BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-31-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
ppDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

One thing they missed in the reviews...

Is how the car handles in wet conditions?

as you all know we only get two options, 18" summer performance tires, or 17" all season tires (correct me if i'm wrong), but both these options are RFTs, which are not great at handling to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
turbomg
Acquiring the taste.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaBLoS View Post
but both these options are RFTs, which are not great at handling to begin with.
I'm pretty sure the answer is "like shit."

I have no experience with the particular brand of tire that the 1 will be shipping with, but if they're anything like the Pirellis that came stock on my MINI, they will be dreadful.

It's not so much the wet that is the problem, but the cold. My Pirellis turn into solid rock when the temp drops below 50. I hope the 1er's runflats are better, but I don't particularly care, because they will be coming off as soon as I take the keys from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomg View Post
I'm pretty sure the answer is "like shit."

I have no experience with the particular brand of tire that the 1 will be shipping with, but if they're anything like the Pirellis that came stock on my MINI, they will be dreadful.

It's not so much the wet that is the problem, but the cold. My Pirellis turn into solid rock when the temp drops below 50. I hope the 1er's runflats are better, but I don't particularly care, because they will be coming off as soon as I take the keys from the dealer.

Your Perelli's are probably high-performance summer tires. They are not made for low temp. driving. It should say so in your car manual. HP Summer tires are designed for excellent dry/wet traction. Not dry/wet/cold. Being runfllats does not make them better or worse at cold temp. it is the compound that the tire is made out of that dictates how they behave in cold temps.

Back to the original posters questions, if they are indeed, HP summer tires that come with the sport package (which the typically are) you should get pretty good wet traction. Keep in mind, if they are summer tires DO NOT EXPECT cold weather handling. As they are not built for that purpose. If you want cold weather handling, buy all-seasons or a set of winter tires.
Appreciate 0