BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-01-2013, 02:00 AM   #1
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Taupe Interior Owners - Let's Talk Dirt/Cleaning/Maintenance

I'm ordering a 128i soon and I'm trying to choose between the Taupe and Savanna Beige interiors. I'm not looking for opinions about which looks best -- that's subjective, of course -- I'm really looking for feedback from actual Taupe interior owners about the level of effort required to keep their interiors clean.

Right off the bat, let me say that I prefer the Taupe interior. My current car is two tone (Oyster/Black) and my two cars before that were all black so I'm looking or a change. I sat in a Taupe interior at the dealer last weekend and it just felt right. My concern, of course, is dirt and cleaning effort. I live in Southern California so mud and even rain aren't really issues, but I know light colored carpets and foot wells can get dingy over time.

So, my two direct questions for Taupe interior owners:

1) How often do you have to clean/detail the carpets and other parts of the interior to keep them from looking dingy? Any tips/tricks?

2) Ignoring the floor mats (which I know get dirty in a light colored car), how dirty do other parts of the foot well and lower doors get from foot scuffs and the like? I'm asking this specific question because there's a good chance I'll go with black floor mats and I want to know what extent of the dirt issues that alone will prevent.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My 2009 vert has taupe interior. It is not a daily driver, I also have a SUV with black interior. I don't think the taupe is any more difficult to keep looking good. Black shows dirt too. Mainly I just vacumn it out when the crud level gets unacceptable. Periodically I use an interior cleaner with a brush on the areas I touch all the time - mainly the arm rests. My interior is leatherette and the dirt in these body contact areas gets down into the graining so the brush is necessary. After cleaning I apply a vinyl protector. I only do this once or twice a year. If it was a daily driver, maybe I'd have to do it three or four times a year. But I think I would still have to do it with a darker color. I've also used carpet cleaner on the mats once or twice. In almost 4 years. They are also taupe.

I have the BMW carpet mats and they are fairly nice. But when they wear out I will get something different. I am thinking of the Coco mats although they are pricey. Bavarian has carpet mats that look like they are significantly nicer than the BMW ones. Just thought I would mention an observation on BMW mats.

Jim
      02-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

^^^ I have the taupe leatherette in both of my BMWs. I did this for the following reasons.

1. I prefere lighter interiors b/c they stay cooler in hot/humid conditions.
2. I used to only order leather interiors, but when I compared leatherette interiors in BMW and MB, to leather interiors in most other vehicles, I felt the German leatherette is of high quality, feel, and durability. If it were not for the leather smell, most passengers would not even know you have leatherette interior over leather.
3. Cleaning the interior is easy. Any leather/leatherette cleaner will do the job. I clean them about twice a year. No big deal.
4. I always purchase black floor mats when I order light interiors. No issues. I usually clean up any dirt on the lighter carpeted area, upon detecting unsightly dirt/grime. Any carpet cleaner will do the job. No big deal...
5. In my opinion, you just can't beat BMW or MB leatherette.
6. Generally, BMW owners are more particular with their cars. We tend to keep our cars clean, and we care more about maintaining them and cleaning them, than other brand owners, do we not? If this were not the case, we'd all own a lesser expensive vehicle, eh...

GL/BB
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

as for lighter colored seat you might get dyes that rub off your clothes unto the seats. If you do you will ahve to take care of it immediately with a leather cleaner.
      02-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
My 2009 vert has taupe interior. It is not a daily driver, I also have a SUV with black interior. I don't think the taupe is any more difficult to keep looking good. Black shows dirt too. Mainly I just vacumn it out when the crud level gets unacceptable. Periodically I use an interior cleaner with a brush on the areas I touch all the time - mainly the arm rests. My interior is leatherette and the dirt in these body contact areas gets down into the graining so the brush is necessary. After cleaning I apply a vinyl protector. I only do this once or twice a year. If it was a daily driver, maybe I'd have to do it three or four times a year. But I think I would still have to do it with a darker color. I've also used carpet cleaner on the mats once or twice. In almost 4 years. They are also taupe.

I have the BMW carpet mats and they are fairly nice. But when they wear out I will get something different. I am thinking of the Coco mats although they are pricey. Bavarian has carpet mats that look like they are significantly nicer than the BMW ones. Just thought I would mention an observation on BMW mats.

Jim
Very good info -- thanks, Jim. BTW, I had regular Coco Mats in my last car and I have their sisal mats in my current car. I know some people don't like them style-wise, but I think they are fantastic. They never move or curl, the build quality seems indestructible and they never seem to get dirty (even ignoring the fact that mine are dark). Here are my current sisal mats:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1276238985
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1276238985

Whether I go Taupe or Savanna, I'm getting another set of Coco Mats for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
as for lighter colored seat you might get dyes that rub off your clothes unto the seats. If you do you will ahve to take care of it immediately with a leather cleaner.
Right. I have some belt line staining on my current Oyster seats. After 3 years and about 25,000 miles, it's noticeable, but not terrible. I should have treated/cleaned the seats along the way, but I never did. Lesson learned for the next set.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiem View Post
^^^ I have the taupe leatherette in both of my BMWs. I did this for the following reasons.

1. I prefere lighter interiors b/c they stay cooler in hot/humid conditions.
2. I used to only order leather interiors, but when I compared leatherette interiors in BMW and MB, to leather interiors in most other vehicles, I felt the German leatherette is of high quality, feel, and durability. If it were not for the leather smell, most passengers would not even know you have leatherette interior over leather.
3. Cleaning the interior is easy. Any leather/leatherette cleaner will do the job. I clean them about twice a year. No big deal.
4. I always purchase black floor mats when I order light interiors. No issues. I usually clean up any dirt on the lighter carpeted area, upon detecting unsightly dirt/grime. Any carpet cleaner will do the job. No big deal...
5. In my opinion, you just can't beat BMW or MB leatherette.
6. Generally, BMW owners are more particular with their cars. We tend to keep our cars clean, and we care more about maintaining them and cleaning them, than other brand owners, do we not? If this were not the case, we'd all own a lesser expensive vehicle, eh...

GL/BB
I agree that the leatherette offerings from Mercedes and BMW are quite good, though I'd say Mercedes' is a bit better. If I could get the Premium Package without leather, I'd probably do that, but that's not an option AFAIK.

Though I don't need or want everything in the Premium Package, I do need lumbar support -- BMW's seats without lumbar support hurt my lower back -- and I'm consistently disappointed that BMW retains such a basic comfort and ergonomic necessity for one of their expensive packages. Lumbar support should really be standard on every BMW, but it's not, so leather it is for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
Right. I have some belt line staining on my current Oyster seats. After 3 years and about 25,000 miles, it's noticeable, but not terrible. I should have treated/cleaned the seats along the way, but I never did. Lesson learned for the next set.
Not many people know this but you can get the seats repainted. Most seats are dyed to get the beautiful colors that they are. That dye which is really a paint wears off over time and can be refinished to look brand new by professionals. Comparitively the price usually isnt that bad but you will spend a few dollars. I love black and brown lether seats the best. Shoe polish and a leather brush and voila all done. white or red or any other color that they dont readily make dyes for is much harder and require a quick trip to the pros. Still worth it if you want to get a perfect finish.