth fighter looks! To most people, it looks like any other 911 but with a wing on it!

GTR is the faster car and will always be the faster car - for me personally I think I'll have more fun getting there in the GT3!

I think your 135i is perfect, really well put together and cohesive. If you really want the GTR and can afford it - buy it!
Agreed, both are amazing cars. There's really no wrong choice. I think the GTR is a better daily because it has more space and is a bit more practical. The GT3 would be a lot of fun to drive though... tough decision lol
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #80
Honny
Captain
Rep

Quote:
He answered with "Cash is king"... anyone else using this principle?
Yes, this person obviously knows what he's doing. With cash you can utilise opportunities that arise.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #81
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
Jeez, all the talk in this thread is making me feel guilty for still living at home! Haha but I like the way you've described it alik... it's similar to the reason why I still work in the family business. Even having my old accounting job offered back recently for 1.5 times the salary didn't persuad me - gotta stick by family huh. With how the current studies are going I think I should be on the way to setting up a decent financial foundation by the age of 25 or 26. This thread sets great precedence for many of us younger ones...

Further OT: I recently had a chat to someone who's doing pretty well for himself (26yo, 4 investment properties, 2 self generating incomes) and I asked him where should I draw the line between spending money on my car for modifications and saving up for the future. He answered with "Cash is king"... anyone else using this principle?

On topic: E90 M3 for sure Honny! Think about the first day you drop off your first child at the day care centre. Every mum will be giving you the raised eyebrow haha
For me at least, family is everything. If we lose it all tomorrow - they'll still be there. Congrats for sticking it through man, hard to resist the temptation of a bigger paycheck. Can't say the same for me, I dissapointed my folks by not doing med in their footsteps - my dad is still not over it.

Cash is king! I don't get carried away with mods etc - it's just not my thing so I'm safe there! That said you also need enjoy life - make sacrifices but smell the roses, only way to make it bearable. Again, humble opinion only.

BTW, I'm a young one too! I'm just waiting on Way to share how he got there!
      10-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #82
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks mate, on paper it seems like i'm doing well for myself! In reality i'm still young so I have a lot to learn.

997.2 GT3? i'll need to sell my arm and leg to buy half of it..... I was only looking at a Abarth 500.. I thought it would be a cheaper alternative to Supercar experience.. now to a GT3?... whats next? Veyron or a Jet?

A Boxster S is probably more realistic.
We all have lots to learn!

Newest one you can afford dude! With your prescribed budget it'd be a 996.5.
      10-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #83
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yes, this person obviously knows what he's doing. With cash you can utilise opportunities that arise.
Yeah... It helps that he drives a 2001 Magna and has no interests in automobiles. LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #84
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, both are amazing cars. There's really no wrong choice. I think the GTR is a better daily because it has more space and is a bit more practical. The GT3 would be a lot of fun to drive though... tough decision lol
Make money and buy both!
      10-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #85
Honny
Captain
Rep

You guys are evil... ive been looking around on carsales and ive found afew bargins...

GTR 09 - $115k!
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...0904&silo=1011

997 GT3 - $99k!
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...ode%20matchany

That 997 GT3 is really a bargin!!

EDIT - sorry found another GT3 for $80k
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #86
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
For me at least, family is everything. If we lose it all tomorrow - they'll still be there. Congrats for sticking it through man, hard to resist the temptation of a bigger paycheck. Can't say the same for me, I dissapointed my folks by not doing med in their footsteps - my dad is still not over it.

Cash is king! I don't get carried away with mods etc - it's just not my thing so I'm safe there! That said you also need enjoy life - make sacrifices but smell the roses, only way to make it bearable. Again, humble opinion only.

BTW, I'm a young one too! I'm just waiting on Way to share how he got there!
Thanks mate! Yep it seems that my priorities in life are skewed from the typical twenty x year old (I quit an easy job paying over 1k a week because I thought how the company carried their business dealings was morally incorrect). Seems like I dug myself a hole here haha.

You're doing great for 25, alik! Congratulations to you and many of the other guys on here who've worked hard to be where they are at today. It really is just a simple combination of hard work, wise decisions and being in the right place at the right moment. Oh wait, that's not really simple to achieve is it?

Re mods: too true! Moderation is the key.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #87
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Make money and buy both!
Hopefully some day

Quote:
You guys are evil... ive been looking around on carsales and ive found afew bargins...

GTR 09 - $115k!
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...0904&silo=1011

997 GT3 - $99k!

That 997 GT3 is really a bargin!!

EDIT - sorry found another GT3 for $80k
You need to remember that a big chunk of the mileage on those GT3's is done on the track. I'm sure you if you do a GT3 search you'll see that the more milage they rack up they decline in value very quickly, so if it's a DD it will drop value fast. Some of the newer GTR's should still be under warranty though.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #88
Honny
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully some day
You need to remember that a big chunk of the mileage on those GT3's is done on the track. I'm sure you if you do a GT3 search you'll see that the more milage they rack up they decline in value very quickly, so if it's a DD it will drop value fast. Some of the newer GTR's should still be under warranty though.
Yeah, its probably not road legal anyway. If I was to put my money on one it will be this:

Its over my budget.....
Appreciate 0